Sign in to follow this  
Guest KrazyIvan

Will A/C lights illuminate buildings, vehicles etc....

Hi,I was wondering if aircraft lights will be improved. I noticed in the demo that the taxi lights will only illuminate the ground and not the buildings and vehicles and other objects in front of the A/C. If this was added it would go a long way to add more eye candy to the sim. I was impressed when I saw that feature in LOMAC from Ubi Soft.Just curious. Thanks,

\Robert Hamlich/

We're stuck with that horrible washed out light texture on the ground again? Wow, I had headlights that illuminated the surrounding area realistically in the PC game 'Need for Speed' back in 1995. Is it really that much different for flight sim to do this? Why is the lighting so behind the times?Keith

Guest tdragger

Hmm, I don't think FS has been compared to NFS before but I'll add it to the list along with Half Life, Far Cry, Crysis, ... ;)

>Hmm, I don't think FS has been compared to NFS before but>I'll add it to the list along with Half Life, Far Cry, Crysis,>... ;)I once called it Zork + Wings - Grue.

Am I being stupid or is it a known issue, but I can't see the landing lights from the 2D cockpit

Alaister Kay

>Hmm, I don't think FS has been compared to NFS before but>I'll add it to the list along with Half Life, Far Cry, Crysis,>... ;)^^^Keith, this is code for, "It's not quite so simple to render that in FS as it is in NFS" :)Rhett

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>>I once called it Zork + Wings - Grue.You've just predated everyone here by about 10 years.Rhett

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

:-) Ha, well I surely wouldn't compare FS to NFS or any other "game" as far as scope or it's intended audience. It just seems that this version of FS is primarily focused on visual improvements and I seriously wonder why the lighting is not also updated. It would surely add to the immersion factor at night. I don't have a clue about programming, but I would think that the same technique that could be done 11 years ago in other programs could be used within FS today. How is lighting the area around a plane different than around a car? Surely the size of the FS world shouldn't make much difference. Framerates maybe? There must be a reason...help me understand!! :-) At least there are replacement textures that look much better, so not a big deal...just puzzling.Keith

Guest Joker328

>Hmm, I don't think FS has been compared to NFS before but>I'll add it to the list along with Half Life, Far Cry, Crysis,>... ;)It's amazing how easy it is to avoid answering the tough questions by pretending that MSFS and its developers are somehow not subject to the standards of other mainstream game developers. I mean you're not even providing excuses for the fact that several aspects of this graphics engine were antiquated about 5 years ago. You just throw out a little quip here or there to let us know you're listening. But more than that you're letting us know that you don't really take our criticism seriously and that FS is above such pedestrian (pun intended) amusements like Half Life or Far Cry (games with much stronger followings than FS I might add). Now, I recognize that the world of FS is much bigger than that of those games, but new technology has made it possible to create more realistic lighting effects as seen in many of those games with proportionally less reliance on processors. There is no excuse for not repairing some of the glaring issues that have remained for multiple generations of FS other than the fact that you did not make them a priority. Perhaps the FS community would be more accepting of some of these issues if you took some responsibility for them and indicated that you had even the slightest inclination to do something about them, either in this release or the next. Maybe you should think about what you're actually saying before you go congratulating yourselves for all of this "community involvement."

>>>>>I once called it Zork + Wings - Grue.>>You've just predated everyone here by about 10 years.>>>RhettWhich is funny, because I'm about 20 years younger than the average.

> new technology has made it possible to create more realistic lighting effects as seen > in many of those games with proportionally less reliance on processors.Your talking dx10, and so nobody has it yet.

Here is what I meant... the lighting does not have the same triangle look that it does in FS9 but has more of a softer difused look, especially around the edges.

\Robert Hamlich/

Guest Thad

"It's amazing how easy it is to avoid answering the tough questions by pretending that MSFS and its developers are somehow not subject to the standards of other mainstream game developers."What a coincidence, it's also amazing how easy it is to accuse neglect and make assumptions about a product's feature(s) when you know nothing about the development of that feature(s) or the product itself. Constructive criticism and suggestions is one thing but whining at the developers because you don't get what, you think, you deserve is just plain irritating. As for congratulating themselves, they don't have too. Many here have already offered their gratitude and appreciation for ACES involvement in this community. Cut these guys some slack will ya. They've been working some pretty long hours lately and many are here, on their own time, trying to participate because they want to be involved.-Thad

Guest OneTinSoldier

This issue was brought up a number of times in the General Discussion forum by a number of people, including myself. I'm somewhat dissappointed it wasn't addressed. There's no doubt in my mind this lighting technique for the taxi and landing lights is quite antiquated. It's like the lights are just throwing down a texture instead of actually lighting up anything.It's not the end of the world or anything, however I do feel tdragger's response/mannerism was such that he just wants to gives us the brush off about this, which is his prerogative. It's also my prerogative to say that I also find, that, to be a little dissappointing. I love the fact that MS guys are getting involved in the community, but I don't like it when I feel the brush off is being given and I will say what I feel from my heart.Regards"Variable this is EasyRhino, do you copy? Over." Loud and clear EasyRhino. "Do we have a gig? Over." That's a Roger, we have a gig. Target is painted, start the music. "Roger that Variable. Into attack. Pickling target. Target is acquired and lit. LGB comin' down!" EasyRhino, circular error probability zero. Impact with High Order Detonation. Thank You, have a nice day.