Sign in to follow this  
Hammer308

Question regarding FSX Re-install

3 hours ago, Hammer308 said:

until of course I told them that I was able to install & fly the demo flights

There is no demo version that comes with FSX.  I mean, why buy the full product only to use a demo to see if you like it before you buy it.  You can download and install a very limited demo version for free - https://download.cnet.com/Flight-Simulator-X-demo/3000-2115_4-10570927.html.  The demo version has 2 airports, 2 missions, and 3 aircraft.

If you purchase and install FSX Deluxe or FSX Gold Edition, there is a Kiosk mode where retailers could turn on at stores to show off what the simulator looks like.  Individuals also had the opportunity to run several missions if the retailer also had it setup with a throttle.

In order to be able to run in Kiosk mode, you must install FSX and run FSX one time to generate indexes.  You have done this according to your posts.

Try deleting your fsx.cfg or rename it to fsx.off.  Restart FSX and you should see the terms for using FSX.  Click okay and the Activation screen should appear.  You will need to be at an active Internet connection to activate.  Follow the directions for activation.  If this does not work, delete or rename FSX.cfg again and try again.  It sounds like FSX Gold is properly installed.  You just need to activate.

The FSX.cfg folder is hidden.  Here are the steps to view hidden files and folders (astaken from the AVSIM CTD Guide):

Hidden System Folders-Some actions below require opening/moving hidden files located in hidden system folders. Not to worry, this is not all that complicated. To learn how to show hidden files in your operating system, go to your Windows Search feature and type in Show Hidden Files, then look up in the menu and click on Show Hidden Files and Folders (this works with all Operating Systems) Once you have “Folder Options” open, click on the “View” tab and you will see the following:

HiddenFolders.PNG.348b672f8e842a503688d7ca89ccc8b4.PNG

Simply click on Show hidden files, folders, and drives and click OK. Now that you can see hidden files and folders,here are the locations of the files you will need to view:

😄\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10