Sign in to follow this  
CpnBill

New to Prepar3d- Video Card upgrade time

Just now, mpw8679 said:

That comparison video is laughable at best.  Of course they will have comparable performance when you run such conservative settings.  Not really sure what he was going for there.

Well they are many other just like that. In fact I think our good friend Rob posted video  as well . So that's not the only video with similar results . P3D V4 doesn't take full advantage from the RTX capabilities that's why you see similar results with the 1080TI

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

Just now, mpw8679 said:

That comparison video is laughable at best.  Of course they will have comparable performance when you run such conservative settings.  Not really sure what he was going for there.

This is from Rob himself I quote: As most are aware, to really see these cards shine on the FPS front requires support for DLSS and ray tracing extensions to replace dynamic lights. 
P3D doesn't have DLSS and Ray tracing yet. Maybe in the future but not now . That's why I decided to stay with my 1080TI . Thanks ROB 🙂  

By the way this the original post 

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz

9 minutes ago, mr340 said:

Well they are many other just like that. In fact I think our good friend Rob posted video  as well . So that's not the only video with similar results . P3D V4 doesn't take full advantage from the RTX capabilities that's why you see similar results with the 1080TI

I’ve ran a single 1080ti, 1080ti SLI, and currently a 2080ti.  I know what each setup will do under specific conditions.  Trust me a 2080ti is considerable improvement over a 1080ti.  

• Upvote 1

Matt Wilson

Just now, mpw8679 said:

I’ve ran a single 1080ti, 1080ti SLI, and currently a 2080ti.  I know what each setup will do under specific conditions.  Trust me a 2080ti is considerable improvement over a 1080ti.  

Well you are the only one  that thinks so . So that's a very good thing considering the price difference between the two , to get 5% more FPS than the 1080TI and consider it as improvement over a 1080TI . Maybe you see improvement in other area such as better AA . But with performance 5% more than the 1080TI is not an improvement for that price . I know many other will also agree. 

Mr Leny

3 minutes ago, mr340 said:

Well you are the only one  that thinks so . So that's a very good thing considering the price difference between the two , to get 5% more FPS than the 1080TI and consider it as improvement over a 1080TI . Maybe you see improvement in other area such as better AA . But with performance 5% more than the 1080TI is not an improvement for that price . I know many other will also agree. 

There is no truth to anything in that post.  There are others in this forum with very similar findings that support my claim.  Anyone that agrees with your claim has never done a valid comparison.  You add night flying, lots of shadows, high AA, heavy weather, 4K, dynamic lighting the 1080ti gives out rather quickly.  Yes the 2080ti is expensive but it does handle these conditions much better then a 1080ti.  Much better than your 5%.  I was seeing a 40-50% lower GPU workload with the 2080ti vs the 1080ti.  10% lower workload compared to 2X 1080ti SLI.  Like I said the video you posted is a horrible comparison and Rob did not directly compare a single 1080ti to a single 2080ti.  If your happy with your 1080ti the more power to ya.  But please don’t make false claims just to justify your GPU of choice.  

Matt Wilson

Just now, mpw8679 said:

There is no truth to anything in that post.  There are others in this forum with very similar findings that support my claim.  Anyone that agrees with your claim has never done a valid comparison.  You add night flying, lots of shadows, high AA, heavy weather, 4K, dynamic lighting the 1080ti gives out rather quickly.  Yes the 2080ti is expensive but it does handle these conditions much better then a 1080ti.  Much better than your 5%.  I was seeing a 40-50% lower GPU workload with the 2080ti vs the 1080ti.  10% lower workload compared to 2X 1080ti SLI.  Like I said the video you posted is a horrible comparison and Rob did not directly compare a single 1080ti to a single 2080ti.  If your happy with your 1080ti the more power to ya.  But please don’t make false claims just to justify your GPU of choice.  

By any means I was not trying to offend your view point in all this. But there is no better guy that does comparison better than ROB in my opinion . You get to see the best from the best of NVIDIA GPU's performance comparison from ROB. So if you want to question my claims you have to question his result . Because my GPU of choice came from his results in various of test he did with very high and medium setting. 

Mr Leny

3 minutes ago, mr340 said:

By any means I was not trying to offend your view point in all this. But there is no better guy that does comparison better than ROB in my opinion . You get to see the best from the best of NVIDIA GPU's performance comparison from ROB. So if you want to question my claims you have to question his result . Because my GPU of choice came from his results in various of test he did with very high and medium setting. 

