Sign in to follow this  
Guest davidvoogd

Lakes and rivers that freeze over?

I think it would be great to see lakes and rivers that dynamically freeze over based on the temperature, or even just by season. I'd love to be able to land on a frozen lakes in the Maule with ski's...

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well a lake doesn't just freeze because it's cold. In winter the surface of the lake gets colder because of the lower temperatures of the atmosphere. Cool water has a higher density and thus slowly "falls" through the warmer water down to a level with equal water temperatures. (sweet) water has a density anomalie because of the unique properties of H20-molecules with a peak density at 4 degrees celcius.So what happens? The lake fills up with 4 degrees cold water given it's cold long enough until the water surface is reached. This process last pretty long due to the high heat capacity of water. The more water and the less water surface the longer it takes.At the point where the lake is 4 degrees from top to bottom ice can build up very quickly. Over night so to speak :-). But it takes another period of time until it's strong enough to support an airplane.Do I want to see this simulated in flight sim?Of course I do!}(cheers,CG

Great Thesis CG I just hope landing on water is much improved in FSX (frozen lakes might be a long shot)... :-hah

It would probably be a lot easier to just freeze the water at 0, or by the season (hard winter only perhaps?).

Personally I'm not tripping on that "sunken into the snow" look... we get that all the time with FS2004, dont we? That looks exactly like how it looks now when wheels/skis/floats look when on anything but a perfect runway and/or with contact points that arent spot on. Now, if that was intentional to look that way, then great... I like that... but really theres no way you can tell just because half the ski's are under the snow when I often see tires sunken into concrete runways.

Love that picture....but where's the tracks that got the plane there? Was the plane just sitting there, and the snow started...and got deeper?I'd love to see the tracks just to confirm the reality of the shot.

Hi,Some guessing here:I would assume that the tracks will be done as an Effect (like water wakes, but with the staying power of runway skidmarks). They will probably have a time limit on their visibility, to reduce the frame rate load.Take care,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Ya it would probably like the trails left on the ground by the MAAMSIM DC-3.