Polar

Missing Checklists in UTILITIES menu

I have purchased the RXP GTN 750 and have used the Garmin software to develop a checklist for the Carenado B1900. After reading the instructions to the unit, when on the Utility page there is no checklist menu nor do I see a checklist.gtn folder with the acrft. Does the checklist.gtn folder come with an acrft folder or does one have to be made with some special program? I tried simply to make a folder and insert the file into this folder, this did not work.

Am I missing something, I have flown many flights using the unit and all works as planned, I am confused.

Edited by Polar

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi,

please don't over read the manual:

Checklists are created using the Garmin Checklist Editor software and must be saved to a file named checklitst.gtn into the aircraft folder.

Please also read the footnotes:

Supports both "checklist.ace" and "checklist.gtn"

I used the Garmin chklst editor and have a checklist

I understand what you are saying but my questions were not answered.

a) I have no menu file named checklist in the Utilities Menu of the GTN 750

b) I have no file called checklist.gtn and have tried to make one  for the acrft of choice as there is not one located anywhere that I can find.

c) I have a file checklist.ace which I developed w/ the checklist editor and understand how to use the editor

d) I did read the footnotes

I do not understand how all this is placed into the acrft of choice and into the RXP checklist.gtn file or whatever

I am not that familiar w/ data entries and usually can w/ time figure it out, but this one has me confused. I have read the manual watched videos w/ no luck, so I have spent time trying to figure this all out. It would be nice if the instructions had a little more detail. I watched the video on using the editor, and without that I would have never figured it out. I was born in the last half century and my education does not support all the machines of today.🙂

1 hour ago, RXP said:

Checklists are created using the Garmin Checklist Editor software and must be saved to a file named checklitst.gtn into the aircraft folder. Supports both "checklist.ace" and "checklist.gtn"

11 minutes ago, Polar said:

I have a file checklist.ace which I developed w/ the checklist editor and understand how to use the editor

Well why don't you simply copy this file, into the aircraft folder?

I cut and paste file into the carenado B1900 acrft folder last night and again just now and no luck. 

Can you please post the full path and file name to the file you've put in the B1900 folder?

D:\XPlane 10.51\Aircraft\Carenado Aircraft\Carenado B1900D_v3.2

Is this okay

2 hours ago, RXP said:

full path and file name

Since I don't seem to understand the full path and file name could you give me an example as to what you are looking for, it would speed things up.

Thank you

Edited by Polar

Here is an example of full path and file name:

"D:\XPlane 10.51\X-Plane.exe"

compared to yours:

"D:\XPlane 10.51\Aircraft\Carenado Aircraft\Carenado B1900D_v3.2"

Unless Carenado B1900D_v3.2 is a file (which I doubt)?

So 'beyond' the path you've given, there should be a checklist file in this folder, and I'm asking you just the full path AND file name to this checklist file you've saved/copy/created there.

Edited by RXP

In addition: what about first trying a checklist file provided in the sample pack just to make sure there are no file errors?

Review the RXP GTN User's Manual to find out where is the sample pack installed.

Okay I have had a little time here, unzipped the files from common Gtn Trainer checklists.zip and the instructions say to extract the sample ".ace" checklists files

*so I choose the "Cessna" folder and located inside are various chklst. Now the instructions say to rename the FILE to checklist.gtn. I take that to mean for example, 172.ace and rename it to checklist.gtn

Now after this is completed drag and drop the checklist.gtn into the acrft of choice as I am assuming the Aircraft folder does not mean the Xplane acrft folder but an acrft w/in that folder eg Coranado B1900.

With regards to the other things located w/in that zip file:

Garmin Trainer

is-6FIUK,tmp

is-ACIJI,tmp

is-E2LM5,tmp

is-MGAS tmp

are these things to be placed anywhere?

or have I missed this entirely

Well you get the gist of it: choose one, make a copy you'd rename to checklist.gtn (NB: the readme hasn't been updated and checklist.ace is fine now), then move this renamed copy to the aircraft folder.

The aircraft folder is the same where you'd find RealityXP.GTN.ini. In you case, I'd guess:

should look fine, as long as you are running X-Plane 10 using (most likely):

"D:\XPlane 10.51\X-Plane.exe"

and you are indeed loading the carenado aircraft from:

(that is an aircraft file in the aforementioned folder, something ending with the extension ".ACF".

