Sign in to follow this  
Drumcode

Anyone running the Rift on GTX 1070 SC2?

My performance on i7 7700k and GTX1070 is absolutely horrible. On the oculus hud I get 22.5 App frame hz and negative performance headroom. lol and that's with everything dialed down to total zero in P3D.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Thats P3D for ya'.

I get negative performance headroom with my setup as well, though I usually have a steady 45FPS with basic settings.

Because P3D and X-plane are so CPU dependant, Vr is pretty hard on them.

Switch to stereo mode and try that.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Meh, I'm not impressed. I'm actually going to say, this sucks. I'm back to TIR and a monitor. I'll be reselling the rift for cheaper than I bought it, my loss. Thanks for your help though. 

Edited by Drumcode

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

7 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Apparently your headset had issues, since my image is actually better than the video, which I thought was a bit dark and fuzzy.

There really is a learning curve for getting the best out of these headsets.

Another viewpoint: https://forums.mudspike.com/t/vr-in-p3d-v4-3-is-getting-good/6868

7 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Apparently your headset had issues, since my image is actually better than the video, which I thought was a bit dark and fuzzy.

There really is a learning curve for getting the best out of these headsets.

Another viewpoint: https://forums.mudspike.com/t/vr-in-p3d-v4-3-is-getting-good/6868

Well, apparently you don't like my warnings to new VR prospects and blame it on my impatient in earlier posts and now on my headset who is/was technical 100% but that is not what you like to see or read. . I see in a lot of Sim fora's your VR propaganda and advocating it and yes, I agree with you that some kind of VR, but in a much better way,  will be the next Sim environment but seeing you constantly writing that the monitor screenshots are the actual Headset representation images or even better "Thru the lens recordings"  is a big lie and you know it. See and read  your latest sub-post from Mudspike.com ... It's definitely a stereo Monitor screen recording and NOT a headset recording and the author is making excuses for the poor lens recording quality, OMG what a joke...

You are some kind of a VR preacher man or do you have some special financial interests in a better VR acceptation in the flightsim market HiFlyer?

Just my 2 cents

Edited by simba_nl

3 hours ago, simba_nl said:

I see in a lot of Sim fora's your VR propaganda and advocating it and yes, I agree with you that some kind of VR, but in a much better way,  will be the next Sim environment but seeing you constantly writing that the monitor screenshots are the actual Headset representation images or even better "Thru the lens recordings"  is a big lie and you know it. See and read  your latest sub-post from Mudspike.com ... It's definitely a stereo Monitor screen recording and NOT a headset recording and the author is making excuses for the poor lens recording quality, OMG what a joke...

You are some kind of a VR preacher man or do you have some special financial interests in a better VR acceptation in the flightsim market HiFlyer?

So let's see.....

1. Vr Propaganda
  2. Big Lie
  3. What a Joke
  4. You are some kind of a VR preacher man or do you have some special financial interests in a better VR acceptation in the flightsim market

Speaking of people who don't like opinions they disagree with......... Your words are quite revealing.

Is it your belief that all of the people out there who very much like VR, even to the point of saying that they will never go back to a monitor also "Have some special financial interests in a better VR acceptation in the flightsim market"?

You can't really say the one without automatically implying the other.

As an aside, I would add that you are right, true through the lens videos are harder to find simply because they are so hard to do: getting your phone or camera into the headset in the proper way to get a steady image that represents what you really see, while keeping the camera within the narrow HMD "sweet spot" and accounting for focus, refresh rate, chromatic aberration, etc is much easier said than done, which is why most settle for photos.

This fact does not require any conspiracy to support it, however.

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

4 hours ago, Drumcode said:

Meh, I'm not impressed. I'm actually going to say, this sucks. I'm back to TIR and a monitor. I'll be reselling the rift for cheaper than I bought it, my loss. Thanks for your help though. 

Sorry it didn't work out for you. 

Whether the benefits outweigh the current limitations of Vr seems pretty subjective, but now you know why my flying is primarily in the sims that handle Vr much better, such as Aerofly, War Thunder, Dcs, Flyinside sim, and to a lesser degree, X-plane.

Devons rig

19 hours ago, Drumcode said:

My performance on i7 7700k and GTX1070 is absolutely horrible. On the oculus hud I get 22.5 App frame hz and negative performance headroom. lol and that's with everything dialed down to total zero in P3D.

I think there must be some other problem in your setup. I have the same CPU a i7700k overclocked to 5.1GHz with a GTX1080 and a rift. It is reasonable even with Orbx scenery. A 1070 isn't that less in power to a 1080. Big cities, big airports are a struggle but regional flying in planes up to a kingair b200 is good enough to get the benefit of VR. I also get 22.5 Hz at times in the cities but it is smooth and the HUD tracking is smooth so no sickness. In country areas in an A2A will get 30 and 45fps.

I'm wondering if those that went from 2D screen to VR and complained about performance did any adjustment to their P3D graphic settings, or simply turned VR on with the same settings as they used previously on a 2D screen. Because if that's the case, it's more than likely that this is the cause of the performance issues.

Gotta turn those settings down in VR.

Edited by andreh

10 hours ago, andreh said:

I'm wondering if those that went from 2D screen to VR and complained about performance did any adjustment to their P3D graphic settings

Hopefully

Devons rig