Sign in to follow this  

Virtual Reality first impressions (Samsung Oddysey+)

I just made a quick comparison between between the Canopy reflection in the Discus (original and replacement).  Just on the monitor. Based on that I would highly recommend the replacement. If far more subtle. Lets hope the difference is as good in VR.

@glider1

Thanks DiscusX lives on! It's the only VR glider in P3D that has the performance that can at least compete with some of the newer gliders on onlinecontest.org. It's stall characteristics and spin aren't modeled real good but in the normal performance envelope it is a great model. Love that it is one of the only planes in P3D that has a pilot so in VR I have a body 🙂

Edited by glider1

5 hours ago, Avidean said:

I just made a quick comparison between between the Canopy reflection in the Discus (original and replacement).  Just on the monitor. Based on that I would highly recommend the replacement. If far more subtle. Lets hope the difference is as good in VR.

@glider1

Just officially tried it out in VR awesome thanks Avidean it is clearly much better. I will cherish those dds forever 🙂 

The DiscusX must look pretty sweet in the Oddysey+ headset. It is an old model though. 2007 file dates I saw.

Edited by blueshark747
  • Like 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Had a few VR hours today and I can report that everything is coming together nicely. Figured out some irritations like getting the the cockpit sounds to work in A2A Aircraft. I must say that VR performance on a vanilla install of the latest release of X-Plane 11 is out of this world. I cant wait to load it down with some freebies like the Zibo and MisterX.

The biggest deal today is that I settled on not warring my glasses will using the head set! i

If I take of my glasses right now the world to me has lower resolution than the Samsung Odyssey+

I'll hazard a guess that its probably about the same as the previous generations of VR headsets. Although reality has far better AA than virtual reality!🤣

But I have discovered that since the only thing I take exception to doing in reality without my glasses is looking at Text or photo's or objects with fine details. For example I am typing this on a 1080p 60" screen that is about 8' away with the zoom on the browser set to 150%. It is crystal clear to me but if I take of my glasses I can't read a work of it. well I can just about read it but its is completely blurry. Even slightly more blurry I could make out a single letter.

I noticed that life in VR is about the same as in reality without my glasses and if it put them on in with the VR headset on I am not sure that there is much of a difference. I stall have to lean in to see some the smaller characters on the instruments. It a little weird for me but I am sure I'll get used to it.

So I continue to be blown away by VR! I term of performance tuning and setting etc. I have had to just throw away everything I practiced in the past. The learning curve is step and I am starting to get some great result.

Dirt Rally in VR is just amazing!

On 12/1/2018 at 2:19 PM, Avidean said:

About 10 years ago I got wind of this device that had 2 screens and it was more or less a VR head set without tracking and I figure that I could get it to work with TrackIR. I cannot remember what it was called but I think back then I paid something like $500 for it. Anyway, I gave it a go and promptly sold it on ebay. I had very low res and field of view was so small it was like sitting in a dark room about 20' away from a 20" monitor.

HaHa! I came across it in a post i was reading. You see, I was a really early adopter! LOL

https://goo.gl/images/L93FhG

Now that the novelty of actually being in the cockpit or flight deck while flying over a plausible world has worn off I thought it would be a good to give a final word on my VR experience with the Samsung Odyssey+.

Although it hasn't been plane sailing I'll say at the outset I am never going back to simming or gaming on a screen. The VR experience despite the con's is very very compelling indeed! It is to all intents and purposes the matrix or perhaps the matrix in the matrix.

It will only get better. However thanks to Devon I picked up an app called FPSvr.

I had some time to play around in Prepar3D V4.4 and XP11 to decide which one I was going to uninstall because I cannot split my time between sims. As an aside when I get around to giving Condor2vr a serious try given that I am a sailplane pilot, if its a very compelling experience I might drop P3D and XP11 altogether and stick with online sailplane racing in my spare time.

But I find myself ready to commit to a study level aircraft in more dept thanks to VR so I might dive into the PMDG 777 which I have had for a long time but never really got to deeply into it.

