Sign in to follow this  
Guest CowlFlapsOpen

I want our old forum back!

Guest rpjkw1155

And it's only gonna get worse.Bob

I agree. As I said before, this is a mess. - Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest JimC1702

Count me in, I don't visit here nearly as often as I used to because of all the FSX posts. I'll be the first one in line to buy it, but right now it just doesn't interest me all that much. Of course, in the grand scheme of life it's not a real big deal one way or the other.Jim

Well, I was going to post a fairly negative response to the subject of this thread but decided against it. Instead, I'd prefer to thank Tom Allensworth and the rest of the Avsim staff for volunteering their time for the past 10 years in providing one of the best FS sites on the internet.I have gleaned more information and joy from this site than any other on the web for over 9 years and hope they continue to provide the same exemplary service for Aviation and Simulation for the next decade and beyond.Ian.

Guest CowlFlapsOpen

It seems like some interconnected issues are surfacing: 1. Only a minority of users have FSX in some prerelease form but (understandably) they have come to dominate the forum as they are busy learning about their new product and therefore very vocal. The larger majority of FS9 are feeling that the marketplace of broader discussion topics has been usurped; 2. FSX is not officially released and most folks won't have it for some time yet as a result, thus many users realize that a lot of discussion real estate is being taken up by an interim product and may have to be rehashed later when the actual product comes out. Presumably, some of these discussion did not have to happen as they concern topics (like keys, installation, and bugs, etc) that will be moot when the actual program is released. and3. Because the program is not actually released, there is no official MS support. Many of the issues discussed are the types of issues that would normally be specific product support issues but folks are looking here (again, understandably) for help.As I said in my earlier post, change happens. I'm not sure what MS hoped to acheive by releasing betas and demos but for the time being confusion reigns. For my part, I am weaning myself from this forum a bit and spending more time in the Hanger Chat area (FSX doesn't surface there) and at forums on other sites. I'm not going away however as I really enjoy the folks here and plan to have FSX in a year, when I can afford the substantial hardware upgrade. Also, there are still some good general topics here, you just have to look a bit harder for them. Further, some of the FSX topics here do help us better understand what FSX will be like when it finally comes out. Cheers

I agree. There should be seperate forums for FS9 and FSX. I, like many others, don't plan on getting FSX before I have a new rig, which could be a year away, considering my momentary monetary situation (say that 3 times fast!).Looking for FS9 information has become a real pain in the lower back, with all those FSX threads flooding the forum

Guest david W.

I agree with separate forums. It makes much more sense.

Guest skruer

This is my first post since the forums where put together. It's now more hard to find what you're looking for.Most of the post are concerning FSX - I can see how difficult it must be for non-FSX sims to find what they are looking for.But hey - it aint my site :)

SB,I agree with your views. It was much easier when the FSX forum was seperate.Tom, please can you replace it? ;-)

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest Badger

I agree.I can see Tom's point about moderating things, but a forum is surely about users and their views.At the moment I find it hard to pick out FSX discussions from FS9 etc, without having to search or scroll through page after page.It doesn't make it fun or interesting to read. Its disjointed and hard work.I used to check the forum every day and browse around. I wanted to, it WAS great.The new merge has actually put me off from using or looking at the General Forum.Please Tom, reconsider the merge. It was too soon. The shear volume of FSX posts is ruining our experience and putting many of us off.MarkDell XPS Gen3 (3.6GHz/800FSB) | 2GB DDR SDRAM | 360GB SATA RAID 0 | 256MB ATI Radeon X850 PE (Catalyst 6.5) | Audigy 2 ZS Sound | Saitek X52 | WindowsXP Pro (SP2) | DirectX 9.0c

Guest D17S

Yea, I agree. The seperate FSX forum was handy.

About three weeks ago I would have agreed completely with this thread, but now that I just ordered the last 3 components of my new computer for FSX, I can't wait!

Hi,"in one month or so FS9 will be history for most users"...hmm! I very much doubt it. FS9 is a great sim in its own right and becomes wonderful with all the addons, both freeware and payware. Many, including myself have invested heavily to achieve a simulation that both educates and affords much ongoing pleasure for the avid enthusiast. Certainly, from what I have seen, FSX, out-of-the-box, will have much more to offer than FS9 did 3 years ago but, again, like FS9, will take time before it supercedes its customized predecessor in every respect.Your statement will be true when applied to the vast customer base plucked from the 'great unwashed' out there, but for the relatively discerning and appreciative select few, I feel sure that reality will be very different. In my case, I reckon it will be at least a year before I start debating whether to remove FS9 from my HD.It would be interesting to do a survey in a year or so.Regards,Mike

Guest PPSFA

I used to come here at least 4 or 5 times a day, and found lots of valuable information. Now I poke my head in once every few days to see if the powers that be have reversed their error.This was a bad decision, and Tom should see that and not let his ego stand in the way of setting things right.

Exactly right Mike. I suspect there are many more of us who will be using FS9 for a while yet. All indications are that FSX performance under WinXP isn't going to be all that great. And many of us aren't going to go with Vista just to get DX10. No, I think many of us are going to stay with FS9 for quite a while.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.