Sign in to follow this  
HUSSAR

ORGANIZED thread for FSX demo issues

Guest grapesh

ACES: congrats on a great pre-demo! I was really pleased by new features during my short test-drive!I get same alpha channel problems with cockpit/beacons and textures on houses, ships and cars (and pilots). Moving cars are really nice addition. Although they tend to desappear from time to time when you follow them on a trike.Vibrant island textures, coastlines and shallows are wonderful. I can only imagine what would addons be!Copilot option in CRJ mission is a welcome addition as well as a new ATC dialog window. Rivets on #1 engine (Baron) are offset.Short IFR flight from island to island becomes a long unrealistic vectoring detour (as in FS9). I guess rapid ATC vectoring wasn't addressed in FSX but I can live with that for now.Didn't have chance to check weather, crashes (surprisingly I could land with a blackout cockpit view!) but FPS are nicely smooth around 18-20 with sliders on High. I didn't get those great water textures yet but I'll keep tweaking tomorrow.Again, what I've seen so far is a great work nevermind the documented bugs!My system (current for at least one more year) is:eMachines T5026 Intel Pentium 4, 3.07 GHz, 1Gb of RAM, 160 Gb of HDDMicrosoft Windows XP Home Edition v. 2002 SP2ATI RADEON 9250 (PCI) 256 MbViewSonic VX910 19'

Let me add a few small issues that I have not yet seen mentioned:If this demo is intended to show the new features to best advantage, I'd suggest that St.Bart's runway be correctly positioned on the island. This was incorrect in FS9 and still so. The runway actually runs right down to the beach.Secondly, the VSI thumbwheel in the CRJ runs opposite to the direction of the mouse wheel when adjusted.Minor issues, no doubt, but hopefully they get fixed before the final build..

Bert

Couple of things here, most of them have already been covered:- Exterior lights: Nav lights blink, strobes blink too fast, offset in spot view- Controls: CH Pedals: issue with constant brakes applied- Exterior lights: Logo lights don't seem to work- Exterior lights: Landing lights. Most likely not a bug, but they appear the same as in FS9. I would have hoped for more realistic lighting (see X-Plane), maybe a faint flickering effect and an improved halo/blurriness around the source- Lights: Taxi lights don't seem to work- Lights: Airport lights, again, look like default FS9, there are currently better freeware alternatives- Dual-monitor: Dragged ATC window to second monitor (with different resolution) caused ATC window to flicker and become unusable- Frame rates: I don't think the FPS display (ctrl-z) is accurate, but maybe I am fooling myself. The sim feels much more responsive with better frame rates than displayed.- For the benchmarkers: Around 20fps with "High" settings and default traffic on a AMD4800X2 with Geforce 7600GT and 1GB Ram.- Texture: Sky texture looks unnatural in a thunderstorm (light baby blue)- Texture: Stars seem to appear too early at dusk- Traffic: "Naked" car issue- Traffic: Not sure if dynamic airport traffic is implemented, but I have yet to see moving ground vehicle traffic at any airport- Textures: Textures in the default "free" flight seem a little too bright and cartoon-ish for daytime.Addendums:- Texture/Shaders: Tarmac/Runway rain reflection appears only to be visible in a certain radius around the plane, not in direct vicinity of the plane- Sound: I am not sure, but I can't remember hearing any weather effects (rain drops in cockpit, thunderstorm, etc) or 5.1 surround effects?- Sound: Default music (at least fade it out after selecting a flight or no music at all)Suggestions for improvement:- ATC: Nice box, but way too big, maybe an option to enable ATC history (FSX windows) or a brief ATC overview (a la FS9)- Lights: Mentioned above, improved runway lights, landing lightsThat's it for now,Pat

Guest Bergziege

systemm spec:proz: 3,2GHz (OC 3,4) HTram: 1Gbos: win xp mce sp2graphic: xfx gforce 7800 gsand just found another bug? do not use google's picasa when running fsx in background. could cause a restart of your pc.greez bergziege

Guest Bergziege

hi, there is a MUTE switch at the top right corner of the start screen ;-)i still use the music to calibrate my 4.1 sound system.greez bergziege

Guest Bergziege

hi, with settings for step size i mean that you need about 5 minutes to "walk" from the back of the CRJ to the front in outside view. would be nice to adjust these settings from "walking" to "running".just found the settings for head movement in the fsx.cfg but not for the outside view.greez bergziege

Guest Three Greens

Its good to see some people are really excited about the Demo - I must admit I am less than impressed overall but have to keep in my mind that this is an Alpha/Beta version of the software so things can only get better.I have been taken in by all the screenies released over the last couple of months and thought that is what I would be seeing - would be happy to see something even similar even if meant my PC came to a stop trying to render it.I cannot find any improvements in the demo for somebody that looks for fidelity in FS.WATER - it looks nice but has those black specks when trying to render a shadow from a distanceEVERYTHING ELSE - looks like FS2004 to me.I couldnt care less if a baggage loader comes to my aircraftOr if I can chase Zebras across the desert....Or Drop flower bombs on platforms ....Or race a rocket powered truck....etc....I would like accurate weatherGood looking cloudsAccurate flight modelsAcceptable Scenery not 1000s of Amazon style trees everywhere that sway in the windI will of course rush out and buy it when it comes out - but not because it is an improvement over FS2004 but because the support for FS2004 will die very quickly.I think Flight Game X would have been a better title - still thanks for the look at the Demo.ScottPut me down as dissapointed but hopeful

Crosswinds:I've tried to takeoff with the Baron on RW 27 with winds from 0 with 16 knots and noticed that the aircraft tends to turn into the wind. I'm not an aircraft engineer, but I doubt that this is really realistic.ATC:I'd like the simulation to automatically fall back to 1x speed each time ATC contacts me (_not_ AI planes).Gear:Although this has been addressed before: I'd like to have additional commands for "gear up" / "gear down" (using CH yoke).Hope it's not too late for this... ;-)Thanks,J

