Sign in to follow this  
BIGSKY

How Much is One Petabyte of Storage?

1 hour ago, zalox said:

A tech question.

What about TBW (degradation by bytes written) on a SSD drive?

SSD have limited writes. My 512GB Samsung Evo850 can "only" write 75TB before reach his limit.

If the proces is "download escenery">"erase escenery">"download another escenery"..lots of GB erased over a year...a lot of degradation.

If you choose to cache specific regions, these regions won't be deleted.  Only data streamed from MS servers will be deleted as the cache fills up.  It's a valid point though.  If you fly to new regions all the time you could eventually wear out an SSD.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, goates said:

Might have to look into getting one of these to cache things:

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/open-source-data-storage-server/

They sometimes put old ones up for sale, if you happen to live nearby.

We had a few of boxes of an earlier revision of the storage pod at my workplace a number of years ago.  The design has come a long way since then, I could see this being a legitimate option for simulator businesses, or simmers with deep pockets and high demands.

Steaming scenery.

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3374/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II/RTX 4060/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU

A very interesting thread, thank you guys,  but not very reassuring for those living at the end of an ADSL2 twisted pair.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam