Actually no Rob, AMD is releasing new GPUs as well that are on par with Nvidia's 10 series but much cheaper. This hopefully will cause NVIDIA to lower their prices on the 2070 and below and with any luck their absurdly overpriced and underpowered 2080 and 2080ti series.

Asus X570 TUF WIFI | 5800X3D | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | MSI RTX 4090 | EVGA 1300W | ASUS GT501 TUF | Samsung C49RG90 49" | Oculus Quest 2 | Windows 11 Professional X64

On 12/6/2018 at 5:06 AM, rjfry said:

Guru3D have put the spec sheets on the new AMD the 3850 5.1 boost CPU due may $499, Intel may have a problem keeping the market share next year I'm looking to do major rebuild end 19. 

seems like even Guru3D was wrong ey? haha... still that doesn't make the new Ryzen CPUs a bad thing to build a system on! the 3700X is really good for multipurpose builds while the 3600 is the best bang for the buck and 3900X/3950X is a massive overkill but good for a 4-5 years stand still build.

Regards

-S.

47 minutes ago, Samany69 said:

seems like even Guru3D was wrong ey? haha... still that doesn't make the new Ryzen CPUs a bad thing to build a system on! the 3700X is really good for multipurpose builds while the 3600 is the best bang for the buck and 3900X/3950X is a massive overkill but good for a 4-5 years stand still build.

Regards

-S.

Yes now we know that none will run at the stated boost they may spike up but run lower than stated boost even with a water cooler in test just over 4ghz.

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 hour ago, rjfry said:

Yes now we know that none will run at the stated boost they may spike up but run lower than stated boost even with a water cooler in test just over 4ghz.

yes, but Arguing about bad marketing doesn't make sense since the actual CPU is still performing very well with whatever the h ell it is inside, they made a mistake around the marketing yet the CPU is performing as advertised AND THAT is what I look for not the BS that is written on the box of the any Intel or Nvidia or AMD product since most of them don't matter at all and are just gimmick. I assume if intel makes a CPU that they show off doing 100FPS while clocked @ 6GHz and then all of a sudden the CPU hits the shelf and reviewers realize that it is doing only 5 GHz while maintaining the advertised 100FPS, then what? you'll say Intel is bad? ... Advertisement is always filled with dusts of lying. if AMD or Intel are PERFORMING as advertised, I'll be fine with it cuz I got no time to waste for lies of the big companies.  

and oh, please watch some YT videos carefully because on a Good Cooling Solution the 3900X is doing 4.2GHz which is acceptable and I have to remind you that the boost clock  doesn't mean ALL Core boost, but about the single Core boost clock I've said it all. I have also seen a video of 3900X with SMT off and overclocked to 4.7GHz under Watercooling.

Edited by Samany69

I just feel that we have now reached the universal limits of our current technology in terms of CPU's and cooling abilities. We need a breakthrough.

• Upvote 3

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

On 8/4/2019 at 12:36 PM, Peter Webber said:

I just feel that we have now reached the universal limits of our current technology in terms of CPU's and cooling abilities. We need a breakthrough.

The exponential improvement in CPU clock speed has stalled. 
This has been known for some time:
https://qz.com/852770/theres-a-limit-to-how-small-we-can-make-transistors-but-the-solution-is-photonic-chips/

And the future is quantum computing... as long as the cooling solution becomes a bit more accessible for the mainstream market... :biggrin:

https://youtu.be/zDotDiK2UuY?t=256

On 8/4/2019 at 11:13 AM, rjfry said:

I received and installed my Ryzen 3700X yesterday.

With just PBO enabled, using the updated Ryzen Master utility, a Noctua NH-D15 air cooler and the same c*ppy B350 mobo, I'm getting 4.275 GHz on two of the cores, 4.35 GHz on the fastest core and 4.3 GHz on the remaining 5 cores.
(I haven't even begun to look at manual overclocking of the CPU, playing with tighter RAM timings, or running the memory clock asynchronous from the fabric clock).

How does that translate to simming on P3D? Well it's still early days yet, but on just a couple of flights, I'm seeing gains of 16% FPS high and a whopping 28% FPS low between my new CPU and my old 1700X.

While it's not the 5Ghz we were all mislead to believe by those original leaks, it's looking good for me without a requiring a big hardware change.

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter