Sign in to follow this  
SKEWR

P3D Crash

I'll add to this topic.

Since around 2/17/19 my P3D ALWAYS crashes.

The scenario that ALWAYS yields a CTD or PC freeze:

PMG777-200. Spawning in at FSDT KMEM (using RWY 18C, 36C or stand 461 doesn't matter), Flight plan is MEM to KEWR using GOETZ6 departure and DIYAB transition to BNA J42 GVE PHLBO3 at FL370. On take off, I start the clock. From here one of two things happen. CTD within 3-8 minutes or the flight continues and before dropping to FL270 on the PHLBO3 STAR, CTD.

So Far, I've rolled back windows updates, checked/updated all drivers (including rolling back to 418.91 "clean" install), removed the over clock, checked devices in device manager, cleared the shader cache, turned off AISuite, turned off CPU TWEAKII, looked for new BIOS (none available for my mother board), ran windows repair, checked registry, ran several MEM test, checked DISM, cleaned out case, ran FSDT update, uninstalled the reinstalled Client, Content, Scenery, ran the FTX global migration tool, ran the FTX updates, downloaded APPCRASH Viewer, deleted the shader cache, deleted the .P3Dcfg and searched the internet for fixes, and no matter what I still get CTDs.

I've installed appcrash and it keeps yielding different results. NTDLL, STACKHASH-2264, STACKHASH_1e37, BEX64, KERNELBASE, UCRT, TERRAIN.DLL and the last error was StackHash_c2da on an almost vanilla install...

I can play CIV6 for hours. I can play Overwatch for hours. I can play any other CPU/GPU intensive game I like, leave it overnight and it's fine. The sad thing is, the ONE program I want to use, P3D, is crashing left and right.

Apologies for the disjointed mass of text, but I'm beyond frustrated here. Any help would be much appreciated. Much like the OP this all began around 2/17/19.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

Put this line in your P3D.cfg and you will never see this crash ever again - CRASHES=0 (1 for yes; this is the default).

Just kidding of course.  Wish it were that simple.  The AVSIM CTD Guide, page 10, shows you how to fix almost every crash in P3D.  Doing anything more is a waste of time.

First rename your P3D.cfg to P3D.off

Renames your two dll.xml's to dll.off (one dll.xml should be in the same folder as the P3D.cfg; the other is in the default location or where the scenery.cfg is located).

Go to Documents/My Prepar3d 4 Add-ons.  Move the contents (not the folder) to a temporary location.

Restart P3D.  Crashes should be gone.  If so, you need to find out what file you renamed above has the file that is causing your crashes.  I suspect one of the dll.xml's is loading a module that is corrupt or incompatible.  A lot of times that is the CMeteoXml.dll (it was for me as I had the same crashes as yours for about a month until I figured it out).  The CMeteoXml.dll is used by Carenado for their weather gauge.  It works great with little or no weather.  If there is any bad weather, it will cause your sim to crash.  That's usually about 10 minutes after takeoff if the weather is bad.  It won't happen 100% of the time though.  Just in certain weather conditions and with ASP4 running too. 

You also state you have had a StackHash and NTDLL crash and that is usually caused by a bad overclock - too high or too low CPU voltages.  If you are not overclocked, then it was caused by a memory module OR a bad installation of an aircraft that has a gauge that is not compatible with P3D.  An incompatible scenery will shutdown P3D too.  I had a bad memory module and it took a month to figure that one out with my new system build.  I had four modules so removed the ones in the A and C locations.  Crashes immediately stopped.  Replaced the ones that worked with the ones I just took out, and the sim immediately crashed.  It was only one simm that went bad.  My AIDA64 Extreme program said the module was working well and identified it properly but when I ran a benchmark on it, it immediately crashed.  So, little things like this can be aggravating and I share your frustrations.  There is no one fix that works for everyone.  I rarely get anyone to find the fix by disabling the CMeteoXml.dll but it has happened.  Changing the overclock has fixed a lot of these errors.

Now the UCRT error is a C++ error meaning something was not installed properly or is incompatible.  I've had them all...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

7 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Put this line in your P3D.cfg and you will never see this crash ever again - CRASHES=0 (1 for yes; this is the default). 

😀

Thanks for the reply.

I would love to have Crash=0 !!! LOL!

I'll start these procedures and come back to report. One question though: Why would other applications work with an OC but other not? I tried no OC today (just basic motherboard settings) and still had an CTD. One question: which benchmark did you use? I ran the Heaven 4 benchmark with no problems. 

For the record: ROG Hero Alpha VIII, i6700k, P3dv4.

I've never seen an issue where I've had to do this much work to try to fix. With spring coming, I want to fly more than ever....

Edited by SKEWR

12 hours ago, SKEWR said:

One question though: Why would other applications work with an OC but other not? I tried no OC today (just basic motherboard settings) and still had an CTD. One question: which benchmark did you use? I ran the Heaven 4 benchmark with no problems. 

P3D and FSX use the CPU more than any other hardware.  In FS9 it was the opposite.  When you have a lot of textures and objects to render in nanoseconds, it puts a lot of strain on the CPU and how the CPU was set up.  Hopefully future versions of P3D will move some of the actions required to other cores and the GPU. With the high powered CPU's and GPU's, we have now started loading more and more photo scenery and airport scenery with a lot of eye-candy and we try to ratchet up our settings as high as we think the sim will allow and that puts even more demands on the hardware.  For benchmarks, I run AIDA64 Extreme but that is no guarantee your sim will be stable after you run it.  Personally, I think these benchmark developers should be using P3D or FSX with max settings and addons as a more realistic benchmark.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hey again Jim;

I'll try the AIDA64 and let you (and people searching for fixes) know how it goes.

After following your advice, I'm pleased to report the flight from Default KMEM to Default KEWR was a success (with a 632kt GS). No hint of problems. I can rule out FSUIPC, AS P3Dv4, REX SF3d clouds,SODE and the PMDG777. I'll begin adding modules to see where the issue is. I'll start with ORBX after the stress test.

I know you said to NOT tweak the P3D.CFG, but I think I'm putting in CRASH=0 anyway!

So it looks like I'm sorted.

I'm so used to trying to fix problems myself. I could have been back in business faster if I would have followed the AVSIM CTD guide. Everything has been reinstalled with the exception of Navigraph's simlink and the Lamp freeware (not saying they were the culprit)

Anyway, thanks and great flights all.

• Like 1