pegruder

Native P3D v4.5 Vr - 'Wobbly' looking image?

Recommended Posts

Hey folks - so starting to get back in to VR flying again and having some weird issues.  I first started with Flyinside - but noticed alot of graphic artifacts and things on my vive pro, lines through cockpit ect.  So I decided to try native VR in p3d and while performance seemed better, the image when looking around seems wobbly or almost like looking at an image reflected on water and then dropping a rock through it so the water gets disturbed.  Are there any settings I can try and change or is this just how native VR is as I've never tried it before?

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

2 hours ago, pegruder said:

Hey folks - so starting to get back in to VR flying again and having some weird issues.  I first started with Flyinside - but noticed alot of graphic artifacts and things on my vive pro, lines through cockpit ect.  So I decided to try native VR in p3d and while performance seemed better, the image when looking around seems wobbly or almost like looking at an image reflected on water and then dropping a rock through it so the water gets disturbed.  Are there any settings I can try and change or is this just how native VR is as I've never tried it before?

Try to turn off "simobjects shadows - cast" . Receive is ok. But casting throws wobbling shadows around ground, buildings, plane etc. Report back if it works for you. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, mpo910 said:

Try to turn off "simobjects shadows - cast" . Receive is ok. But casting throws wobbling shadows around ground, buildings, plane etc. Report back if it works for you. 

Disclaimer I haven't tried yet. But this is more the entire image. I think I know what you're talking about with the wobbly shadows as I've seen that, thought it was distracting and moved on. This is if I pan my head the vc gets this weird distortion very briefly. I might want to say it may be low fps related but not sure. Flyinside when I have poor performance just gets choppy this seems wobbly I guess. Flyinside used to be really good but this last version seems really bad fps. ie when I'm in 2d I have 40 fps easy but in headset it's 7fps. A year ago I had Flyinside it was 15fps in 2d and 30 to 40 in headset which was nice. Not to mention lines and other artifacts in FI now. 

Share this post


Link to post

If you are looking through cockpit glass, that might cause an issue like what you see. I fly some of the older model planes and notice some small distortion like effects on the edges of the glass but nothing that would stop me. Do you still see these distortions in P3D avatar mode?

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, glider1 said:

If you are looking through cockpit glass, that might cause an issue like what you see. I fly some of the older model planes and notice some small distortion like effects on the edges of the glass but nothing that would stop me. Do you still see these distortions in P3D avatar mode?

This was in the FSL A320 and the A2A 172.  Didn't try avatar mode Ill have to try that and see.  This was more the overall image, didnt matter glass or overhead panel.

Share this post


Link to post

I think what you're describing is the headset ASW or vive's equivalent of this  kicking in because your frames are too low. It causes wobbly artifacts like this. 

You need to lower your settings. No way around it. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/22/2019 at 6:22 AM, andreh said:

I think what you're describing is the headset ASW or vive's equivalent of this  kicking in because your frames are too low. It causes wobbly artifacts like this. 

You need to lower your settings. No way around it. 

Gotcha - I had a feeling it was related to frame rate.  So weird because in the headset it "felt" smoother than fly inside which seemed to be just a jittery mess.  The only anomaly was the image quality.  Ill have to play with some settings and report back.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

A few tips for VR settings: 

Reduce detail in the distance - you won´t see it anyway with the lower resolution. Reduce LOD radius to medium at the most, same with autogen draw distance, cloud draw distance etc. I also reduce texture size to 2m for the same reason. Low res screens - super high detail is meaningless. No HD textures - 1024 max.

What I find is still the greatest hit on performance is the number autogen buildings. I don´t go above normal. Trees seem to be less intensive but I still keep it at normal. 

You will not be able to get rid of these wobbly effects completely whatever you do, I´m afraid, but you can improve it. 

 

 

Edited by andreh

Share this post


Link to post

VR is a performance sucker. Thats what I learned. Still, after more than 12 month with my Rift I will never go back to TIR 😉

Every release of p3d, VR is getting better.

One thing I disagree, is with disabling all features that would make it nice. Some people say, AA is useless in VR. I disagree. The aicraft still looks better having it turned on. Maybe not 8xSSAA. But a bit more conservative will help on fps.

Autogen. I mean, what is a forrest worth if the forrest is not dense or the city has no buildings...

For some reason you are in the sim and VR improves the sense of real flying. Why to turn off the gimmicks then?

I tell you my 2 cents. Plan for VR don't run into it because it is just nice. I did rush into it and ended up in changing pieces of hardware afterwards. Forced to it.

Lessons learned.

  1. Anything below a GTX 1080 8GB+ is nonsense for Flightsim. It works for some other games on a 1070 too. Not DCS, not XP11, nor P3D
  2. 32GB Ram. You will have this many processes running for VR, that suck your memory. Better have some spare.
  3. i7-7700k, thats what I am on. It is low end. I am still waiting for upgrading
  4. Mind the table and the screen. You will have to move more distant otherwise you will score a hit with your head or your VR hands on the table or like me on the monitor when leaning forward 😉
  5. All your hardware panels become useless. How much did you invest? Sell it. You will no longer need it - except for P3D, hurray, you ca keep pedals, warthog stick and throttle but consider some move with those here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN83TQoI-bk
  6. Harness - god yesss!!!  Forget only once that you cannot hold to the side of your F5 cockpit while leaning out. You will be resting on the floor. This was my warm welcome to DCS ...
  7. P3D uses mouse to control buttons and switches. Have a little pad on the side of your chair ...
  8. Last, Oculus Rift needs 3 USB3 (blue) ports and one HDMI port. Headset and Tracking devices should not be on the same USB3 Host controller. I had bandwidth disconnects having all on same hub.

