I've been recreating the tour from the pilot's eye DVD "Lady's trip to the closed strip" Quito on a Lufthansa Cargo MD-11. Hence my Sky Sim MD screenshots recently!  It's a great set of flights IMHO: Gorgeous aeroplane, gorgeous countryside, and FO Anne-Katrin has a smile to die for - professionalism and beauty is a win-win.

Anyhow.. One of the stops is SKBO. I had recently found a nice freeware airport.

8jlgIvC.jpg

Good job , much improvement over the stock FSX. No complaints.

However, I learned today that Virtualcol's offering is now free - it's a keeper. Seems quite well optimised, at least as far as I could tell taking my payware Carenado Commander114 for a trundle over it. 

qaWOTTL.jpg

If you want to experience a high-elevation international airport in the South American continent, for free then this is surely worth a look. It's a few hundred feet higher than the new Mariscal Sucre airport in Quito..

• Like 2

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Mark: Very educational and fascinating tour! Bogota and Quito (in your path) are two of the most interesting (high-elevation) airports in our SIM.

BTW, a while ago, I'd picked up SEQU (the old Quito airport) from AS, and had posted a 1st report here....I often fly to SEQU to test my aircraft...large and small...helps when there is no one to watch my aircraft movements (and issue citations) in that "closed-down" airport...🙂...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Incidentally the freeware new Quito airport just placed a ground polygon over SEQU to represent it being closed IRL. I haven't checked to see if VirtualCol's offering has done the same. I'll have to break out the Commander or my Cessna 337 for a little jaunt around the area! :cool: Thank you.

2 hours ago, HighBypass said:

Incidentally the freeware new Quito airport just placed a ground polygon over SEQU to represent it being closed IRL. I haven't checked to see if VirtualCol's offering has done the same. I'll have to break out the Commander or my Cessna 337 for a little jaunt around the area! :cool: Thank you.

I kind of like the old Quito (SEQU) Airport...it has a haunting and vacant look in the SIM - including perfectly usable Runways (17/35), virtual, of course. The AS Handbook says, "Hand painted elevation mesh to realistically depict the hill and slope just north of Runway 17/35"

I wonder If I get a new Quito Airport (SEQM) scenery (much interested in it), from somewhere, my old Quito will be wiped out....Anyway, let us know what your "un-authorized" ...🙂...jaunt reveals from your own VirtuaCol scenery...

BTW, the old Quito airport is IRL now the Bicentennial Park, where people ride bikes on the runway and enjoy a wide variety of activities on the grounds....

• Upvote 1

Ahem.. slight confusion  - I still have a freeware SEQM, not one by VirtualCol sorry! I only have their Bogota airport.:blush: