Want to take the VR plunge to coencide with hornet release. Top of line system w/1080 Ti.
Which headset would you suggest?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Not the best time to ask really. I have used the Rift quite happily for the past couple of years and am waiting for the feedback on the Rift S. I really like the idea of inside out tracking as the most annoying part is the sensor setup. 

The Rift gives perfectly good tracking and immersion feel. The light weight and comfort win with me too. I found the Vive a touch clunky in comparison, but resolution and quality are as good. 

For ease of use, value for money and suchlike you'd struggle to beat the Rift S. 

I'm just not impressed with the design (halo) and sound that it comes with. Though it's designed to fit in ear attachable speakers too. The Original Rift was perfectly good for sound.

Others will be along with impressions of the Samsung et, al.

I think it'll be interesting to see what the HP Reverb will have to offer. Definitely better resolution to start with.

My advice is find the headset that balances the compromises between the price you are willing to pay, the capabilities that attract you, and your computer's ability to push the required resolutions at a good framerate in VR