Sign in to follow this  
tttocs

GTN 750 pausing sim and hanging (resolved)

I'm suddenly having a very odd problem.  In any airplane with the 750 (or 650) installed, when I turn on the avionics master the GTN displays the initial Garmin screen and then the sim goes into Pause mode.  When I unpause the sim, the GTN is hung with the initial screen displayed (in the VC) and blank (in the popup).  Nothing can coax it back to life.  I first encountered the problem in the A2A Bonanza, but testing shows it happens in every plane I have the 750 and/or 650 installed in. 

P3D v4.4 and the latest (v2.5.10) RXP version installed.  Everything has worked flawlessly in daily flying since 2.5.10 was released until tonight.

Thanks for any assistance,

Scott

Hi Scott,

Could this be an anti-virus causing trouble all of a sudden? This sounds typical.

Otherwise maybe the computer needs rebooting? Have you changed any setting lately whether in the GTN or the simulator?

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Thanks for the response Jean-Luc.  Well, this just gets stranger.

AV was actually the first thing I suspected.  I have the RXP folders in Program Files (x86) and Program Data excluded, pieces still seem to be in these folders, and my AV says that it has not quarantined anything recently, so I that didn't seem to be it.  The only thing I'd done since the last working flight was plan a new flight at Fltplan.com, restart wx and fire P3D back up.  After I first had the issue, I did reboot but the problem persisted.  Tried multiple planes, restarted the sim multiple times, started the trainer manually to see if it was working properly (it was)..

This morning, I decided to try one more time and the 750 came up perfectly in the Bonanza.  What!?  What had changed?  One thing only - I started at a different airport.  So, I went back to where I'd had the problem (29Palms' KTNP) and sure enough, the problem returned.  I next tried changed to starting at a different spot (moved from spot 7, to spot 1) and... it worked again.  Back to 7?  Nope, doesn't work.

So, the problem seems isolated to one (or perhaps more, I haven't tried others) parking spot at 29Palms' KTNP.  That's.  Just.  Weird.

Problem solved (or at least worked around) for now, but if anyone has any clues as to why a specific parking location at a specific airport would cause this, I'd love to hear them!

Scott

• Upvote 1

Hi Scott,

This is quite weird indeed and I'm amazed how you quickly found out. This usually could take weeks to find out.

This leads me to think it is an error in the DB which makes the trainer fails. Can you try the trainer standalone and position it to spot7 and see if this fails the same? Otherwise, I fail to see anything on our end of the code which could trigger such geographically related problem?!?!

Otherwise anything related to location which we could have an impact involve TAWS and to some extent TCAS.

Besides, have you read this?

Edited by RXP
  • Like 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

@tttocs
Sure it enough it happens here too. I found a way to unhang the unit by opening the GTN settings and changing to a different database. This will force a reboot of the unit then it will work. You can then return to the database you started with. Darned if I know why this happens.

• Like 2

Thanks for looking Bill.  I did take the trainer and set it to the coordinates I get at spot 7 as shown in FltPlan Go [N 34.13618, W 115.94255] and I'm able to start the trainer from that spot and move around, for whatever that's worth.

The workaround (and now workarounds) are pretty simple, so I'm certainly not going to lose sleep over this, but it is doggone curious.

Scott

• Like 1

I thought of another possibility. In the Twentynine Palms manager is the compatibility and expansions. I have FTX SCA. Could it be FTX SCA? I know it's photoscenery, but you never know.

Edited by BillS511

@BillS511Like you, I have SCA installed and the KTNP compatibility patch for it.  That may somehow apply, dunno.

BTW, I tried your change DB and reboot workaround and it didn't work for me.  After hitting the button to reboot, I unpause the sim and when the new reload starts it goes right back to paused and hung again.  It seems for me the only way around it is - don't park in spot 7. 🙂

Scott