Sign in to follow this  
jonpatch

FS Scenery question, need help!

Hi everyone,I have a mess of addon scenery: UT Canada/Alaska, UT USA, GE Pro and before that BEV, Vancouver+ and some freeware airports and as of yesterday I added Real Environment Pro.I would like to get back to basics and reinstall the base scenery so that I can add each of the programs again and see what each one actually adds to FS.Would reinstalling the default textures in SceneryWorldtexture from Disk 4 be a good place to start or should I delete the addons before hand? Thanks for your help.Cheers

I think from the mix of stuff you listed there (scenery AND texture packages) you'd be honestly best to reinstall FS from scratch. UT alone replaces many, many bgl files and it would be a nightmare to unwind this manually.Rename your current install to OLD or something, and start again. That's my honest tip. Pain, I know, but worth it. You'll find that you probably don't need half that stuff eg BEV and GEPro are mutually exclusive.

Agree. I think there can be a problem with some of those texture addons in that they create a "backup" of the "default" files -- but if you weren't careful about how you configured prior to installing, the backups may not actually be the default textures. Thus I would first try to do an uninstall in reverse order of installing, to remove any "backups" that are floating around, then reinstall the defaults (you might want to look at the top level flight simulator 9texture folder too). Then do your own texture backup before installing any of these addons. You might want to take a look at "fs manager" which can create backup texture sets.scott s..

Thanks guys,Appreciate your help. It seems like such a daunting task as I have aircraft addons as well which have got updates and I have to figure out how to reinstall them along with the scenery... with thier respective updates as well.Hopefully I will notice something in FS9.Cheers,

Guest allcott

Just create a whol new installation of FS9 elsewhere on the computer and copy across the scenery folder and files - AND the scenery.cfg AFTER backing up the scenery.cfg in your bulked-out FS folder first AND renaming the current scenery folder to something else.The sim won't pick up on any scenery or mesh sitting in the addon folder but all your other addons will still be in place. If it causes problems then you only need to restore the scenery folder and replace the scenery.cfg and you're back where you started. Allcott

>Just create a whol new installation of FS9 elsewhere on the>computer and copy across the scenery folder and files - AND>the scenery.cfg AFTER backing up the scenery.cfg in your>bulked-out FS folder first AND renaming the current scenery>folder to something else.>>The sim won't pick up on any scenery or mesh sitting in the>addon folder but all your other addons will still be in place.>If it causes problems then you only need to restore the>scenery folder and replace the scenery.cfg and you're back>where you started.>>> >AllcottThanks a bunch Allcott,I am trying to wrap my head around this:1) New FS9 install... I'll name it FS9New2) Rename current (old FS9) Scenery folder3) Copy Scenery folder over to old FS94) Back-up FS9 scenery.cfg5) Copy over new scenery.cfg6) Start FS9.So then I am back to the base textures and a plain scenery.cfg without all the addon scenery, right? If everything looks ok I can then reinstall UT Canada/Alaska and UT USA back into the Scenery folder and reenable the old scenery.cfg which will bring my addon scenery back to life. Simple (after reading it over about 20 times, I think I've got it)!Cheers,

Rob, I'm not clear on #3, do you mean copy scenery folder from old FS9 to FS9New?As you're probably aware programs such as Ultimate Terrain, Vancouver+, Misty Fjords and others that modify default files will not be properly installed unless you use their installation procedure. Copying the scenery folders only will create a schmozle. You have to install these programs from scratch.Copying over your scenery.cfg from your old installation to your new one will create further problems, since the programs above will have scenery library entries which you will duplicate when you re-install other programs.Best bet: clean install of FS9; clean install of your addons. For those addons that have been added to your Addon Scenery folder, you can indeed copy those over, but I suggest you add them to the scenery library in the FS9 interface. Keep your old scenery.cfg for reference of course.Let me know if I've misunderstood anything.Jon

Hi Jon,Good to hear from you. From what I gather Allcott suggested a new install of FS9 then copy Scenery default file and scenery.cfg over to old version of FS9. I wonder what that will do to UT, GE Pro etc...I considered doing a fresh install of FS9, the many aircraft and scenery addons but it just seems to be a huge task. I have Vancouver+ as well as Nigels CYVR 4.2+ and all the .bgl fixes that go with that have to be reinstalled, Level D767, PSS T7 & 757, PMDG 737 & 747, UT Canada/Alsaka & UT USA, GE ProII (and all its texture sets) and Active Sky 6, so as you can see a fresh install will take a whole bunch of work. It's ok considering what the lower mainland is going to be like in the coming weeks, so maybe I will go ahead.Cheers,

Alrighty, Rob, sounds like you know what you're doing.And we plan an upgrade for Vancouver+ avaiable in October. Free for 1.0 owners.Jon