So the cons are I think solely related to performance and setting and having to figure out the sweet spot all over again. The good news is that in Prepar3D V4.4 using unlimited frames and Vsync works like a charm with 90hz refresh rate of the Samsung Odyssey+ to deliver a very smooth 30fps. Just like on a flat screen but without setting the refresh rate of 30hz. (3 x 30 = 90)

The catch is that boy do I have to lower my display setting big time to maintain 30fps on my system.

Here is a screen shot of my display setting running AS, ORBX Global, OpenLC, Vector, FT CYYZ and PMDG 737 to maintain 30fps in VR:

VR%20setting%20in%20P3D.png

Not that I am complaining. You don't need those huge draw distances in VR. You cannot see that detail in VR. Or at least I can't. If I had to set my LOD and Draw distance ad autogen that low on a screen I would be very disappointed.

But in VR its acceptable. I know its hard to believe but it still looks great and in other scenarios I am sure I can get more autogen and still make over 30fps.

The other thing is the impact P3D has on my i7 4770K. You really need an app called FPSvr to tune you games and sims in WMR. It shows both CPU Frame time and GPU Frame and FPS in the GUI in the headset.

Before seeing this I was thinking my next upgrade would be a 1080ti but look what P3D does to my 4.8ghz cpu compared to the impact on my GTX 980ti.

Clearly the CPU is the bottleneck not the GPU.

Even so with its single thread dependent performance I wouldn't anticipate a 1st or 2nd generation multicore CPU at 5 or even 5.2ghz offering much in the line of higher fps.

The situation with XP11 is about the same and I have decided to drop XP11 for now because I think Prepar3D 4.4 looks better than XP11 in VR and I because I can get better visuals maintaining over 30fps

That is the key though in P3D. It has to be smooth and so long as you can maintain over 30fps with the Samsung Odyssey+ it will be but you will have to compromise in your setting.

I am really just getting started with tuning the sim for VR and I think the FPSvr is an essential tool.

FPSVR%20GUI.png

1 hour ago, Avidean said:

The other thing is the impact P3D has on my i7 4770K. You really need an app called FPSvr to tune you games and sims in WMR. It shows both CPU Frame time and GPU Frame and FPS in the GUI in the headset.

Before seeing this I was thinking my next upgrade would be a 1080ti but look what P3D does to my 4.8ghz cpu compared to the impact on my GTX 980ti.

Clearly the CPU is the bottleneck not the GPU.

Even so with its single thread dependent performance I wouldn't anticipate a 1st or 2nd generation multicore CPU at 5 or even 5.2ghz offering much in the line of higher fps.

The situation with XP11 is about the same and I have decided to drop XP11 for now because I think Prepar3D 4.4 looks better than XP11 in VR and I because I can get better visuals maintaining over 30fps

That is the key though in P3D. It has to be smooth and so long as you can maintain over 30fps with the Samsung Odyssey+ it will be but you will have to compromise in your setting.

I am really just getting started with tuning the sim for VR and I think the FPSvr is an essential tool.

FPSVR%20GUI.png

And that's when you hop into Aerofly for a bit and zoom over New York or the Netherlands with Max settings at 90FPS. Since there are no study level planes (closest would be the Q400) yet, the sim will likely not interest you, but boy is it nice in VR!

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Thanks for that report. Yeah I do like the way P3D is controlling the frame rate automatically in VR like the old fullscreen 1/2 VSYNC setting in FSX. Interesting how it locks to 30FPS on your rig which is a nice compromise a lot of the time. On my 7700k/2080 rig it locks to 45FPS on simpler aircraft and on complicated aircraft it will lock at 22.5 roughly. Always a multiple of the devices native FPS (90Hz).

12 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

And that's when you hop into Aerofly for a bit and zoom over New York or the Netherlands with Max settings at 90FPS

I have fired up ASF2 and I've tried the Flyinside demo to. VR is those sims in really incredible. I'd love to see that kind of performance in Prepar3D. Perhaps V5 😆