Sign in to follow this  
iFlySimX

P3D V4.5 VR Worth It?

20 hours ago, leefree said:

VR in P3D is ok but coming from Xplane 11 VR, P3D VR needs work. You need 3rd party software called Flyinside to be able to use the VR controllers in P3D and its a pain in the but to use them to manipulate switches and knobs and buttons. I did the flyinside trail for P3D the other day and was not impressed. VR in Xplane 11 is so much easier and better. You can rotate knobs and flip switches. In Flyinside for P3D, you hover the virtual index finger over a button or switch and do a drag action kinda like you would using a mouse cursor. It was annoying as hell. Hopefully Lockheed steps it up a bit in the VR department. The only reason I still have P3D installed on my PC is because I  spent quite a bit of cash for the PMDG 737, 747 and the 777.

This is true. I use physical controllers and mouse and don't bother with flyinside. I think that works well. I'm not sure I would want touch controllers for the yoke anyway. I aslo found that flyinside works reasonably well with default airplanes but not so good with addons line PMDG. 

VR in P3D is great, VR in X-plane is even better.

ignore the people who tried it for a handful of hours (or less) and then quit - it’s the same as quitting FSX/P3D after an hour because it’s too hard to land the plane.

You need to commit.

In the early hours, you’ll likely get motion sickness. Your brain may also struggle with the resolution.

Give it a month, build up your tolerance and before you know it “pancake” flying will be unthinkable.

Gear:

You DO need top-end gear for flight sim VR in 2019. I used to fly with a GTX970. A GTX1080TI is more like what you want. And a CPU clocked somewhere near 5K. You can get by with less, but if your sim is stuttering your VR endurance and enjoyment will suffer.

You DO need to be realistic with your add-ons and sliders.

Suggested beginner HMD in sept 2019: definitely the Rift S. There’s some other great headsets - i love my Odyssey+’s panel - but the WMR-based gear has a lot more quirks.

I haven’t flown without VR for a couple of years now, and the tech has come a long way in that time. I would never go back to 2D.

• Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

21 hours ago, pgde said:

Do any of you wear prescription glasses? How does VR work with that? Can you continue to wear your glasses when using the headset?

Thx!

Pretty strong ones actually. You can wear them under your headset, but I prefer the available insets.

https://vroptician.com/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andreh said:

This is true. I use physical controllers and mouse and don't bother with flyinside. I think that works well. I'm not sure I would want touch controllers for the yoke anyway. I aslo found that flyinside works reasonably well with default airplanes but not so good with addons line PMDG

Since I don't have a yoke and pedals I use my xbox one controller for pitch, roll and rudder/nose wheel steering and since I'm a right hander, I use the touch controller to mess with switches, buttons, knobs and the throttle in Xplane 11. The whole mouse thing in P3D is a buzz kill but I love my PMDG aircrafts.

Edited by leefree