Sign in to follow this  
DaveH

GPS Tracking

I get aligned properly on GPS track using heading, then click NAV on autopilot (with or without HDG mode on) and plane will not track GPS.  Sometimes even circling or heading back to original airport.

Am I the only one with this problem, or am I doing something wrong ?  I love this aircraft, but can only follow GPS track using HDG mode.

Can anyone help ?  I am not a Newby.

Dave Hinson

Edit:  Finally got AP to track GPS, but ONLY if on track and on proper heading.  Looking at the AP .pdf file, I did see that AP would track GPS NAV " Once the course is caught, the AP will hold it.".So NO to intercepting GPS track when off-track.  To bad, makes it complicated and attention consuming.

Edited by DaveH
Addition

David Hinson

Can you not set the heading bug in HDG mode so that the plane will intercept the GPS track and push NAV?

Many autopilots will not actually engage GPS NAV mode until the GPS track is intercepted.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Thanks, Bert.  No, the aircraft will fly right through the GPS track.  I must be RIGHT on track and heading in track direction before it will track.  And when finally tracking, plane will sometimes miss a turning waypoint.

Can HDG and NAV be both engaged ?  If not, which takes precedence ?

Just can't get this aircraft to "fly right".

You mentioned in a 2012 post that you had a possible upgrade for the autopilot.  Do you still have it handy ?  Can you send a copy to me?

dhinson458@morrisbb.net

Thanks 

David Hinson

In case you haven't tried this yet, you might verify that the Nav/GPS switch is set to GPS; otherwise, you can't track the gps signal. I use a keyboard shortcut to switch back and forth. Often when I switch from one aircraft to another, the settings for one mess  with the second plane.

Good luck, and if that doesn't sort you out, perhaps uninstall, and reinstall with no antivirus running at all. Sometimes that messes up files. I have found that to be true on A2A plans and the new Vertx Da62.

🙂

Thanks very much, Bert.  My problem was that, being unfamiliar with the Garmin 500 series of GPS units (I have been flying mostly PMDG aircraft ), I did not select GPS on those units, only the CDI on the PFD.

Dave Hinson

David Hinson