Sign in to follow this  
HUSSAR

ORGANIZED thread for FSX demo issues

Guest elias800

Ha,If aircraft exceed 250,000 feet they are aerodynamically not allowed to re-enter as they keep on bouncing in the atmosphere. Above that altitude there is no air (which is about right). Even if I switch off all engines, gear and flap extended; the aircraft bounces at that high altitude. It's not like I am interested in getting the CRJ 700 to the moon, just love to play around the FS and though this might be of interest.Anyway, since everything is there, cars, ships etc. How about a nudist beach? That would make flying the ultralight exciting! Elias

1. The vehicles in the road...all seem to have same speed. They all seem to move in such unison... it seems a little odd. We need either a fast lane and/or with some randomly slow cars..don't know if this is too late and too hard.2. The Primary focus should now be on performance (FPS and no jerkies) with room for addons). For every addons I have in FS9, I have been shelling out FPS. My default FS9 used to be 60-80FPS.... but now running at 15-23FPS... with all my fav addons.Right now..This Performance (FPS and No Jerkies) with sliders set at no less than 70% is what is going to make or break FSX IMO. Things like cloud shadow etc..is totally irrelevant issue at this stage. JMO.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I just checked Real Airs, Decathlon with its smooth guage. It looks like its not so smooth anymore in FSX. But I was able to import it without any issues.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

>See the image. It appears theres an almost straight line>where the runway water effects stop. I am using an Nvidia>7800gtx video card.>>http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/153853.txtIt's a bit tough to view your image when you uploaded as a TEXT file... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I noticed a major problem with the Sun vs. Moon diffuse surface reflections. See if you have the same problem...With the water effects slider set to MAX in the demo, ONLY THE MOON exhibits the diffuse surface reflections. That is, the wide bright reflections from altitude. To test this, here are the moon phases for August 2006: Aug.2nd - First Quarter Aug. 9th - Full Moon Aug. 16th - Last Quarter Aug. 23rd - New Moon Thus, if a person loads a near sunset flight during new moon (Aug. 23rd) it APPEARS to be diffuse reflection from the sun... BUT, it's ACTUALLY TRIGGERED by the new moon's NEARBY PROXIMITY to the sun. (Notice the slight azimuth misalignment of the reflection to the sun's position slightly.) If a first quarter moon flight is loaded near sunset (Aug. 2nd) the diffuse reflection is in the SOUTH (directly under the first quarter moon), while all water under the setting sun is dark. Same for nearly full moonrise, etc. In checking the Avsim threads about the demo, some users seemed dismayed as to why there were no diffuse reflections on max settings, while others said they had them. The date of the loaded flight/moon position could lead to this confusion. Of course at lower water FX settings the env_lowsun.bmp takes over, but it's nowhere near the perfection of higher setting. The diffuse effects are stunning and suburb. It'd be great to get this fixed. I'm hoping that it's not because the sim can only process ONE reflection of this type at a time. If so, PLEASE make it the sun and not the moon...(I've posted this at Tdraggers blog to give him the heads up too...)

"We shall not cease from exploration...

and the end of all our exploring...

will be to arrive where we started...

and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Guest adl320

Overall, I'm glad MS decided to release a demo version prior to general release. Although IMO it was a risky move, I think it provides a way to really see what the sim will be capable of. I know everything is not proper; It isn't supposed to be. It's a demo of a product that's not finished. It is what it is at this point. All I know it has certainly whetted my appetite for the completed version. Hopefully when the finished product is ready, MS will offer a demo as well. It will be an excellent way for us to test the public-ready install before shelling out the big bucks.My first impressions are positive. The demo didn't look like the many images I've seen on the MS website and on AVSIM, but that too is o.k. with me for now. Again, it ain't a finished product! The question I'm really wanting to answer, like many of us, is if I'll need to upgrade my P.C. to keep up. Right now, I have a two-year old Dell XPS Gen I and some add-on's really push the limit.3.2Ghz800MHz FSB2GB RAMATI Radeon 9800XT Pro 256MBXP Home SP2

Guest baksteen33

That is excellent news, Mike. Thanks for the update. I guess you had moments where you might have regretted you offered us this demo. OTOH, the wide variety of setups, languages etc, might have provided some interesting feedback? :-) Kind regards Jaap

I finally found some birds! I had given up on the bird finding thing, and set down my settings a bit for better frame rates. Then I flew by the lighthouse, and what did I see? BIRDS!! :D So I quickly snapped a screenshot of them, then I flew past the lighthouse, paused the sim so I could take some more screenshots, but they were gone when I had moved the camera around so I could see the lighthouse again, and I haven't seen them since :(.Klas

Just did another session and found a couple issues with the CRJ. The throttle cursers on the EICAS (the little white arrows) should be aligned with the actual N1 fan percentage. Also, I think the spool up time on the engines is way to slow.

Guest pjana

Hi,Are you using the shortcut to launch the demo or launching it from program files?Thanks,Piyali

>>6. In the Ultralight, the arms don't always move when>turning,>>sometimes the hands only move looking like the hand has>>"detached" from the arm.>>It's likely that the 9800 doesn't support the instructions>needed for smooth animations. If so you won't get wing flex or>animated jetways either. You might to consider a video card>upgrade.>Hi Mike,Should we see airport vehicles move around in the final product, because I saw somebody mention that a baggage cart drove through the RJ in the demo. The only vehicles I see moving are the ones on the road. And I am not sure how old the 9800 is but I have an Nvidia 6800GT... hope I do not have to change cards. Anyway great demo so far... love what I see.Thanks,

\Robert Hamlich/

Guest Bergziege

just download and rename as jpg ... works fine and nobody has download problems ;-)

Getting to like it after my first more negative impressions and tweaking some settings. Two things that I noticed this afternoon:-1. When I turned on the rain the water textures started flashing on and off every second or two. (Love the wet runways!)2. I see that the file structure has been changed such that the Aircraft directory is now in a folder SimObjects. Unless this is just for the demo, this will surely prevent add-ons such as the PMDG 737 from installing itself as it won't know where to go. Not sure if such a complex a/craft can be installed manually by moving folders?Otherwise, based on this demo, it shows great promise.My machine:-Gigabyte K8 Triton main board.AMD Athlon64 3000+1GB PC3200 DDR RAMGeforce 6600GT 128MBIain Smith

Guest RobertK

>1. When I turned on the rain the water textures started>flashing on and off every second or two. (Love the wet>runways!)Got the exact problem.(water set to shader 1 high btw)Regards,Robert

>Well, after installing FSX in Vista let me tell you (hopefully>because the beta status of the OS and the graphic card>drivers),>that there is no difference whatsoever between Vista - DX 10>and >XP DX 9.3 at this time.You don't think that could be because your Vista runs DX9? AFAIK there is no available hardware capable of running DX10, which is required for using DX10.Edit: Oh, and FSX does not have support for DX10 at this time, a patch will be provided sometime after Vista is released.Klas