Sign in to follow this  
Guest davewins

FSX - Retail - Performance impressions

Guest guyjr

My system specs - Athlon XP 4000+, 2 GB RAM, GF6800 Ultra w/256MB, Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS. This machine was close to top of the line a year ago (when I built it).FSX, out of the box, at KATL, flies great - 20 FPS. On pretty much the absolute lowest detail settings... no airport buildings, hardly any autogen, no traffic. mmm k, time to up the ante a bit...I have it set on pretty much normal everything, no water detail, no ground traffic, 40% airline, 15% GA, high res clouds, 80 mile draw distance, 1280x1024x32 w/bilinear filtering, no AA.I get a staggering 7 FPS sitting on the tarmac at KATL with the Baron 50 (non-glass cockpit). If I turn on cars, 6 FPS... turn on water detail to high, 5 FPS.I've tried getting the sim to look as close to FS9 as I can, and that FPS counter is not going anywhere near 10 FPS.By comparison, in FS9, with GEPro, Ultimate Terrain, and the PMDG 747, all settings to the max, I get around 20 FPS at the exact same location.I'd like FSX to be all it can be on my machine, but for now, I just don't see it happenin'... especially with any add-ons.

Guest FxF3

I thought my geforce ultra was a good graphics card untill I installed my ATI X1800xl. Then I saw that it really had problems no headroom for AA just no match at all for the newer stuff from ATI and Nvidia.I would also turn down Global texture res it makes your plane and the world look great but its a frame rate killer if you have not done so.You may need to just go in and turn all the sliders off then start out slow one notch at a time till you get it down to where you like it and the FPS are good for you.

Guest odog

Locked and rock solid at 23fps There's plenty of head room that's for sure, but with medium high settings it's BEAUTIFUL and silky smooth.sorry to hear you cant get it running right. I think you need a 7 series card.gotta go...

what did i tell you, nothing improved from the first beta.

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Guest odog

you're right Clayton, I had no problems running then, none now.

ok ok...take it easy, lets not get started up over this...it was obvious from the 1st demo that upon retail release there were going to be a ton of users feeling let down due to poor performance, and of course there will be more than a few who will be happy with it once adding in the add-ons and tweaking for hours if not weeks on end to get it running well like that.We already know the sim runs like a pig so dont expect it to be so flyable with addons on a mid range or lower machine...its even been bringing the high end machines to their knees in tears. In time folks will discover settings and cfg adjustment to let them run it the best they can and that will be that until cpu's start running at higher clocks...do not expect to be running complicated panels/planes in the sim just yet, youd be better off in fs9 for now....but folks, what i dont understand quite simply is why...oh why do you go out and actually buy the game after finding out that the demo runs like crap on your machine (mine included) and then moan about it?...you will NOT get better performance (or anything else) from the retail version no matter how much you wish it :-)....in fact you might even get worse results depending on the scenery of course!...for cryin out loud, if you havent done so yet...go install the latest demo and see how it runs BEFORE buying it!Dave

>what did i tell you, nothing improved from the first beta.I see a very sizable improvement here between the beta and retail code... Wish you'd stop with these pointless posts man, they're in almost every FSX thread on this forum. We get it, you hate FSX - don't buy it then and let the rest of us talk without interuption...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest guyjr

I'm definitely going to start over from square one with everything turned off, when I get the time. Given the numbers of people who expect eye candy and great frame rates though, I seriously think there is a market opportunity for another flight simulator besides FSX or X-Plane.

Guest nels

>Locked and rock solid at 23fps>> There's plenty of head room that's for sure, but with medium>high settings it's BEAUTIFUL and silky smooth.>>sorry to hear you cant get it running right. I think you need>a 7 series card.>>gotta go...>>Exactly my experience too, with the new build demo. I expect it'll be the same in the retail version. I'm completly bowled over by how well (30+FPS locked) this runs on my machine and the immersion is fantastic. Thank you ACES!Birds, cars, people, missions, beautiful water, lovely boats, scenic sunrises and early morning take offs. Drenched runways with soaked landings and high altitude clear blue airways - Awesome experience.Nels

I've tried the latest demo. It's convinced me that I simply can't run autogen on my system. Even turning it on with sparse results in a slideshow. Bloom and traffic are also big hits. Eveertying else I can fiddle with and not take too much damage (around 25 fps locked at 1600x1050).The thing is, no autogen is kind of a deal-breaker for me. I like the sharper landscape textures, but not having that sense of depth, even though autogen is scaled oddly, just kills immersion at low altitudes (where I typically fly).My system is getting old but I haven't really been compelled to upgrade. Everything I've bought recently, even some demanding games, has run fine.I think I'm just going to wait this out a year or two. Otherwise, I'll just spend all my time fiddling with settings and tweaks.

Guest 777LR

>>Locked and rock solid at 23fps>>>> There's plenty of head room that's for sure, but with>medium>>high settings it's BEAUTIFUL and silky smooth.>>>>sorry to hear you cant get it running right. I think you>need>>a 7 series card.>>>>gotta go...>>>>>>Exactly my experience too, with the new build demo. I expect>it'll be the same in the retail version. I'm completly bowled>over by how well (30+FPS locked) this runs on my machine and>the immersion is fantastic. Thank you ACES!>>Birds, cars, people, missions, beautiful water, lovely boats,>scenic sunrises and early morning take offs. Drenched runways>with soaked landings and high altitude clear blue airways ->Awesome experience.>>NelsSorry but I don't believe your '30 fps' claim unless you

Thanks for taking the time to share your FSX experience. I hope others follow soon.RH

Guest nels

>>>Locked and rock solid at 23fps>>>>>> There's plenty of head room that's for sure, but with>>medium>>>high settings it's BEAUTIFUL and silky smooth.>>>>>>sorry to hear you cant get it running right. I think you>>need>>>a 7 series card.>>>>>>gotta go...>>>>>>>>>>Exactly my experience too, with the new build demo. I expect>>it'll be the same in the retail version. I'm completly>bowled>>over by how well (30+FPS locked) this runs on my machine and>>the immersion is fantastic. Thank you ACES!>>>>Birds, cars, people, missions, beautiful water, lovely>boats,>>scenic sunrises and early morning take offs. Drenched>runways>>with soaked landings and high altitude clear blue airways ->>Awesome experience.>>>>Nels>>Sorry but I don't believe your '30 fps' claim unless you