Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Gliderpilot9

NO AUTOLAND message while established on the ILS glideslope

Recommended Posts

Flying the PMDG 747-400 I establish on the ILS and use the APP button on the MCP to fly it down then at about 500ft or so a message comes up NO AUTOLAND. I'm wondering how to change this as I want the aircraft to autoflare. Out of interest flying VFR do pilots usually handle the last part of the approach manually?

Cheers,

Phil Bruen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't speak for the PDMG 747-400 controls.  When I am flying airliners, I turn off the autopilot as soon as I am above the runway, idle the throttle, and flare for landing.  You want very little flare with airliners - just enough so you know your nose is up and not pointing down.  This prevents tail strikes and it also prevents the front of the plane slamming on the runway for a smoother landing.  When I fly VFR with GA aircraft I prefer to land manually since they are slower and much easier to maneuver than airliners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Phil,

There are various reasons why the aircraft would display NO AUTOLAND, usually because of some sort of failure or misconfiguration. For example, you will need all three autopilots engaged, the IRSes must be aligned and so on. Have you got any active failures? Are you following the FCOM approach and landing procedures fully?

In answer to the second half of your question - yes, in reality pilots will normally disconnect the automatics and land manually every time, unless the weather conditions necessitate an automatic landing.


Simon Kelsey

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will get the warning too but, after configuring everything for autoland, three green will usually show up later on the glideslope.


Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BF Bullpup said:

You want very little flare with airliners - just enough so you know your nose is up and not pointing down.  This prevents tail strikes and it also prevents the front of the plane slamming on the runway for a smoother landing.  

Nothing of the above items is correct.

Concerning manual landings; Most pilots disengage the autopilot (and in some cases the autothrottle as well) between 1000 and 500ft.

Earlier than 1500ft and your concentration starts to decrease just before touchdown. (Flying manually from the OM inbound is about the worst time to start manual flying).

Lower than 200ft is also bad because you don't have enough time to get the feel how the plane handles after disengaging the AP, trim changes etc.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2019 at 10:57 AM, FDEdev said:

Nothing of the above items is correct.

Concerning manual landings; Most pilots disengage the autopilot (and in some cases the autothrottle as well) between 1000 and 500ft.

Earlier than 1500ft and your concentration starts to decrease just before touchdown. (Flying manually from the OM inbound is about the worst time to start manual flying).

Lower than 200ft is also bad because you don't have enough time to get the feel how the plane handles after disengaging the AP, trim changes etc.

Sorry mate but my landings succeed all the same.  This is for FSX flying, not real-world flying.  😉  I'm always happy to try different approaches to landings, though.  Perhaps you would like to share your perspective for how airliners are to be flared for landings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, BF Bullpup said:

 Perhaps you would like to share your perspective for how airliners are to be flared for landings?

There are tons of youtube videos and manuals which show/explain when and how to flare different airliners, so there's no need to explain it here.

Concerning pitch attitudeM; Apart from the CRJ100/200 I'm not aware of a single airliner that flies the final approach at a nose down attitude,

so your statement "just enough so you know your nose is up and not pointing down" makes zero sense.

Btw, I land airlines in FSX/P3D no different than IRL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

so your statement "just enough so you know your nose is up and not pointing down" makes zero sense.

I'm afraid you have greatly misunderstood my sentence.  All I meant was to flare enough so the attitude indicator shows you are slightly above the horizontal level line and no further.  In no way was I advocating nose-down approaching and especially not nose-down flaring.  Happy landings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, BF Bullpup said:

All I meant was to flare enough so the attitude indicator shows you are slightly above the horizontal level line and no further. 

It still doesn't make sense to me. If you fly the approach with a nose up attitude, how can the pitch attitude during the flare suddenly become negative?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, FDEdev said:

It still doesn't make sense to me. If you fly the approach with a nose up attitude, how can the pitch attitude during the flare suddenly become negative?

All I meant was to make sure you don't accidentally let the yoke go to negative attitude when you try to flare.  When I first learned how to land airliners in FSX, after turning off the autopilot, I didn't look carefully enough at the attitude to ensure I was more positive than negative.  Result: loss of flare and crash landings.  So I learned from those crashes and am sharing my experience here.  Of course you can't flare with a negative attitude.  Relax.  🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...