Sign in to follow this  
Ed Kammerman

Still having stuttering issues with FSX in Windows 10

When it is rebuilt, it will be located in the same folder as your FSX.cfg.  You should see just "dll" depending on how you have Windows Explorer configured.  A lot of times, addon developers make backups of the dll.xml so that they can return to your old configuration if you uninstall the addon. 

I told you to rename the dll.xml to dll.off so that file should be there too.  Just remove the "off" after deleting the new dll.xml. Then you should be able to edit it.  If you do not have the old dll.xml, you can reinstall (repair) an addon and the program will add the entries in the dll.xml you rebuilt.

The most important thing to remember with CTD's with FSX is the fact it was most likely caused by an add-on.  Only time you will have an issue with FSX is when you mess with the fsx.cfg.  Developers add things to the dll.xml and the modules they install may be missing or corrupted.  This is why I suggest rebuilding the fsx.cfg too if you have a crash (but I see you have already done that).  I have not seen too many crashes caused by the scenery.cfg but it could have issues too when addons are installed.  One other issue could be the SimConnect module if a product is not installed properly.  HiFi does an excellent job making sure Active Sky is connected properly. 

On 9/29/2019 at 5:02 PM, Ed Kammerman said:

Scenery settings between ultra high and high, basic scenery addons are Free mesh, FSC2010 and FSX nav updates. A fair amount of airports (asstd. developers) and several 3rd party aircraft (primarily PMDG) weather AS2016. My PC specs are in the original post, which are quite sufficient in my opinion

I see there was an update to FSC2010 in August.  Hope you installed it.  You shouldn't have any problems with airports developed by third party developers (I assume they are freeware).  Freeware aircraft for FSX may have texture issues and if they are not compatible with FSX, they can cause a crash.  The AVSIM Library has a lot of freeware made for FS9 and earlier and much of it is not compatible with FSX.  That's why we hope developers who submitted files to the Library years ago update their products for FSX (and P3D) compatibility.  It appears your issues are with an add-on and you need to find the culprit.  A clue is the fact your sim works since you rebuilt the dll.xml and returned it to the default config. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim, after renaming the dll XML file and restarting FSX as I said I could not locate the new. Dll XML file, it was not where it should be. And you're correct there's a lot of older files from installations of updates and new programs, but no clean copy of the. Dll. XML file. What I'm considering doing is backing up the current one which is the one you originally had me basically turn off and relocating it to another location on my hard drive. Then what I'm going to do is create a whole new one and cleaning out everything else  pertaining to that file and see if that shows up. I can always copy and paste to the new one entries from the old one one at a time and see how that work. I have notepad plus plus so that should work.

Just now, Ed Kammerman said:

Jim, after renaming the dll.XML file, and restarting FSX  I could not locate the new Dll.XML file. It was not where it should be. And you're correct, there's a lot of older files from installations of updates and new programs, but no clean copy of the Dll.XML file. What I'm considering doing is backing up the current one which is the one you originally had me basically turn off and relocating it to another place on my hard drive. Then what I'm going to do is delete all the older dll.xml files. Then load FSX and hopefully it will create a clean dll.xml file that I can find. What I plan to do, since I have Notepad++, is copy and paste or manually enter entries from the old one to the new one, one at a time and see how that works. I will let you know. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

8 hours ago, Ed Kammerman said:

I can always copy and paste to the new one entries from the old one one at a time and see how that work. I have notepad plus plus so that should work.

I recently had to rebuild my dll.xml and that's exactly what I did but think it is easier to simply reinstall the programs that have entries in the dll.xml.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

Sorry it's been so long for a follow up. I've resolved the issue by doing 3 things.

1 Ran Tweaking.coms' repair tool which dose a very good job of tuning up your PC, I just wouldn't run it too often, it will over do things.

2 rebuilt my dll.xml file step by step as you recommended.

3 Found a post here back from 2010 by Umberto from FSDT pertaining to pauses (not stutters) caused by their Addon Manager. This was fixed by an adjustment in the Addon settings in FSX. Unfortunately at this time I don't remember the exact details due to old man's memory (lol)

Ed 

• Like 1