Sign in to follow this  
MaxTurso

Questions before purchase GTN750/650

Hello everybody,

during these days i was considering to buy this product but some doubts remains and these stops me to buy, below my questions:

• At the moment of the purchase what's the level of update of the database?
  • Probably it's a my problem of comprehension but after hours of reading i don't understand if this database is it updatable and what is the method. It's necessary to pay something? Someone can clarify to me step by step? If i understood well there's a software called Garmin GTN trainer that provides the update, it's correct? I think that this program is associated with the installation of the GTN 750/650, correct?

Thanks in advance and have a nice day

Massimo

The Garmin Trainer is at the core of the GTN simulation, and yes, it provides the navdatabase as well.  It is updateable if you have access to newer Garmin navdata, from real world sources, like an aircraft owner.  Not easily done, and certainly not affordable for a flightsimmer.

The newest Garmin Trainer comes with March 2018 navdata.

If you are looking for "current" navdata like Navigraph, this update option simply does not exist for the GTN, unless you are willing to pay real world aircraft owner prices.

When Garmin releases a newer Trainer version, it typically comes with a newer navdata set.. but that could be a year or more in the future..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

I own the GTN750/650 which I've tried to incorporate into the PMDG DC-6.  While the product works, it places a very heavy load on the system and unless you have a very high end system, you will experience a less than smooth operation.  I also find it unconscionable that f1 would sell this product without providing a method of keeping the NAV data up to date.  Relying on Garmin to update the trainer data base on a random basis certainly doesn't add to the sim experience.   I consider the produce a waist of money and time to try to make it work.

James M Driskell

Edited by RXP

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

I understand your frustration.. but

The "very heavy load" is not typical in my experience.. assigning the GTN to a lightly loaded CPU core typically solves any smoothness issues.

As for the database updates.. that is the way Garmin markets their navdata.. :smile:

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

24 minutes ago, jmdriskell said:

I own the GTN750/650 which I've tried to incorporate into the PMDG DC-6.  While the product works, it places a very heavy load on the system and unless you have a very high end system, you will experience a less than smooth operation.

Hi,

are you sure you own the genuine Reality XP GTN 750/650 Touch?

What you are reporting sound more like the issues typically found with another similarly named product...

9 hours ago, MaxTurso said:

I don't understand if this database is it updatable and what is the method.

The best place to start is the dedicated discussion, and more precisely the 'recommended' posts:

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

I own the F1 product so that's where my experience is. 

How does one go about assigning it to a little used core?

Thanks,

Jim Driskell

Edited by RXP

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

10 hours ago, jmdriskell said:

I own the Flight1 product so that's where my experience is. 

Thanks,

Jim Driskell

You are in the wrong forum........This is for the Reality XP product.....Not the F1 product.....

They are not developed by the same company  

Edited by RXP

Les O'Reilly

I own the Flight1 product so that's where my experience is. 

Thanks,

Jim Driskell

F1 Support Forum

[link removed]

Edited by RXP
link removed

Bert

I own the F1 product so that's where my experience is. 

the product [...] places a very heavy load on the system and unless you have a very high end system, you will experience a less than smooth operation

Hi, thank you for the clarification.

I'm glad to know there is no such heavy load on the system nor less than smooth operation with the genuine Reality XP GTN 750/650 Touch. 

Like I've said already, not all GTN products are born equal, but our customers are saying it better than me:

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)