Sign in to follow this  
G7USL

OK! FSX what am I going to need in the way of a compute...

Guest stalo

I am not totally computer illiterate,I do know how to press the on button, however,I am just an old pilot that can't fly any more. I have tryed FSX and it is obvious, I will need an upgrade if I am to take advantage of all the capability of FSX. I have read all the threads on DX10, and the fact that two video cards and sound cards will not be available until DX10 and Vista,which came to me via another site. So the questions running around in my head now, is does one need duel core, since without DX10 you can't use two video cards,or sound cards and I also found out,64 bit technology will not be in FSX. I would appreciate it if; since most of you are more up on this hardware than I, if you would give some advice as to what would make a good computer to run FSX basically full up, and I will worry about DX10 when FS11 comes out.:-)

Guest Loiosh

Took me awhile to read through and find my recomended list. Here's what I have been advising:Here's the system information I'm targetting:CPU: 1x Dual-core AMD (64) or Intel (Core2) CPU.-- FS is extremely CPU-intensive. Unlike most games a good dual-core CPU will assist greatly with FSX. Especially with the game utalizing multi-threading. Right now there is no doubt that the Core2 processors are -the best- on the market in terms of raw speed, energy used, and price. My recomended CPU at this time is the E6600 which is a 2.4 GHz with 4MB of L2 cache. Review of the Core2: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2795Mem: 3GB DDR2 RAM-- 2GB is the min currently for optimal gaming experience. 3GB is a precaution to allow you 1 year of time with this computer. If you plan to overclock, buy the quality RAM (~$400 for 2GB)Motherboard: NVIDIA nForce 5 with SLI. For AMD make sure you buy the AM2 models. DFI-Lan Party or ASUS brands recomended for quality of componentions and support.-- You want that integrated 1 Giga-bit ethernet and the nForce's superior memory bandwidth and SLI ability. Expect the nForce 5 in September.Video Cards: NVIDIA (unknown). Wait for DX10 compatibility.-- Buy one just behind the bleeding edge (See the 7800 GTX for $500 and pick up the 7800 GT for $350. You win). Purchase your second card in 6 months and run them in SLI mode. Expect these cards in October both from Ati and Nvidia.HD: SEAGATE 300 GB Min or Greater. SATA1 or SATA2-- Your PSS, CLS, PMDG, Reality-XP, Wilco and FS-Build add-ons eat up space. Don't be afraid to wait for a Fry's sale and pick up the 500 GB Seagate monster for $205. HD speed means little for someone running 4-hour flights. Seagate is currently regarded as the highest quality vendor. (That's a personal and professional opinion)OS: Windows Vista Home Premium (minimum) / Ultimate (max)-- You want DX10? You want the best effects? Be ready to shell out another $300-$500 for Vista... or purchase it along with your system.Extras: Creative Labs X-Fi Sound Card-- Best hardware acceleration on the market combined with the worst drivers released. Creative will have to work hard to maintain their Green vendor rating when Vista releases. 128-hardware accelerated 3d sound channels means less CPU-overhead running 5.1.This is my current recomendation for a 2006-October 2007 system.My purchase order is as follows: This month (August)NXZT Apollo with an extra 120MM fan ($60).600 WATT Dual-Rail 12V CoolMax SLI-Certified ATX power supply ($140)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817159057Substitute a 700 WATT model for $170. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817159058Next month:Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) ($300)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820145038Motherboard: NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI (~$200 for ASUS/DFI)October: 2nd-highest quality NVIDIA DX10 card (~$400 retail upon release).Any time: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 with 4MB L2 cache. Expected price: $316 per Intel Road-map. No price-drop expected.That's the system I'll be purchasing over the months until October when the first video card purchase is made. Pick up the second one a month or two later for SLI performance. This is assuming they release October, of course.

>to what would make a good computer to run FSX basically full>up, and I will worry about DX10 when FS11 comes out.:-) Minimum requirements for FSX computer are very modest, so any computer above the 'minimum' will run FSX, the question is how 'well'. Unfortunately everyone has different expectations as to the meaning of "run FSX basically full up" since it depends on too many options and what your own eyes will tolerate as 'run' or 'not run". Get the PC with the latest components that you can afford and be done. ;)Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/for...argo_hauler.gifhttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

>>Unlike most games a good>dual-core CPU will assist greatly with FSX.This is not the case. This is a fallacy repeated here 'ad nauseam' over and over again.Read this important blog directly from Microsoft's developer on the subject of dual core and FSX."The Last Word On Dual Core"http://blogs.msdn.com/tdragger/archive/200.../21/711152.aspxMichael J.

