Sign in to follow this  
LecLightning56

FLAI AI Boeing 787 Stalls on Approach

I have just managed to find a way to use the bgl files from AI Live Traffic with VoxATC, thereby providing some element of "live" control of AI aircraft with VoxATC in Prepar3D v4.5. I am using the FLAI package as the AI input to AI Live Traffic and thence the compiled bgl files read and processed by VoxATC. Watching arrivals at Heathrow, I noted that all Boeing 787 aircraft eventually stall and crash into the ground on the approach. Closer inspection of the aircraft themselves has revealed that the flaps do not operate on these aircraft on the approach, but the slats are extended. No other aircraft type has this issue and flaps are set appropriately to the airspeed on the approach for such AI aircraft.

Any ideas as to why the flaps do not function with these aircraft (Boeing 787) on the approach? I also noted that the flaps are set correctly for the Boeing 787 for takeoff, so it is only on the approach that problems exist. The FLAI Boeing 787 models are freeware FSPXAI aircraft in origin.

One possibility may be the way that VoxATC operates on AI aircraft with its own control of behaviours which has upset things specifically for the models concerned. 

Edited by LecLightning56

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

This happens with other AI models too, for example with the CRJ900s from the AIG OCI collections. I see the same behavior in other apps that create and direct AI planes through SimConnect - as I suspect that Vox ATC does too.

I don't think that anybody has ever put much research into why the simulator handles the same aircraft models differently depending on how they have been created - but that is how it is. Some aircraft models work well, others don't. It seems almost like the BGL based AI traffic has a different logic of its own, separate from the AI controlling entity of the sim that handles all SimObjects, moving and non-moving. You can easily create normal user-controllable aircraft as AI traffic too - but quite a few have dreadful flight behavior when under control of the simulators AI logic. They only fly correctly when you fly them...

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

It looks as if the FSPXAI Boeing 787 models used for the FLAI package may be incompatible with P3D v4. I have just substituted the FSPXAI Boeing 787 models with UTT Boeing 787 models (compatible with P3D v4 and borrowed from AIGAIM - OCI) and there are no problems as described above. I note that the FSPXAI models are at version 1 status and there is a version 2 product available (payware) which is compatible with P3D v4.

An interesting comment. I use the freeware FSPXAI 787 models in P3D v4, and they seem to work OK most of the time. However, I have seen them "tail strike" on landings now and again....

I use the payware v2 of the 787 from FSPXAI and I have never seen anything abnormal in their behaviour inside P3Dv4.5. Of note, I do not use .bgl based AI traffic, but a heavily modified version of UT2...

Maybe it's because the vast majority of AI models in the past have been freeware, but I am somewhat reluctant to start paying money for AI planes when I struggle to find spare cash at all for flightsim addons these days.