Sign in to follow this  
bigifooti

Frames drop when GPU copy to shared memory

Hi All,

Recently I've updated from a i5-4590k  to the i9-9900k pared with 16gb ddr4 3200mhz . I didn't upgrade the GPU this time around, which is still a GTX1070. So, previously I had a very well ballanced system, but now I have a over the top CPU. 

While dailing in the P3D config file I'm stuck with a frame drop every other second. It is flyable, yet noticeable. I started observing what actually was happen during these drops. When I looked at the GPU performance tab I noticed that at every drop it showed a small peak in the "copy" graph. 

I did a search on this, but couldn't find anything.

Does anyone know about this behaviour? And more interestingly are there solutions to this? 

kSHTAmU.png

6 hours ago, bigifooti said:

Hi All,

Recently I've updated from a i5-4590k  to the i9-9900k pared with 16gb ddr4 3200mhz . I didn't upgrade the GPU this time around, which is still a GTX1070. So, previously I had a very well ballanced system, but now I have a over the top CPU.

<SNIP>

I have a GTX1070ti and run into frame drop issues when the GPU is overloaded i.e. @ 100% and looking at yours it's right on the edge.

To combat overloading of my GPU I use a screen mode @ 30 hz which with P3D's vsync active sets a vsync'd frame rate of 30 fps (a very smooth result due the the vsync).

The 30 fps also then reduces load on the GPU meaning it is possible to ramp up the various GPU related settings and more accuratly tune GPU use to avoid 100%.

If you're not able to vsync @ 30 Hz (for example your monitor is limited to 60 Hz) RTSS is a tool that has an option to allow vsync at half the Hz rate so you end up with 30 fps vsync'd even though the screen mode is 60 Hz. There are a number of threads covering RTSS use in the P3D forum.

I've made a couple of vids that show the settings if you're interested.

This one is using RTSS

Riva Tuner Statistics Server vsyncing @ half monitor 60hz for 30 fps @ L35 Big Bear airport

And this one is a P3D vsync'd 30 Hz screen mode.

Prepar3D v4 5 HF1 Flight Testing in the Tecnam Sierra takeoff and landing @ 11S Airport

Hope it helps.

Cheers

• Upvote 2

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

6 hours ago, Rogen said:

To combat overloading of my GPU I use a screen mode @ 30 hz which with P3D's vsync active sets a vsync'd frame rate of 30 fps (a very smooth result due the the vsync).

The 30 fps also then reduces load on the GPU meaning it is possible to ramp up the various GPU related settings and more accuratly tune GPU use to avoid 100%.

If you're not able to vsync @ 30 Hz (for example your monitor is limited to 60 Hz) RTSS is a tool that has an option to allow vsync at half the Hz rate so you end up with 30 fps vsync'd even though the screen mode is 60 Hz. There are a number of threads covering RTSS use in the P3D forum.

QFT (emphasis mine).

And a link to RTSS: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rtss-rivatuner-statistics-server-download.html

Greg

What resolution are you running at?

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

Resolution is 2560x1080. 

I will try to dial it down.  

Thinking of it could simply be that the GPU needs to have a bit of headroom for the copying between the GPU memory and the shared memory.