"If you plan to overclock, buy the quality RAM (~$400 for 2GB)""Motherboard: NVIDIA nForce 5 with SLI. For AMD make sure you buy the AM2 models. DFI-Lan Party or ASUS brands recomended for quality of componentions and support.-- You want that integrated 1 Giga-bit ethernet and the nForce's superior memory bandwidth and SLI ability. Expect the nForce 5 in September."Bit of a contradiction here as it is well known that the 590 boards will not overclock very well (compared to the Intel chipsets) with the Core 2 Duo'sSome DDR2-667 or standard DDR2-800 will be fine for most overclocks.These can be had for less than $250DDR2-667 = 333FSB 1:1DDR2-800 = 400FSB 1:1This will be enough for 95% of overclockers.

>"Motherboard: NVIDIA nForce 5 with SLI.Do we know if FSX will benefit from SLI?. FS9 clearly did not (there was even a slight performance dip). SLI is rather expensive to throw your monies at only to find out you get ZERO benefit.Michael J.

>"If you plan to overclock, buy the quality RAM (~$400 for>2GB)">>"Motherboard: NVIDIA nForce 5 with SLI. For AMD make sure you>buy the AM2 models. DFI-Lan Party or ASUS brands recomended>for quality of componentions and support.>-- You want that integrated 1 Giga-bit ethernet and the>nForce's superior memory bandwidth and SLI ability. Expect the>nForce 5 in September.">>>Bit of a contradiction here as it is well known that the 590>boards will not overclock very well (compared to the Intel>chipsets) with the Core 2 Duo's>>Some DDR2-667 or standard DDR2-800 will be fine for most>overclocks.>>These can be had for less than $250>>DDR2-667 = 333FSB 1:1>>DDR2-800 = 400FSB 1:1>>This will be enough for 95% of overclockers.>>>Giharall Just curious what are your settings in FS9 and FSX and fps?Thinking of the E6600 + X1900RX + 2gb ddr667 + same mobo or GigaByte 965P-DS3 better OC....Thanks in advance,Andr

André

Guest JuiceRabbit

True... but if he's buying a new computer he might as well get dual core because the entire system should run smoother. Eg FSX on one core and other programs such as Active Sky and Radar Contact on the other core.I think TDragger did say that FSX does have a seperate thread for loading and decompressing textures, so I guess if that's happening on a seperate core then it should make the main FSX thread smoother.

Guest archtx

September CPU Magazine Extreme Machine:Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 (2.93 GHz) w/ 4 MB Smart CacheAsus nForce SLIx16 chipset motherboard (P5N32-SLI SE)matched pair Corsair XMS 1 GB dimm2 Nvidia GeForce 512MB 7900GTX (Ignore this for DirectX-10)Western Digital 10,000 rpm WD1500 Hard DriveOC2 700w SLI certified PSUSoundBlaster x-FiCooler Master CM Stacker 830Completely out of reach for my budget, although I will probably go with a single GPU and hopefully the Intel CPU will drop in price by the time I get ready (After DirectX-10 availability)I was surprised at the power supply, as I have read that the Core 2 are supposed to cut down on energy consumption.

Guest archtx

"-- FS is extremely CPU-intensive."I have seen this statement several times on forums...and it surprises me. My FS set-up has always seemed more GPU intensive.The machine I am running the demo on is a P4 2.0GHz with 1 GB memory.I have a 256 MB 6800GT Video Card, and it actually runs the FSX demo quite acceptably.

Guest stalo

I want to thank all who replyed, the information given was very helpful. As far as overclocking I shall leave that to all you experts, me I am only looking for "As real as it can get". As I said I'm and old grounded pilot, so I want the aircraft as close to the real thing as I can get them, and to all you who write these programs, my hat is off to you, the programs are getting closer to that goal every day. thank you!

>"-- FS is extremely CPU-intensive.">>I have seen this statement several times on forums...and it>surprises me. My FS set-up has always seemed more GPU>intensive.FS is really very "bandwith" intensive, not CPU intensive. Unfortunately few understand this subtle but important difference.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/for...argo_hauler.gifhttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Guest EdrickV

DX10 1st Gen videocards are expected to require more power then their DX9 cousins. 2nd Gen are supposed to drop the power requirement a bit. Of course, what'll actually happen is yet to be seen.And to correct a misunderstanding in the original post, using two soundcards has nothing to do with DX10 or Vista. You can use two sound cards with FSX Demo right now, with one card getting the ATC and the other getting everything else. With FS9 you can use one for regular stuff and one for TeamSpeak while flying online. I've done both, using a Playstation 2 USB headset. (Which is basically a USB soundcard with speaker and mic.)"Let me help you out. You're cleared to taxi any way you can to any runway you see."