Sign in to follow this  
LeifApex

Orbit/Pattern Procedure

There's absolutely nothing wrong with conducting "Orbits" if IFR. So long as you have a clearance (if in CTA) and/or are aware of any conflicting traffic, it's fine.

Just because it can't be programmed into the FMS, doesn't mean it can't be done. Nothing wrong with aviating in HDG mode or hand flying it. Then just pick up what ever track is required (or vectors, and you're on your way 🙂

Cheers,
Ryan

Professional Coffee Drinker/BAe146 Driver
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer

I conduct "orbits" (circuits) of large airports in my PMDG airliners all the time. I set these up as short flightplans, simply because I enjoy take offs and landings much more than high level cruise flight. Probably a weird concept to most virtual airliner pilots (who like to do things "by the book"), but then this is a simulator. Since I do not let passengers on board any of my aircraft (I want them to stay clean and tidy), I do not have to worry about getting anyone from A to B :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

On 2/14/2019 at 8:47 AM, Christopher Low said:

Probably a weird concept to most virtual airliner pilots (who like to do things "by the book"), but then this is a simulator. Since I do not let passengers on board any of my aircraft (I want them to stay clean and tidy), I do not have to worry about getting anyone from A to B

Chris, 

Just because we fly PMDG aircraft using a PC simulator doesn't mean we shouldn't try and do things "by the book".  PMDG have put a great deal of effort into making their aircraft as realistic as possible, so I don't think flying them "by the book" is a weird concept at all for most virtual airliner pilots. 

It is a fact that one of the main reasons why we have simulators today is because too many pilots ended up killing themselves in real aircraft in the past, simply because they didn't do things "by the book".   So, with my tongue in cheek I will finish this by saying thank goodness you don't carry me as a virtual passenger and when PMDG eventually releases their Global Flight Operations please stick to flying their freighters! LOL! 😅