Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flybynumbers

Gaming desktops to run fs 2020 smoothly.

On 10/11/2019 at 11:08 PM, Concodroid said:

I mean, the Xbox can run Forza 7; it's really graphically demanding. The Xbox One X can run it at 4k. And Forza's the same size as MSFS 2020, at ~100 gigs.

And also we have the new 9th generation consoles (PlayStation 5; Xbox Scarlett) which are (supposedly) 4 TIMES better than the One X.

We'll see, but I doubt that it's gonna need that much optimization. Certainly some visual effects will be turned off, but if Xbox delivers their promise, they might not need to...

just so you know, Xbox One X can't run at 4k. It can upscale it to 4k from 1080p, but not true 4k. I prefer PCs for this, and other reasons, but if PS5 and XBS are going to be amazing, it may change my mind.

On 10/18/2019 at 10:51 AM, mcmini said:

just so you know, Xbox One X can't run at 4k. It can upscale it to 4k from 1080p, but not true 4k. I prefer PCs for this, and other reasons, but if PS5 and XBS are going to be amazing, it may change my mind.

Erm... actually, it is true 4k, at least for games that can run at 4k, which are most of them. It's on the Xbox Support page. 

"On Xbox One X, 4K content is displayed in its native 4K resolution, and other content (like games encoded for 1080p) is upscaled to 4K. Games on Xbox One S also get upscaled to 4K. While typically smoother and more detailed than native 720p or 1080p, upscaled 4K is not as rich and detailed as native 4K. "

The PS4 Pro is upscaled to 4k, the One X isn't, it's native 4k. (That's why I don't really get Sony fan-people).

The clue I'm watching right now of how all this will work out practically, is how Google Stadia is going to operate. 

Pretty sure MS will follow the same route

And that methodology is hugely exciting.  No need for ANY expensive or sophisticated hardware at all. 

Simply stream via a chrome box directly to your TV in 4k and 5.1 surround sound.  Couldn't be more convenient or easier! 

2 minutes ago, Jonnoxx said:

The clue I'm watching right now of how all this will work out practically, is how Google Stadia is going to operate. 

Pretty sure MS will follow the same route

And that methodology is hugely exciting.  No need for ANY expensive or sophisticated hardware at all. 

Simply stream via a chrome box directly to your TV in 4k and 5.1 surround sound.  Couldn't be more convenient or easier! 

That model is fine for streaming things like movies where there is no user interaction, or perhaps for interactive content where the latency is VERY low, but in something like a game or a simulator, even 100ms of latency between clicking a button and the action of the button happening would kill the whole experience. Imagine a first person shooter type game where the content is all streamed.... the person with the lowest latency would have a HUGE advantage over those with the highest.

Watch a movie where the audio is only 50ms or so out of sync. It's already more than annoying.

Latency cannot be eliminated. The speed of light as a constant dictates this. There is talk of "predictive" rendering to create what Google calls negative latency, but how the heck would that work on a sim?

Sorry, but until quantum coupling is used to sync client and server, latency will be a big issue.

Would otherwise be the plausible answer, b737.  Except that Stadia is very much being launched as the GAMING platform of the future, and not at all a mere "movie-streaming" facility. 

It would seem then that Google has solved the "latency problem" ? 

1 hour ago, Jonnoxx said:

Would otherwise be the plausible answer, b737.  Except that Stadia is very much being launched as the GAMING platform of the future, and not at all a mere "movie-streaming" facility. 

It would seem then that Google has solved the "latency problem" ? 

I'd love it if they have but I'd need to see it to believe it - in a real situation, not a staged demo using perfect connections. I've been forced to use a variety of Citrix based systems for years. Where those servers are close (pretty much onsite) the experience is fine. As soon as the servers are moved further away, latency becomes an issue. Maybe I'm hyper sensitive to it, but any noticeable delay between a requested action and the result of that action adds a huge level of frustration.

I actually spend most of my time in SE Asia. The internet here is far better than it used to be - I can get 250mbps+ download from certain US destinations, for example, but latency is still high to those destinations (220ms+ to west coast US for example). Makes little to no difference for a straight download, but as soon as the connection needs to be "chatty" then all the bandwidth in the world means nothing.

Again, if they've got the solution, all power to them and they can expect to get their grubby hands on (even more of) my money.

Well I couldn't wait for recommended specs to come out so I did a custom build on iBuyPower.com. I am pretty confident this PC will be future proof for whatever MSFT 2020 throws at it...including VR. I just got a text update that it has completed the Burn-in final inspection and is being packaged for shipping...should be here this early next week. 🙂

Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor (8x 3.60GHz/16MB L3 Cache)
Asetek 690LS 360mm Liquid Cooling System
64 GB [16 GB x4] DDR4-3200 Memory Module 
ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB GDDR6 (VR-Ready)
ASUS TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING -- RGB, 802.11ac WiFi, USB 3.1 (6 Rear, 4 Front), TUF Protection
850 Watt - Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB - 80 PLUS Gold, Full Modular 
500 GB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
1 TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD 
2 TB Hard Drive -- 256MB Cache, 7200RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

11 hours ago, Flybynumbers said:

Well I couldn't wait for recommended specs to come out so I did a custom build on iBuyPower.com. I am pretty confident this PC will be future proof for whatever MSFT 2020 throws at it...including VR. I just got a text update that it has completed the Burn-in final inspection and is being packaged for shipping...should be here this early next week. 🙂

Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor (8x 3.60GHz/16MB L3 Cache)
Asetek 690LS 360mm Liquid Cooling System
64 GB [16 GB x4] DDR4-3200 Memory Module 
ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB GDDR6 (VR-Ready)
ASUS TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING -- RGB, 802.11ac WiFi, USB 3.1 (6 Rear, 4 Front), TUF Protection
850 Watt - Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB - 80 PLUS Gold, Full Modular 
500 GB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
1 TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD 
2 TB Hard Drive -- 256MB Cache, 7200RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

That is one kick butt system, but as far as future proof, nope.  Technology will continue to evolve and in just a few months there will be even more powerful CPU's and video cards.  It's just the way it is, but for now, you have an awesome computer!