Has anyone tried a helicopter yet? I just did the Bell 206B from Owen Hewitt! Well I have some good and bad news! The good news is for everyone who thought it was too difficult to fly a Helo in FS2004. That's no longer a problem! The bad news is it's too easy! This is with all realism settings maxed. I can now takeoff, fly and land a Helo without any tail rotor input!! It seems they went from one extreme to another. Hopefully this is only a bug, or the FSX aircraft will fly more realisticly, but right now it looks like peoples fear of MS dumbing down the flight models to appeal more to gamers may actually be realized.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

>Shame the textures are semi-transparent. I'll work on the>Alpha Channel another day! :DDon't work the afpha channel, just copy the "envmap.bmp" file from FS9/texture to FSX/textureThat does the trick, heard it from CWD on SimOuthouse.Works on the DC2, so...Bye, Rob,And remember: no DC3 without the DC2Visit http://www.avsim.com/hangar/flight/dc2uiver/

http://dc2-fs.com

sigimavsim.JPG

Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.

No DC3 without the DC2

OK, thanks shoreboy and tdragger! :)Seems I have to go and look some more :)>One issue I do have, and I've tried every possible setting in FSX >and in my Video Card controls, and cannot for the life of me get the >cool "mirror" reflections that I see on everyone else's screenshots. >In fact my water in the Demo looks exactly like the water in FS9 >including the shadow caused by my aircraft instead of a cool >realistic reflection. I've even updated my drivers, and downloaded >the lastest version of DirectX today, and still no-joy. Although >when I first load into the sim the "new" water does flash into being >and back off again several times very quickly before turning back to >the "FS9-ish" water. Any suggestions?Sorry, but I can't help you with that...Klas

Guest Tomlin

>OK, great thread...>>My first issue is that when I press the Alt button to activate>the menu bar at the top of the screen, I subsequently cannot>make it go away. I am running a Logitech Wireless Keyboard>Model Y-EJ20 if it helps.>>My second and last issue is that the sim on initial load has>the chosen aircraft sitting quite happily on the runway ready>to go. However as I put my feet on the rudder pedals, (CH Pro>Pedals USB), the "Differential Brakes" message lights up...>Then, as I remove my feet from the pedals, the "Differential>Brakes" message goes away, only to be replaced by a "Brakes">message which will not go away.>>The odd thing is that the sim loads with no brakes message,>but then becomes active upon displacement of the pedals and>then refuses to go away.>>I have re-calibrated my pedals three times and also deleted>and re-created my brake pedal assignments a couple of times to>try to resolve this issue, but to no avail.>>Until there is a fix (for my situation) I am limited to flying>the Beaver as brakes do not have an effect on water.>>All in all, the sim shows a huge amount of promise/potential>and I am really looking forward to the final release version. >Thanks ACES team.>>Chris Porter>:-outta>>Perth>Western Australia>>FYI, My machine specs...>>Intel Pentium IV 3.0GHz (800FSB) Socket 478 pins CPU>w/Hyper-Thread Technology >MSI 875P NEO FIS2R, AGP 8X, i875P ICH5R Chipset with Gigiabit>Lan>1Gb PC3200 Double Data Rate (DDR) RAM CAS-2.5- 400MHz Rated x>2>BUILT By ATI (Original) Radeon 9800PRO w/TV Out & DVI 128Meg>DDR>TEAC DV-W50E, 4x DVD-R/ 2x RW, 16xCD-R, 8xCD-RW, 16xDVD, 32x>CD-ROM Internal Drive Only >Western Digital Raptor 36.0GB HDD IDE, 8MB Cache, 5.2ms,>10,000rpm , S-ATA, w/DataLifeguard for OS>WD 40Gig HD for Data>WD 200Gig HD for MSFS>Hercules Game Theater XP, 6.1 speakers Dolby

Guest cwright

There's a very effective way of controlling these sensitivities and it looks like it should work in the demo, too. Look in the individual aircraft's Aircraft.cfg file and inside you'll find an entry similar to: (flight_tuning)cruise_lift_scalar = 1.0pitch_stability = 1.0roll_stability = 1.0yaw_stability = 1.0parasite_drag_scalar = 1.0induced_drag_scalar = 1.0elevator_effectiveness = 1.0aileron_effectiveness = 1.0rudder_effectiveness = 1.0elevator_trim_effectiveness= 1.0aileron_trim_effectiveness = 1.0rudder_trim_effectiveness = 1.0 Reduce the values for elevator_effectiveness and aileron_effectiveness to suit (e.g. to a value of 0.5 or less), and you should get very nice control. An advantage of this method is that you can tune each aircraft individually. Best regards, Chris

Guest cwright

> The ground textures doesn't seem high res yet.>I believe i'm seeing the mipmaps. Maybe its my system. No>idea..... I've done a comparitive test of ground texture resolution compared with the same area in FS2004. The resolution in the demo is far higher. I'll post the screenshots some time later. However, the difference is far less noticeable for more distant terrain, for reasons of mipmapping and distance blurring etc. But for flying at low altitude the improvement in the ground textures is startling, and is definitely one of the best things in the demo. By the way, be sure to increase your texture resolution settings. I found the highest resolution occurs for settings of 1 meter and better. The higher settings (unused in the demo) strongly imply that the textures will be even better in the full game. Best regards, Chris

Just downloaded the demo, tried it and it's fantastic... thanks Mike and all the guys at ACES, you did a great job! I'm a CRJ fan and noticed a very small thing on the model.. a bracket that is visible from the outside right front gear door. Can please fix this in the final version? :(