Cool

ILS approach by copilot

Recommended Posts

When doing an ILS approach from the right hand side, and having transfer the Navigation to the copilot, the ILS goes as it should. The only thing is that the glide slope on the copilot HSI is still sourced from NAV1 whereas on the copilot HDI it is from NAV2.

Not a big issue I put the ILS freq on both NAV1 and NAV2 and that's set but just for information as I do not know if it is right

Pascal

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Pascal,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by transfer the Navigation to the co-pilot. Did some experimentation with Beta 3.6 in P3Dv4.3 and found that if I put the ILS freq in Nav2, it drives both the GS and LOC on the co-pilot's HSI. Changing the Nav1 frequency between the ILS frequency and another frequency did not affect the co-pilot's HSI GS or LOC display.  I did find that Nav1 does seem to affect the TO/FROM flag on the co-pilot's HSI. This I think is a coding typo type bug that can be fixed.

If by transferring navigation you mean using the AP XFER switch, then when you turn  that switch on (green light) Nav 2 should be driving the AP Nav and APR modes.

Al

Edited by ark

Share this post


Link to post

Hi Al

yes by transferring navigation using the AP XFER switch, then when you turn  that switch on (green light) Nav 2 is driving the AP Nav and APR modes. That's ok!

The only thing is the glide slope indicator on the HSI of the copilot is still based on NAV1 freq

The glide slope indicator on the copilot HDI is fine based on NAV2 freq

The turn around is to put tune NAV1 and NAV2 on the ILS freq.

Pascal

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Cool said:

Hi Al

yes by transferring navigation using the AP XFER switch, then when you turn  that switch on (green light) Nav 2 is driving the AP Nav and APR modes. That's ok!

The only thing is the glide slope indicator on the HSI of the copilot is still based on NAV1 freq

The glide slope indicator on the copilot HDI is fine based on NAV2 freq

The turn around is to put tune NAV1 and NAV2 on the ILS freq.

Pascal

Pascal,

I'm still a bit confused. What I tried to say above is I do not see the problem you are reporting. In my sim (with Beta3.6 in P3Dv4) the GS in the copilot's HSI does NOT respond to the ILS frequency in Nav1. If I put the ILS freq in Nav1, and not in Nav2, the copilot's HSI has a red flag over the GS range so it does not 'see' Nav1.

What sim and Beta version are you using?

Also, what GPS units are you using? If you have dual GPS units, typically the first one contains the Nav1 radio, and the second one the Nav2 radio, but they BOTH could be Nav1 if they were setup that way.  The Nav1 and Nav2 radios on the center console duplicate what is in the GPS units assuming Nav1 in GPS1 and Nav2 in GPS2.

To be clear, the AP XFER switch does not transfer anything to the co-pilot's side. It simply selects which NAV will drive the AP, and there is only one active AP in the a/c. There are two physical AP panels, but they always show the same thing.

Does anyone else have the problem Pascal is reporting? Am I missing the point somehow?  Am I more confused than usual?  😁

Al

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Hi Al,

Sorry not to be clear enough 🙃

P3DV3,  Flysimware's GNS 530. When the copilot is the PF. The AP XFER is green then NAV(loc) is linked to NAV2.

On the copilot side the localiser bar on the HDI is linked always with the NAV2 (AP XFER or not). it is the VOR2 course. it is also the case for the GS deviation on the HDI (ILS freq tuned on NVA2)

There is no VOR course indication on the HSI but the copilot HSI GS deviation works only with NAV1 ILS freq.

The turn around is to tune the ILS freq on NAV1&2. Then the GS deviation on the copilot HSI is also operational.

Hope this is more clear but anyway not important. I fly from the copilot side because I have the Thrustmaster Warthog throttle on left hand.

Pascal

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, Cool said:

Hi Al,

Sorry not to be clear enough 🙃

P3DV3,  Flysimware's GNS 530. When the copilot is the PF. The AP XFER is green then NAV(loc) is linked to NAV2.

On the copilot side the localiser bar on the HDI is linked always with the NAV2 (AP XFER or not). it is the VOR2 course. it is also the case for the GS deviation on the HDI (ILS freq tuned on NVA2)

There is no VOR course indication on the HSI but the copilot HSI GS deviation works only with NAV1 ILS freq.

The turn around is to tune the ILS freq on NAV1&2. Then the GS deviation on the copilot HSI is also operational.

Hope this is more clear but anyway not important. I fly from the copilot side because I have the Thrustmaster Warthog throttle on left hand.

Pascal

You were right we found the copilot GSI flag was assigned to the nav 1 which should have been nav 2. Also we found the copilot ADI GSI was nav1. 

So before you get lost on this fix we are sure all the GSI needles and flags are correct now. So test beta 3.9 when released.

Share this post


Link to post

Hi

P3Dv3 + Falcon V4.5

Just did an ILS approach tonight from copilot side with AP XFER green, the ILS freq NAV2 was not captured. When I put the ILS freq on NAV1 the copilot side HDI/HSI captured the ILS loc & glide...

Well it was just one test but it seems that copilot side is back to NAV1.

Pascal

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Cool said:

Hi

P3Dv3 + Falcon V4.5

Just did an ILS approach tonight from copilot side with AP XFER green, the ILS freq NAV2 was not captured. When I put the ILS freq on NAV1 the copilot side HDI/HSI captured the ILS loc & glide...

Well it was just one test but it seems that copilot side is back to NAV1.

Pascal

What is the HDI?

Al

Share this post


Link to post

Just above the Horizontal Situation Indicator there is the Attitude Display Indicator

May be I am wrong to call it like this 🙄

Pascal

noted; I wrote HDI instead of ADI

Edited by Cool

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, Cool said:

Just above the Horizontal Situation Indicator there is the Attitude Display Indicator

May be I am wrong to call it like this 🙄

Pascal

noted; I wrote HDI instead of ADI

OK, I see, I should have realized that.  ADI is fine.  I think the problem you were having has been fixed. Give it a try in the next update.

Al.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

This works like a charme in B4.6 !  thank you very much 😃

Pascal

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now