Sign in to follow this  
LTCSZ

Elevation Agonies Continue With Orbx

I am still having horrible problems with FSX-SE and Orbx scenery...I have a pure Orbx scenery library...No other add ons...I am running Orbx Global Base, but that is absolutely all...I have un-enabled it in the Scenery Library but it changes nothing.....I would welcome any ideas or suggestions!

Steve

7 Miles NW of KGCK

Try to keep your similar topics in one posting.  If I had access to my desktop computer at home, I would merge this topic with your other Orbx post.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Do a search in your scenery folders and look for elevation files for the airport that has problems and rename them to .OFF.

ORBX Global Base, which consist of textures and some landclass scenery, cannot be the cause of your airport elevation problems. 

Airport elevation problems are usually caused by using more accurate terrain mesh, i.e. mesh with a resolution of 19m or better.  I believe that the default FSX airports were placed using 38m, 76m, and 150m resolution mesh, so using higher resolution mesh than this can have an adverse affect on the flattened area of an airport.  As the airports 1)are not all precisely located, and 2)they sit on forcibly flattened areas, parts or all of the airport can end up being on top of high plateaus or down in deep canyons.  ORBX Global Vector fixes a lot of these issues by relocating many airports and adjusting their altitudes, but you still get the plateaus and low areas in some places.  Generally, the more accurate the terrain mesh the more pronounced this problem is.

There is also local "smoothing" mesh for many airports which will eliminate the plateaus and canyons.  This is available from a couple of developers I believe.

Dave

Edited by dave2013

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

The scenery at the same airport looks perfect with that airport's Orbx add on disabled, so it's got to be something in Orbx...The hunt continues...

Steve

7 Miles NW of KGCK

Are you running FTX Vector (gives you roads/railways/coastlnes etc)?

I ask because you can't disable FTX Global as it doesn't insert any entries in the scenery library at all...it's a straight up texture replacement of the original FSX textures with no scenery library entries to disable.

FTX Vector does....and it's also got some well documented elevation amendments around airports that can put airports on plateau's or in troughs depending on how (in)accurate the original FSX airport elevations can be.

Regards

So, can I run my regular Orbx without Global Base installed? I think I will delete Base and Vector. Thanks.

Steve

7 Miles NW of KGCK

3 minutes ago, LTCSZ said:

So, can I run my regular Orbx without Global Base installed? I think I will delete Base and Vector. Thanks.

You're original post states you only have " I have a pure Orbx scenery library...No other add ons...I am running Orbx Global Base, but that is absolutely all."

I'm guessing you have FTX Global - this is a total texture replacement...nothing else...and can't be "switched off" via scenery library and will NOT cause any elevation issues.

I'm guessing you also have FTX Vector - this is a replacement for roads/railways/rivers/coastlines etc and as you are aware, can be switched off via scenery library. However, this product also includes elevation adjustments for airports in this product and this is what WILL be the cause of your issues.

Have a search on the ORBX forums as its quite a widely known issue there....they also provide a tool to try and help alleviate/eradicate/minimise some of these elevation issues without having to switch anything off.

Regards