Sign in to follow this  
CaptainSaint

scenery.cfg limit

1 minute ago, Christopher Low said:

Some of us are just stubborn. I still use the scenery.cfg method, as I want to be able to sort the scenery entries as required from within the simulator.......although the ORBx FTX Central habit of shoving all ORBx entries to the top of the list is rather annoying :angry:

The OrbX position can be set in FTXCentral. Not at my FS computer so can't give exact instructions, but I believe in the confg/settings pane there is an option to set the OrbX insertion point, and you can do this for all the separate 'types' of addons that OrbX makes, including Vector, OpenLC as well as the airport/city sceneries.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

48 minutes ago, Benjamin J said:

Is there any particular reason not to make separate packages? besides a retained feeling... My library has grown 'organically' with the installation of more sceneries, all of which I have added manually in P4AO as separate packages. I have no idea how many packages there re, but I'd guess over a 100. I don't have any issues, but if you think I might get problem sin the long run, I might consider merging packages.

Hi,

I simply don't know, so I am careful. All I know is, that there was a problem once, and that there obviously are limits here and there that nobody knows about. I prefer to be the pessimist, taught by my experience accumulated in 35 years of writing code.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Why not create a directory system where you move add-on xml files in and out of the folder as needed, instead of deactivate and activate?  That way you can have 500 airports ready to go but drop in the two you need. So your scenery.cfg only has a handful of active xml files you are using and you don’t have a bunch of turned off scenery. 

47 minutes ago, TravelRunner404 said:

Why not create a directory system where you move add-on xml files in and out of the folder as needed, instead of deactivate and activate?  That way you can have 500 airports ready to go but drop in the two you need. So your scenery.cfg only has a handful of active xml files you are using and you don’t have a bunch of turned off scenery. 

I do it this way. I have directories for different types of things: libraries, airports, ortho sceneries, meshes, AI aircraft, etc. and then two master directories: core and add-on that contain the actual files and add-on.xml files.

When I fly, I simply copy the required add-on.xml files from the add-on directory to the appropriate type directory.

Some files need to remain in the Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder due to not playing nicely with the add-on.xml scheme on updates but I only have five of those: FLAI, FsDreamTeam (2), Orbx object flow and FSlabs spotlights.

Cheers!

David Haynes