Sign in to follow this  
ShabbyLeo

What's past the demo area?

Hello

Sorry if it's already been asked a thousand times. I was quite impressed with the Seattle demo area and airports KSEA, KBFI, and KRNT. Both the detail of the airport areas and the frame rates seemed good to me. I wonder though if this is just a special area, or can the same level of detail be expected at the airports say KBOI or KOTH? I really don't want to buy an airport again as usually fly just GA, and fly only west of the Rocky's CONUS. What would be the best options? I think Active Sky XP and the hot start TBM 900 would be my first purchases after XP 11 (TBM primary reason why I'm considering XP). Is this plane going to be available for P3D one day? But I begin to think that I would need the Ortho4XP stuff to really be happy. Is enough freeware available for the area I intend to fly already available? The last version of X Plane I purchased basically had just landing strips; no taxiways or buildings as I remember (first box version I think that was available to me around the year 1999). If anyone can tell me what the stock airports will look like around this area would be nice. Will nice landclass and textures be included in base product, or does it need to be replaced with payware to get the visuals on par with P3D which I currently use with payware? Thanks.

Matt

The good thing is that all default airports are user-editable and can be submitted to their Airport Gateway (provided one sticks to Laminar's submission guidelines). Changed or updated gateway airports are regularly distributed with X-Plane updates, so the default scenery is basically constantly being updated and improved.

Hopping from small field to small field in the contienental US, I was pleasantly surprised how many small airports come with 3D scenery and a few static obejcts. Certainly better than FSX.

Chances are you won't need a custom scenery at all if you don't mind generic objects.

Other than that, there is plenty of freeware available, so sceneries shouldn't be much of an issue.

The TBM very probably won't come to P3D.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

What he failed to mention is that many users have being busy at it upgrading all the default airports using Xplane lego blocs, which they have improved. other wise most of the airports are just flat with no buildings. If you want to seee what aiports are 3d.

https://www.x-plane.com/kb/x-plane-11-33-release-notes/

and that was only the last release. Xplane terrain is fine, though there is freeware higher res terrain data, which covers most but not all the world. it does improve some areas.

It's like in "Wizard of Oz" when the black and white changes to technicolor.