Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Tried a tip today, and it worked

Posted (edited)

This has probably been discussed before but I wanted to post here in case this has not been mentioned here.  I was reading an old Avsim thread about adjusting the CUDA compute setting in Nvidia inspector to improve P3D performance.  I use photo scenery and I have noticed stutters with it sometimes.  No blurries, just the odd stutter like pauses right in the approach, which kind of take away the fun. 

I cannot explain the technical details behind this for brevity.  My Nvidia Inspector I used to have until today did not have an option to change the CUDA setting.  But I found this online article which discusses it and points to versions of Nvidia inspector that allow the setting to be changed.   Since changing the settings I have seen much more fluidity in P3D4.5 and Xplane11 as well.  Not a placebo effect, just a change for the better though it cannot be measured by fps alone.  Here is a link to the discussion, which has links to the updated Nvidia Inspector...

John

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/aco4ks/how_to_turn_off_nvidias_force_p2_power_state/

Edited by John_Cillis

Thanks for that tip. I'll try it later today.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, ATC, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 and P3D v4

System specs: Windows 10  Pro 64-bit, i7-4790K Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5, RTX-2070, 32GB RAM  1X 1TB M2 for X-Plane 11, 1x 500GB SSD for P3Dv4, 1x256GB SSD for OS.

Posted (edited)

I've definitely more fps on X-Plane, now hitting 40fps with the Zibo 737 on cruise. Before, I was getting about 30ish. 

Bear in mind this is also with Skymaxx pro.

Edited by Jude Bradley

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, ATC, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 and P3D v4

System specs: Windows 10  Pro 64-bit, i7-4790K Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5, RTX-2070, 32GB RAM  1X 1TB M2 for X-Plane 11, 1x 500GB SSD for P3Dv4, 1x256GB SSD for OS.

9 hours ago, John_Cillis said:

This has probably been discussed before but I wanted to post here in case this has not been mentioned here.  I was reading an old Avsim thread about adjusting the CUDA compute setting in Nvidia inspector to improve P3D performance.  I use photo scenery and I have noticed stutters with it sometimes.  No blurries, just the odd stutter like pauses right in the approach, which kind of take away the fun. 

I cannot explain the technical details behind this for brevity.  My Nvidia Inspector I used to have until today did not have an option to change the CUDA setting.  But I found this online article which discusses it and points to versions of Nvidia inspector that allow the setting to be changed.   Since changing the settings I have seen much more fluidity in P3D4.5 and Xplane11 as well.  Not a placebo effect, just a change for the better though it cannot be measured by fps alone.  Here is a link to the discussion, which has links to the updated Nvidia Inspector...

John

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/aco4ks/how_to_turn_off_nvidias_force_p2_power_state/

May I ask if it necessary to create a .bat file as suggested in the above link, or did you simply change the CUDA setting in Nvidia Inspector?

In nVidia parlance, a "compute" workload is a non-graphics workload, such as mining or folding applications.  Flight sims are definitely imposing a graphics workload, which shifts the GPU into the P0 state, not the P2 state.

That said, I'm highly sceptical that this actually works as suggested here.  I played with this on a 1080Ti some time ago, and could not document any improvement at all.

Regards

Bob Scott | AVSIM Forums Administrator | AVSIM Board of Directors

ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System: i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz on custom water loop, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, 16GB 3600MHz CAS15, eVGA 2080Ti XC Ultra, Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz, 2x1TB Samsung SSD 970Pro NVMe+850 Pro SATA 3, eVGA 1KW PSU

SB XFi Titanium, optical link to Yamaha RX-V467, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf spkrs, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro, PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensors, Coolermaster HAF932 case, Stream Deck XL button box

2 hours ago, w6kd said:

In nVidia parlance, a "compute" workload is a non-graphics workload, such as mining or folding applications.  Flight sims are definitely imposing a graphics workload, which shifts the GPU into the P0 state, not the P2 state.

That said, I'm highly sceptical that this actually works as suggested here.  I played with this on a 1080Ti some time ago, and could not document any improvement at all.

Allowing the GPU to run in the P2 state can also effect rendering (lower memory clock on most nVidia later gen cards).  Do we know how much rendering work LM has moved over to the GPU?  I experience snappier panning with my 1080 when the P2 state is disabled (YMMV, of course).  At any rate, disabling the P2 state is easy to do with later versions of nVidia Inspector... and costs nothing.

Cheers,

Greg

i7-8086K @ 5.4GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600 Trident Z 15-15-15, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3D) and Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe, Malware 10 Pro 64.  P3Dv4.5