No offense taken.  I’m just trying to set things straight.  I value Robs opinion higher then most anyone else but unless I’ve misinterpreted his test I don’t see any valid 1080ti/2080ti comparison.  I’ll be honest with you.  I still have nightmares about what that 2080ti cost me.  If it would have not gave me the performance boost I was after it would have been returned the same day it arrived on my doorstep.  I run very high settings at 4K with multiple monitors.  The 2080ti gives me the performance to make that happen.  Plus it runs cool and quiet.  The 1080ti simply did not have the horsepower.  Running 2x1080ti’s in SLI gave me the power but I simply did not want to deal with all the SLI issues.  

Matt Wilson

2 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

...but I simply did not want to deal with all the SLI issues.  

Just to be curious, what issues did you experience?

i9-9900K@5,0   |  32GB 3200  |  2080TI  |  4K 55"  |  MSFS | P3D V5

Just now, mpw8679 said:

No offense taken.  I’m just trying to set things straight.  I value Robs opinion higher then most anyone else but unless I’ve misinterpreted his test I don’t see any valid 1080ti/2080ti comparison.  I’ll be honest with you.  I still have nightmares about what that 2080ti cost me.  If it would have not gave me the performance boost I was after it would have been returned the same day it arrived on my doorstep.  I run very high settings at 4K with multiple monitors.  The 2080ti gives me the performance to make that happen.  Plus it runs cool and quiet.  The 1080ti simply did not have the horsepower.  Running 2x1080ti’s in SLI gave me the power but I simply did not want to deal with all the SLI issues.  

Trust me I value your opinion as well . Because I look for folks like you who gets good result from the RTX ,because maybe you see the result elsewhere. And for me that's a good thing when deciding if to buy the 2080TI or not . In a few months maybe the GPU price might lower a bit, and who knows what P3DV5 might bring to the table 🙂 That's why I value each and everyone opinion when it comes to comparison of both 1080TI and 2080TI . For now I will stick with the 1080TI ,but if the price goes down a bit I might make the upgrade if P3DV5 is release this year. 

Mr Leny

11 minutes ago, kaha said:

Just to be curious, what issues did you experience?

- The top card would get hot enough to cook an egg on.  I have a huge case with plenty of airflow.

- SLI is not compatible with Realight

- Solid drivers were few and far between.

- If I undocked any window and moved it to a 2nd monitor SLI would automatically disable.  Only a sim restart would bring it back.

- GSX jetway marker signs would flicker.

- Xplane is not SLI compliant.  

- The sim just generally was less smooth.

- Random popping sounds under high GPU loads.

Thats all I ran across after a day of testing.  I was unable to resolve any of those issues.

Matt Wilson

1 hour ago, mpw8679 said:

It certainly was for me...

Each system is a world unto it's own, so it's impossible to say how much difference a 2080Ti versus a 1080Ti would make on a particular system and setup, and IMHO random Youtube videos probably aren't very useful in this regard...

49 minutes ago, SunDevil56 said:

It certainly was for me...

Each system is a world unto it's own, so it's impossible to say how much difference a 2080Ti versus a 1080Ti would make on a particular system and setup, and IMHO random Youtube videos probably aren't very useful in this regard...

The definition of improvement is important as well.. Do we mean fps increase? Or frame time consistency? Or ability to cope with heavy weather scenarios? Or some combination of the above?

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Just now, kevinfirth said:

The definition of improvement is important as well.. Do we mean fps increase? Or frame time consistency? Or ability to cope with heavy weather scenarios? Or some combination of the above?

Agreed.

For me it wasn't primarily about raw frames per second, though I did see a marginal increase in those as well, but it was more about the ability to run higher settings in the sim, and with things like heavy weather, reduced visibility, denser AI traffic, and night/dusk/dawn conditions etc. without the large impact on performance like it had with the 1080Ti under those same conditions. The other noticeable effect for me was GPU utilization which would often hit 100% under demanding conditions with the 1080Ti, and it rarely tops 50-60% under the same conditions now with the RTX 2080Ti, which means i've got some headroom to spare if I want to experiment with increasing certain settings without maxing out the GPU.

• Upvote 1