Sign in to follow this  
Noooch

Procedurally Generated Hangars?

Is it such a thing possible?

For example if I am at a default airport and Azure detects a hangar nearby from satellite imagery, could it "augment" it not only with exterior model but also with opening gates and an interior model created procedurally "on the fly" more I approach it with my plane?

1570953106-capture.jpg

Edited by Noooch

I'm sure they could detect several types of hangars and place them in the scenery yes. They might deduct the side on which it opens based on where the taxiways are in some cases, but this might be a problem in other cases. Functionality like opening doors will be just part of the building type, so a hangar class object should be able to have opening doors if they program it that way. 

You should see Azure as a scenery builder, only this time it's not a human who creates the scenery. Azure just looks at the satellite photo and matches stuff it sees with objects from its library. So if it sees a tree, it will place a tree in the scenery database, if it sees a runway it will place a runway and if it sees a hangar it will place a hangar. Now if the tree object was programmed to sway in the wind, it will sway in the wind. If a windmill was programmed to rotate at a specific speed based on wind direction and speed it will. Azure has nothing to do with that anymore, the objects will function just like they would have been put there by a human just like in FSX/P3D/X-Plane.  

From what we've seen the Azure builder has a little bit more functionality than just putting pre-made library objects, it can create buildings based on base shape and height and also use the satellite images to color them (that's why we see so much varying buildings). But nonetheless these objects will be of a specific class which can have specific functionality. 

So humans may create fully functionnal hangars and when Azure detects one, the fully functionnal hangar will be there?

2 hours ago, Noooch said:

So humans may create fully functionnal hangars and when Azure detects one, the fully functionnal hangar will be there?

Well those humans would probably need to be working for Asobo, but yeah probably. They create and model functional hangars, windmills, tree types and building types and Azure will then configure them and place them. 

1 minute ago, Raymond.Groenendijk said:

Well those humans would probably need to be working for Asobo, but yeah probably. They create and model functional hangars, windmills, tree types and building types and Azure will then configure them and place them. 

That's great! I also think Asobo should be the ones doing it, that would populate the 40000 (at least those having hangars) in a very interesting way.

18 minutes ago, Raymond.Groenendijk said:

I thought Azure not only places them, but also models objects. Hard to imagine Asobo staff creating the sheer number of buildings to fit the shapes dictated by the Bing map imagery. 

5 hours ago, Noooch said:

Is it such a thing possible?

For example if I am at a default airport and Azure detects a hangar nearby from satellite imagery, could it "augment" it not only with exterior model but also with opening gates and an interior model created procedurally "on the fly" more I approach it with my plane?

1570953106-capture.jpg

I don't think it's possible. But they could develop a whole bunch of different types of hangars, and then let AI determine which one best matches the structure. This hangar is beautiful I will leave the plane in the hangar. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OSJJ1985 said:

I thought Azure not only places them, but also models objects. Hard to imagine Asobo staff creating the sheer number of buildings to fit the shapes dictated by the Bing map imagery. 

Yes for as far as we know Azure also models objects. But this will probably only be for generic buildings, not for things like hangars and windmills. Though they might have a system where they can adjust sizes and maybe color of these specialized objects.

Nitpick:

It's possible, but it wouldn't be based on Azure. Azure is about 2D placement and colors, and satellite imagery. FSX autogenerated hangar facades from a library of artwork. This game still has graphical artists. This sim will still do this. If there are hangars you could enter, that would be based on design and the game's programming, not Azure. (Theoretically this should be possible in FSX or X-Plane.) It's a cool idea. 

I am curious about the above segment from the E3 announcement. My initial guess is that it's some sort of universal hangar for players to manage their payload and so forth. 

I am also very curious, it is bizarre no one has see any hangar at the Preview Event...

that particular scene could be part of a well modeled included airport or it could be a cut scene or it could be a hangar/showroom in the sim where you can choose which aircraft to fly -- but where would the 747s be? -- it could be something else entirely.

whether its a model or not is something i dont know and I wish they would be more clear on if we are dealing with models with textures or buildings created by shader code.  I think the latter would be much more efficient and more of a modern way to do things but I dont know so I wish they'd just be plain about it.  Some of us want to know.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

42 minutes ago, Noooch said:

I am also very curious, it is bizarre no one has see any hangar at the Preview Event...

We got a little blinded by the lovely pictures/vids that nobody really expected for a sim. But looking with cold eyes, the more we know, the more we see that the sim is far from being finished.  Hangars, trees, water, airfields etc. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

6 minutes ago, domkle said:

... far from being finished.  Hangars, trees, water, airfields etc. 

whats wrong with the trees and the water?  aside from not every tree being replicated as its exact correct type in sim?

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

Just now, sightseer said:

whats wrong with the trees and the water?  aside from not every tree being replicated as its exact correct type in sim?

I didn't say that anything was wrong  but that we don't know much about many things. The sim has obviously still many rough edges as it is normal at that stage. 

Trees : number of varieties, shapes for each variety, what about hedges, will they make something out of  the green blobs that we have seen here and there etc. etc. 

Water : we've not seen any water close by with waves, an important topic for the floatplane crowd.  Another thing, I was quite surprised to see the Garonne blue as it is a heavy silted river meaning there is no  shading yet everywhere.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam