Sign in to follow this  
IAhawkeyeDDS

US Navy awarded Boeing a $2.4 billion to produce 19 P-8A Poseidon

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I would hope they can track ANY nation's submarines and not just single out China... just saying..

I also wonder if you can fit AMRAAMs to those wing pylons... :ph34r:

On 3/9/2019 at 1:50 PM, HighBypass said:

I would hope they can track ANY nation's submarines and not just single out China... just saying..

I also wonder if you can fit AMRAAMs to those wing pylons... :ph34r:

Maybe not AMRAAMs but possibly Sidewinders for token self-defense.  

I'm not sure if they'll fit rails but if I were in charge, I would want them on there.  I would guess that like the P-3, they are designed to operate where there are no enemy fighters around, but, that's never a sure thing...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mace said:

Maybe not AMRAAMs but possibly Sidewinders for token self-defense.  

I'm not sure if they'll fit rails but if I were in charge, I would want them on there.  I would guess that like the P-3, they are designed to operate where there are no enemy fighters around, but, that's never a sure thing...

Wonder what altitude then make the torpedo runs and sonar buoy drops at.   You’d have to imagine it’s < 10000 feet.   

56 minutes ago, IAhawkeyeDDS said:

Wonder what altitude then make the torpedo runs and sonar buoy drops at.   You’d have to imagine it’s < 10000 feet.   

Yes I would think so.  But I seem to remember a program to allow for high-altitude drops...not sure how that worked out.

Here's a link I found, not sure how reality-based it is, although Jane's is historically a credible source.

https://www.janes.com/article/80797/us-navy-progresses-haawc-high-altitude-asw-capability-for-poseidon

• Upvote 1