Sign in to follow this  
lowew79

wilco Feel there 195 swerving on takeoff roll (FSX boxed).

I can't seem to stray straight on my takeoff roll today in the e-jets 195.  Admittedly there is a pretty bad crosswind but I don't think that is it.

- I am at Lubbock on runway 17, the wind is 270@25 knots. So it is blowing hard from right to left (from the perspective of the pilot sitting in the aircraft).  I have my aircraft setup for takeoff ready to rock.  I begin my takeoff roll and at about 40 knots I start to lose steering control (as expected according to the AOM)  The aircraft immediately drifts to the right and rolls off the runway.  It drifts RIGHT, INTO the wind not away from it (this is why I think it may NOT be the wind).  No matter how much left rudder input I give it swerves right, off the runway.

Things I've checked: Autopilot is disconnected, Trims are neutral (slight up trim on elevator)  Heading bug is set for RWY heading (but AP is off so it shouldn't matter), and joystick (X52) is calibrated.

Is 25 knot crosswind too much for this aircraft?

I hope this is the right place to post this, if not please let me know and/or move it.

Oh, it's dumb question time!  Is the right engine running?  You might be surprised!  I was, the first time this happened to me on a non-payware jet.

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I'm 98% sure it was.  The EICAS indicated it was, and the TO/CONFIG did not alert me.  

However, I just tried the exact flight again but I turned off Active Sky Next and cleared all weather.  It flew just fine. 

Maybe it really was just too dang windy, but even with that high wind it seems unrealistic this aircraft would be SO uncontrollable.  I mean the real aircraft of similar size were flying today (according to flight aware). 

Is this aircraft unrealistically sensitive to wind? 

12 hours ago, lowew79 said:

So it is blowing hard from right to left (from the perspective of the pilot sitting in the aircraft).  I have my aircraft setup for takeoff ready to rock.  I begin my takeoff roll and at about 40 knots I start to lose steering control (as expected according to the AOM)  The aircraft immediately drifts to the right and rolls off the runway.  It drifts RIGHT, INTO the wind not away from it (this is why I think it may NOT be the wind).  

This is normal behavior for the plane to veer into the direction of the wind. I know if goes against conventional wisdom as most non real pilots would expect the aircraft to be blow or veer the direction that the wind is blowing, but it doesn’t work like that with aircraft.

Here’s an article that explains why the aircraft veers into the direction that the wind is blowing and how to counter it.

https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Cross_Wind_Takeoff_Hazards_and_Techniques#Pilot_Technique

• Upvote 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

4 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

This is normal behavior for the plane to veer into the direction of the wind. I know if goes against conventional wisdom as most non real pilots would expect the aircraft to be blow or veer the direction that the wind is blowing, but it doesn’t work like that with aircraft.

Here’s an article that explains why the aircraft veers into the direction that the wind is blowing and how to counter it.

https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Cross_Wind_Takeoff_Hazards_and_Techniques#Pilot_Technique

This weathervaning effect is noticeable in light GA acft, but not really in a transport-category jet (at least not IRL).

I'd set up the weather the same and see if it happens again...I'd guess it's more likely something like a dragging brake or calibration issue on the rudder axis.  If it happens consistently, then the FDE is borked, because that's not realistic behavior for an airliner.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

This excessive weathervaning effect is built in to FSX, because Microsoft seemed to think all aircraft should behave like a Cessna 172.  As Bob Scott indicated, this does not happen in real world aircraft of E195 size, to anything like the extent portrayed in FSX, although a 25 kt crosswind will certainly be noticed.

Unfortunately the effect has been carried over to P3D, which I use, with the FeelThere E195, in a home cockpit.  The E Jets flight dynamics were programmed by Alex Koshterek who was regarded as an expert, and the dynamics are generally in line with my own (distant) memories of multi jets. But this basic problem was created by MS.

While it's not possible to reduce the weathervaning, you can improve your rudder effectiveness in the aircraft config.  This is under sim objects/airplanes/feelthere PIC E195. Open the config with notepad and scroll down to Flight Tuning. You should have a line showing rudder effectiveness = 1        Try changing this to 1.5 or even 2.0. The change only affects this aircraft and it's easy to experiment until you achieve improved control. You will still need more rudder, and for a more sustained time than in real life, but you should at least be able to stay on the runway. For comparison, I use 1.5 currently, but even then, and with high quality rudder pedals, I still feel as though I am chasing the aircraft rather than guiding it.

jbee.

John B

10 hours ago, w6kd said:

This weathervaning effect is noticeable in light GA acft, but not really in a transport-category jet (at least not IRL).

Yeah, I should have been more specific meaning GA. However in FSX, this effect seems to be more prevalent than in should be on larger aircraft as well. 

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

1 hour ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Yeah, I should have been more specific meaning GA. However in FSX, this effect seems to be more prevalent than in should be on larger aircraft as well. 

And P-factor, too, which is a real non-issue in jets IRL, but MSFS/P3D really overdoes that, too.

Cheers

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thanks all.  I've just never seen (in my flight sim experience) a rudder input seem to make no difference at all lol.  As I said I tried the takeoff again with the winds at zero and it worked fine.  So your explanations seem to be dead on.  I will try the rudder fix and see how it works.  

Thanks again!

I had this issue with the ERJ175 as well. Easy fix. Go to Configuration Utility (same thing you use to load passengers and such) and under Preferences there is an option to limit nosewheel steering above 40 knots. Uncheck that and that's it.