As for the other files you're listing, they are not from our .zip file which contains only ".ACE" files in 2 folders: "Cessna" and "PIper".

Everything that you described w/in your response is exactly as I have it in XPlane.

It does not work. The GTN w/in the utilities menu does not show a checklist menu at all and nothing like the picture  in the manual page 8. Everything I just did according to your instructions I have been doing since yesterday and I am happy in that respect. Maybe there is something w/in the Carenado acrft but I doubt it.

I don't know where to go from here, it would be nice to have the additional function, but we tried. If you can think of anything else plz advise. Thank you for all your time

Just to eliminate a possible interaction with the aircraft, why don't you try copying the same checklist file into the default Baron 58 folder and compare if the GTN in the B58 shows the checklist?

It was a good  thought but it was not successful. Side note the XP version of this plane is not bad. I have never used it. I have the "other one" with all the bells and whistles.

If you wish to continue to explore this issue over the coming days or weeks (lol) send me a note with any new ideas to try, I would love to solve the problem. Has anyone else reported a similar issue.

Edited by Polar

Ok thank you for the quick feedback.

AFAIK it might have happened once in the past and I think it was because of wrong file name ( kind of: you think you type l + i + s + t, it seems it reads ' l i s t ', but in fact your fingers typed i + l + s + t and it is in fact ' i l s t ' )

The only other possible cause is that your user account doesn't have 'read' access rights to the file, which I doubt, but better be safe than sorry.

What you may try is to add under the [GTN_750_1] section of the RealityXP.GTN.ini file the following:

DebugValue = 1

Should there is anything the garmin trainer doesn't like with the checklist file, or any other internal error it has been designed to treat/report, then it will show up in the rxpGtnSim.dll.log file.

I did notice this yesterday and wondered which I should use, in the Checklists section in manual page 8 notice where in BOLD type it reads checklitst.gtn instead of Checklist.gtn I used the correct spelling of checklist with all we have done. I will look at those noted above later today or tomorrow and let you know if anything happens. Thank you🙂 

When you can plz tell me where to locate the rxpGtnSim.dll.log file. Can't find it. Thanks

Good news NO GREAT NEWS I solved it. Got to thinking about XPLane and wondered what could be wrong or different w/ my copy, I loaded XP w/ Administrator Rights originally and I changed that to System this evening. I also changed the name from gtn to ace on the file. In any case no matter which did it, I have a checklist, even the one I made.

When you wrote about the user account read access, that is what triggered the thought.

Thank you for all your help, hope this will maybe help you.

Edited by Polar

Wow I feel ashamed! Our 4 product's manuals contain the typo 😳

We'll silently update the installers with corrected manuals later.

So in the end, besides the typo, have you solved the error because you no longer run X-Plane 'as admin' ? Can you detail a little more if possible so that it might be referenced in the future for other customers experiencing similar problems?

As stated, your comment gave me the clue, as for my installation of XP10, I used administrator rights and never experienced any issues to date. To correct go to main X-Plane folder to make the change.

X-Plane.exe

Right click X-Plane.exe to pull up properties

Click Security then change settings under "Group or user names" to "SYSTEM"  which will remove special permissions  "administrator rights" option (which were applied previous installation)

Simply click "Apply"  then click "OK"

Verify that the check marks are missing next to "Full control"  and "Special permissions" at the bottom of the list.

As for the typo, when noticed during my initial installation I did use both "checklist.gtn" and "checklitst.gtn" as noted in the manual,  I was not sure if this was in fact a typo not being a computer programmer. I ended up using "checklist.ace" for the file and all worked as designed after the change to security settings noted above. One thing I must point out, the user must not title the file placed into the acrft folder eg. B1900.ace as I did, it must read as manual states "checklist.gtns or .ace" for the unit to work.

All in all, after almost 20 years at this I did not think it was your product, ( I only had 1 product years ago which never did work for reasons the developer and I could never figure out), I just could not understand where my install went wrong. I always assume it is me that is in error not the developers.😀

1 hour ago, Polar said:

I always assume it is me that is in error not the developers

We've just managed to prove you half-wrong this time LOL! Sorry for the typo in the manuals but thank you for giving us a chance to help you, spot the manual error, and better our products!

Edited by RXP