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

You can buy the latest and the greatest there is on the market today, and it’ll be outdated tomorrow. That’s the way the technology is. My next upgrade will be a graphic card.

Ivan Majetic

ROG CROSSHAIR X670E HERO; 7900X3D; NZXT KRAKEN ELITE 360, GIGABYTE RTX 4080; G.SKILL TridentZ DDR5 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ALIENWARE 3423DWF

4 hours ago, Johnny19 said:

You can buy the latest and the greatest there is on the market today, and it’ll be outdated tomorrow. That’s the way the technology is. My next upgrade will be a graphic card.

4 hours ago, stans said:

That is one kick butt system, but as far as future proof, nope.  Technology will continue to evolve and in just a few months there will be even more powerful CPU's and video cards.  It's just the way it is, but for now, you have an awesome computer!

Thanks! Not future proof for MSFT 2020???? This PC is probably more "kick butt" than the one they are testing on! 🙂

(Someone said they are using a Titan rtx but 2080 ti is no slouch next to it)

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-Titan-RTX-vs-Nvidia-RTX-2080-Ti/m664199vs4027

My 2014 PC was middle range by 2014 standards since I only needed it to run fsx (i-7, 8 GB ram, gtx 780ti) but still meets the minimum specs for DSC World 2.5 which was launched in 2018

On 10/25/2019 at 9:24 AM, Flybynumbers said:

Thanks! Not future proof for MSFT 2020???? This PC is probably more "kick butt" than the one they are testing on! 🙂

(Someone said they are using a Titan rtx but 2080 ti is no slouch next to it)

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-Titan-RTX-vs-Nvidia-RTX-2080-Ti/m664199vs4027

My 2014 PC was middle range by 2014 standards since I only needed it to run fsx (i-7, 8 GB ram, gtx 780ti) but still meets the minimum specs for DSC World 2.5 which was launched in 2018

Just wait until MSFS is release and third party developers like PMDG begin making add-on software.  I'm sure the envelop will be pushed further out and even faster CPU's, maybe with even more cores, and faster GPU's with more VRAM will be required.  It's just the way that it is with simulators.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

5 hours ago, stans said:

Just wait until MSFS is release and third party developers like PMDG begin making add-on software.  I'm sure the envelop will be pushed further out and even faster CPU's, maybe with even more cores, and faster GPU's with more VRAM will be required.  It's just the way that it is with simulators.

True..11GB should be plenty...also that's why I went with 64GB Ram instead of 32. 🙂

18 hours ago, Flybynumbers said:

True..11GB should be plenty...also that's why I went with 64GB Ram instead of 32. 🙂

I remember building my current computer and at the time everyone said that 2 GB of RAM and 128 MB of VRAM was all anyone would ever need.  Not even three years later and that was no where near enough RAM or VRAM, so new video card and new RAM to get to my current specs, which are now so outdated and insufficient that it is laughable.

6 hours ago, stans said:

I remember building my current computer and at the time everyone said that 2 GB of RAM and 128 MB of VRAM was all anyone would ever need.  Not even three years later and that was no where near enough RAM or VRAM, so new video card and new RAM to get to my current specs, which are now so outdated and insufficient that it is laughable.

You need to start asking different people 🙂

In 2016 a gaming PC would have needed at least 16GB RAM, and 3GB VRAM (GTX 1060) to be considered future proof because it can still run most games today such as DCS World 2.5, Resident Evil 2, and probably will be "ok" for another couple of years without any upgrades. Back then, I definitely would have opted for the GTX 1060 (6GB) or 1070 or 1080 for 8GB VRAM.

Resident evil 2 recommended specs (2019)

• RAM: 8GB of system memory
  • Graphics card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 or AMD® Radeon™ RX 480
  • GPU RAM: 3GB of video memory

I expect the average recommended specs for most games in 5 years to be 16GB-32GB RAM and 6GB-8GB VRAM.

I have no doubt that my 64GB RAM and 11GB VRAM will take whatever MSFT 2020 can throw at it.🙂

On 10/27/2019 at 1:10 PM, Flybynumbers said:

You need to start asking different people 🙂

In 2016 a gaming PC would have needed at least 16GB RAM, and 3GB VRAM (GTX 1060) to be considered future proof because it can still run most games today such as DCS World 2.5, Resident Evil 2, and probably will be "ok" for another couple of years without any upgrades. Back then, I definitely would have opted for the GTX 1060 (6GB) or 1070 or 1080 for 8GB VRAM.

Resident evil 2 recommended specs (2019)

• RAM: 8GB of system memory
  • Graphics card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 or AMD® Radeon™ RX 480
  • GPU RAM: 3GB of video memory

I expect the average recommended specs for most games in 5 years to be 16GB-32GB RAM and 6GB-8GB VRAM.

I have no doubt that my 64GB RAM and 11GB VRAM will take whatever MSFT 2020 can throw at it.🙂

I built this computer about 10 years ago, and the experts were right at that particular moment in time, but their advice was short lived.

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.