Sign in to follow this  
P_7878

Pilotable Sail Ships in SIM - Part II

In my earlier post on Sail Ships, (member) Bernd had alluded to a key historical event that some of the well-known Sail Ships, originally built in Germany, in 1920s/1930s, (mostly) by the famous Blohm & Voss Shipyard Company, were eventually transferred to other countries following WW II (as war reparation). This post illustrates 5 (pilotable) Sail Ships, out of which the first 4 make up a group of (identical) sister-ships (currently adopted by (and residing in) 4 different countries).

1. Gorch Fock II, shown here, is a three-masted ship, built in 1958 in the construction sites of Blohm & Voss of Hamburg, to replace "Pamir" which was lost in 1957 (see Side Note below). It is the ship-twin of the Gorch Fock I, built in 1933, which later became Russian Tovarishch after the WW II. Gorch Fock II is now a training vessel of German Navy, and a proud symbol of Germany’s distinguished sailing and shipbuilding traditions. [Side Note: The Pamir (Ship), referred to above, was built and launched by Blohm & Voss in 1905. On 21 September 1957, she got caught in Hurricane Carrie and sank off the Azores coast in heavy storm.]
  2. USCG Eagle was formerly the Horst Wessel and also known as the Barque Eagle. The ship was built, in 1936, by Blohm & Voss, as a German sail training ship, but was decommissioned at the start of World War II. The vessel was then given anti-aircraft armament and re-commissioned in 1942. At the end of the WW II, Horst Wessel was acquired by the U.S. as war reparation, and has been since used in the Coast Guard operations.
  3. The three-masted ship "Sagres" was launched in 1937 by Blohm & Voss in Hamburg for Germany's Navy. Sagres is a sister ship of the Gorch Fock, the Horst Wessel, and the Romanian training vessel Mircea (see below). The Sagres was captured during WW II and later given to the Brazilian Navy as restitution. Sagres now sails under the Portuguese flag as a naval training ship.
  4. "Mircea" is a three masted barque, built in 1938, in Hamburg, by the Blohm & Voss shipyard as a training vessel for the Romanian Navy. This is the last of the series of four sister ships, and her design is based on the successful plans of the Gorch Fock. After World War II she was temporarily acquired by the USSR, but later returned to Romania.

And, the 5th (and final) ship, in this post:
This tallship "Passat" was one of the famous German "Flying P-liners" from the Laeisz shipping company. She was also built by the Blohm & Voss shipyard in 1911. First she was a pure cargo-ship, but faster and more efficient than steamers of that era. She carried nitrate from Chile to Germany and grain between Australia and Europe. Since 1959, she has been preserved as a museums ship in the harbor of Travemünde/Lübeck/Germany.

So, please find, below, 2 images each for: (1) Gorch Fock II (2) USCG Eagle (3) Sagres (4) Mircea (5) Passat

(as a tribute to (and reminder of) the myriad sail ships that had roamed the seven seas during the Age of Discovery)! Thanks for your interest. [FW Ships by Henrik Nielsen/Erwin Welker]

QWEi1y.png

AKwiDl.png

XHKjmE.png

fKvbNM.png

U9OL3t.png

RmX9mx.png

Brr3Db.png

OG3lh3.png

Tp9suL.png

RVDFAD.png

• Like 4

Beautiful ships, P_7878. I hope you don't get scolded here by fellow members for deviating from our favorite subject: airplanes 😉😉

• Like 1

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

Thanks! Yeah...🙂....10 knots is, anyway, probably a bit slow for our travel around here....

But, it is fun to use the magic of "MAP" to place these beautiful things, wherever one likes, for a short cruise....In my earlier post, I've used locations such as Juneau, Milford Sound, Norway, Southern Alaska etc...

Of course, the AI Ship Project will place the traffic accurately in accordance to region and city...

***Calm Seas and Winds***

• Like 1

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

What a wonderful post!  I too am a big fan of the old sailing ships.😍

Not quite as attractive in FS9 due to the sea reflection but great fun nonetheless. 

• Like 1

Thanks, Ed! Glad to know of your interest in Sailing Ships...!

On 10/20/2019 at 9:08 AM, Phantom88 said:

***Calm Seas and Winds***

Patrick: Yes, the sea and the winds, here, are, in fact, too calm...🙂...(btw, I do recall your rough-weather carrier landing clip...)