Sign in to follow this  
threebears

TCAS 'Pass Test' silent

I'm still having trouble with random refusal of some functions - especially LNAV/VNAV - to engage.  Occasionally there is 'NO V Speed' on the FA tape but I expect they are just me.  However the one I'm pretty sure isn't me is that when I set the TRANSPONDER’S TCAS mode selector (centre console) and the squawk code (2200) there is no confirming audio message - which used to enunciate.

1 hour ago, threebears said:

I'm still having trouble with random refusal of some functions - especially LNAV/VNAV - to engage.  Occasionally there is 'NO V Speed' on the FA tape but I expect they are just me.  However the one I'm pretty sure isn't me is that when I set the TRANSPONDER’S TCAS mode selector (centre console) and the squawk code (2200) there is no confirming audio message - which used to enunciate.

LNAV and VNAV will only engage when both flight directors are on and V-speeds have been entered on the takeoff perf page. lnav will only engage when on a rnav departure otherwise hdg select should be used. tcas test button is on the tcas selector.

On 12/7/2018 at 11:45 AM, ph-cxz said:

LNAV and VNAV will only engage when both flight directors are on and V-speeds have been entered on the takeoff perf page. lnav will only engage when on a rnav departure otherwise hdg select should be used. tcas test button is on the tcas selector.

Thank you.  I wasn't clear enough.  I am following the guidance of the manual in the order it is printed. I do enter the V-speeds on the takeoff perf page and both flight directors are selected on.  For some reason the information does not transfer and sometimes the LNAV and / or RNAV buttons will not select.

10 hours ago, threebears said:

Thank you.  I wasn't clear enough.  I am following the guidance of the manual in the order it is printed. I do enter the V-speeds on the takeoff perf page and both flight directors are selected on.  For some reason the information does not transfer and sometimes the LNAV and / or RNAV buttons will not select.

Please provide the reference in the manual to the RNAV button.

There are at least three different problems in the posts above plus the titled subject.  The latest, "information does not transfer," is pretty vague and anyone trying to help you Andrew will have guess at what you are trying to explain.

First please confirm you have flown both Tutorials and you had no problem completing those.

Dan Downs KCRP

On 12/13/2018 at 4:04 PM, downscc said:

Please provide the reference in the manual to the RNAV button.

There are at least three different problems in the posts above plus the titled subject.  The latest, "information does not transfer," is pretty vague and anyone trying to help you Andrew will have guess at what you are trying to explain.

First please confirm you have flown both Tutorials and you had no problem completing those.

Dear Dan.  My original post title primarily about the aural TCAS "test pass" message, which used to enunciate when selecting TA/RA on the transponder's TCAS mode selector and the 2200 squawk code.  It no longer does (on my system).  I see my error in 'turning' VNAV into RNAV further down the thread, which confused and made things worse. 

For me the problem is that, although I think I'm following the tutorial#1 manual, step by step, sometimes arming LNAV / VNAV at the right time does not work. That is to say the relevant 'button' will not select, illuminate, and stay selected.  In passing I would also say the HGS, although swinging into place properly, remains stubbornly blank - no information.

In answer to your question, I have only 'flown' Tutorial #1 - I do  not want to attempt #2 until I am happy with #1.  The intended reference to VNAV/LNAV, and not transferring info, was about the VREF speeds not always transferring to the speed tape on the PFD when entered on the TAKEOFF PERF page.  Thanks, anyway, for your interest but it's probably best that you don't waste any more time trying to help me until I've sorted myself out - and flown tutorial #2 a few times.  As I said, it's probably something I'm doing wrong.

Andrew

Edited by threebears
Forgot to sign

34 minutes ago, threebears said:

For me the problem is that, although I think I'm following the tutorial#1 manual, step by step, sometimes arming LNAV / VNAV at the right time does not work. That is to say the relevant 'button' will not select, illuminate, and stay selected.  In passing I would also say the HGS, although swinging into place properly, remains stubbornly blank - no information.

The HGS?  I think you mean the ND (Navigation display).  This makes sense if you do not have aligned IRS you do not get a ND display and you can only preflight the FMS all the way up to selecting Vspeeds.  The inertial systems need to be on line for any of this stuff to work.  If you are following the Tutorial, then I believe it starts with the default configuration of engines running and IRS aligned and ready.

Are you starting the Tutorial the same way each time or are you loading previously saved flights?  Also, make sure you do not have any PMDG aircraft set as your default scenario or default aircraft.

I don't consider it a waste of time helping you, just keep in mind no one is looking over your shoulder so you need  to take the time to explain with as much detail as you can what your problem looks like and how you got there.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thank you again Dan, I do appreciate your help.  No, I really did mean HGS: the Virtual Cockpit View Head-up Guidance Display (sometimes also referred to as the "combiner") is described as this in my manual.  No I'm not using saved flights, but starting afresh each time, and my PMDG a/c (737NGX) is not set as default.  I think I'll have to work through all this again, several times, before posting again.