XP11, DCS are way more sophisticated in terms of VR. In DCS you can control the knobs, switches and buttons by hand controller. In XP11 you can even fly the plane fully on VR controllers, except pedals, of course.

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Hollywood said:

VR is a performance sucker. Thats what I learned. Still, after more than 12 month with my Rift I will never go back to TIR 😉

Every release of p3d, VR is getting better.

One thing I disagree, is with disabling all features that would make it nice. Some people say, AA is useless in VR. I disagree. The aicraft still looks better having it turned on. Maybe not 8xSSAA. But a bit more conservative will help on fps.

Autogen. I mean, what is a forrest worth if the forrest is not dense or the city has no buildings...

For some reason you are in the sim and VR improves the sense of real flying. Why to turn off the gimmicks then?

I tell you my 2 cents. Plan for VR don't run into it because it is just nice. I did rush into it and ended up in changing pieces of hardware afterwards. Forced to it.

Lessons learned.

  1. Anything below a GTX 1080 8GB+ is nonsense for Flightsim. It works for some other games on a 1070 too. Not DCS, not XP11, nor P3D
  2. 32GB Ram. You will have this many processes running for VR, that suck your memory. Better have some spare.
  3. i7-7700k, thats what I am on. It is low end. I am still waiting for upgrading
  4. Mind the table and the screen. You will have to move more distant otherwise you will score a hit with your head or your VR hands on the table or like me on the monitor when leaning forward 😉
  5. All your hardware panels become useless. How much did you invest? Sell it. You will no longer need it - except for P3D, hurray, you ca keep pedals, warthog stick and throttle but consider some move with those here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN83TQoI-bk
  6. Harness - god yesss!!!  Forget only once that you cannot hold to the side of your F5 cockpit while leaning out. You will be resting on the floor. This was my warm welcome to DCS ...
  7. P3D uses mouse to control buttons and switches. Have a little pad on the side of your chair ...
  8. Last, Oculus Rift needs 3 USB3 (blue) ports and one HDMI port. Headset and Tracking devices should not be on the same USB3 Host controller. I had bandwidth disconnects having all on same hub.

XP11, DCS are way more sophisticated in terms of VR. In DCS you can control the knobs, switches and buttons by hand controller. In XP11 you can even fly the plane fully on VR controllers, except pedals, of course.

 

I manage pretty well on an overclocked 1070 in P3D 4.5, but yes, it is considerably more resource intense than 2D screen. I agree turning things off is nonsense -- just reduce it a little. I use medium settings for detail in the distance, I use 4xMSAA and normal autogen. I use the oculus traytool SS at 1.5. It looks and flies fantastic with PMDG airliners. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/24/2019 at 9:57 AM, Hollywood said:

VR is a performance sucker. Thats what I learned. Still, after more than 12 month with my Rift I will never go back to TIR 😉

Every release of p3d, VR is getting better.

One thing I disagree, is with disabling all features that would make it nice. Some people say, AA is useless in VR. I disagree. The aicraft still looks better having it turned on. Maybe not 8xSSAA. But a bit more conservative will help on fps.

Autogen. I mean, what is a forrest worth if the forrest is not dense or the city has no buildings...

For some reason you are in the sim and VR improves the sense of real flying. Why to turn off the gimmicks then?

I tell you my 2 cents. Plan for VR don't run into it because it is just nice. I did rush into it and ended up in changing pieces of hardware afterwards. Forced to it.

Lessons learned.

  1. Anything below a GTX 1080 8GB+ is nonsense for Flightsim. It works for some other games on a 1070 too. Not DCS, not XP11, nor P3D
  2. 32GB Ram. You will have this many processes running for VR, that suck your memory. Better have some spare.
  3. i7-7700k, thats what I am on. It is low end. I am still waiting for upgrading
  4. Mind the table and the screen. You will have to move more distant otherwise you will score a hit with your head or your VR hands on the table or like me on the monitor when leaning forward 😉
  5. All your hardware panels become useless. How much did you invest? Sell it. You will no longer need it - except for P3D, hurray, you ca keep pedals, warthog stick and throttle but consider some move with those here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN83TQoI-bk
  6. Harness - god yesss!!!  Forget only once that you cannot hold to the side of your F5 cockpit while leaning out. You will be resting on the floor. This was my warm welcome to DCS ...
  7. P3D uses mouse to control buttons and switches. Have a little pad on the side of your chair ...
  8. Last, Oculus Rift needs 3 USB3 (blue) ports and one HDMI port. Headset and Tracking devices should not be on the same USB3 Host controller. I had bandwidth disconnects having all on same hub.

XP11, DCS are way more sophisticated in terms of VR. In DCS you can control the knobs, switches and buttons by hand controller. In XP11 you can even fly the plane fully on VR controllers, except pedals, of course.

 

Hardware wise I think I have pretty good specs, i9 9900k. 2080ti, 64gb ram.  That link to the hotas desk mount is EXACTLY what I've been looking for - I didnt watch the video yet but it looks adjustable for high, ect.

You mentioned....a Harness?  To keep you in your seat?  Geez - I thought I was the only one!  I got a cheap 4 point race harness of ebay, as silly as it sounds it totally added a different level of immersion for me.  Still haven't had a chance to tweak settings as I'm in the middle of packing to move, but I should have some time tomorrow I think.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now