Sign in to follow this  
LecLightning56

Incorrect character encoding in add-ons.cfg file

When I check for encoding errors in P4AO, I get a message identifying an incorrect character encoding in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\add-ons.cfg file.

Is this normal and can it ignored?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

4 hours ago, LecLightning56 said:

When I check for encoding errors in P4AO, I get a message identifying an incorrect character encoding in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\add-ons.cfg file.

Is this normal and can it ignored?

Yes, you can usually ignore it. The message should be gone when you press "Save" in P4AO.

Best regards

On 2/18/2019 at 12:42 PM, Lorby_SI said:

Yes, you can usually ignore it. The message should be gone when you press "Save" in P4AO.

Best regards

Mine doesn't. Actually never happened before until these days. How can I fix it? Thanks!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

Mine doesn't. Actually never happened before until these days. How can I fix it? Thanks!

As long as your simulator works, you don't have to fix it.

These things usually happen when a non-spec installer or a user manipulates the add-on.cfg files directly using unsuitable means. Those files are not to be tampered with. The proper way to make P3D aware of a new addon is to either use the P3D CLI as described in detail in the Learning Center, or the P3D Autodiscovery folder in \Documents.

btw:

CFG files have to be encoded in UTF-16 (UCS-2 LE BOM in Notepad++) There was a sticky thread to that effect in the Prepar3D subforum once, but it has disappeared now.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI