Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

Moving current Windows 10 x64 Pro to new rig

Two-Three years ago, when MS was offering universal Free Upgrades for OS, took the opportunity to move from my existing Windows 7 64-bit Pro to such a free Upgrade Windows 10 64-bit Pro, so there was nothing to pay or buy.

Question for OS wizards here is, I am about to build an Intel  9th Generation-based rig, so can anyone kindly advise how I can re-install that existing Windows 10 64-Bit Pro OS to the new rig without the Licence Key, or if that Key was supplied at the time of that universal  Free Upgrade, which I do not recall, where such a Key located? I do not want to pay for an OS I already have.

Thanks for any potential answers.

Hello,

you don't need a key, I believe that your "ownership" is now stored in a cloud.

At least when asked to activate my copy, it just does it.

I will be interested to see what happens to you when you try to activate it on

what will clearly be seen as a new PC.

8 minutes ago, Reader said:

Hello,

you don't need a key, I believe that your "ownership" is now stored in a cloud.

At least when asked to activate my copy, it just does it.

I will be interested to see what happens to you when you try to activate it on

what will clearly be seen as a new PC.

Thanks for that swift response. Appreciated.

That's what worries me, the new rig activation.

I'm in the same situation at the moment. I should have it updated this weekend. (i'm using the same ssd and grapics card, so it's not a complete new PC build. You might have to follow this procedure. 

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-windows-10-license-new-pc/

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I am virtually in the same boat, Jude. Okay, new CPU(i7-8086K), motherboard, AIO, graphics card, but same OS SSD and existing HDDs holding add-ons.

Tried to locate one of your posts where you had listed a CPU thermal paste but could not find it, so ended up ordering Arctic MX-4. Not sure if it is vastly superior than the Arctic Silver I have used previously.

Thanks for the link.

Edited by vc10man

I upgraded my MOBO, cpu, and memory a couple of weeks ago.  I deactivated P3D.  I also removed all of the old MB drivers.  Then shut down and replaced components.  I booted up and it took longer than usual but finally asked for activation.  I activated using my Microsoft account and it all worked great.  I did reinstall P3D which is on a separate SSD along with all of my other P3D software.

The worse case, I have heard about, is having to activate by telephone with Microsoft and that was simple.

John

I have done the exact same thing in awhile back. Build a new rig and moved my Windows 10 activation over to my new Pc. I don't remember the exact steps, but you need to register your PC with your Microsoft account before you trash your old PC. You can easily switch your windows log in, from a local login to a Microsoft Account log in in the Control Panel. 

Then just install a new version of windows 10 on your new rig. Log in on your new Win 10 with your Microsoft account. You can then deactivate your old PC and activate your new one.  So, you defiantly can move your activated Windows 10 to an new PC. You can then switch the login back to a local one if, for some reason you don't want to leave it with a Microsoft account login. 

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

1 hour ago, vc10man said:

Thanks, John and Rick. Fully appreciate the tips.

Forgot to mention one thing, just in case you are not aware. When you install the new version of Win 10, make sure its the same version you currently have, Home, Pro, etc. When installing Windows 10, when it asks for your serial or registration number, don't enter one, and proceed without entering a number. It will continue the install. 

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

1 hour ago, rickjake said:

Forgot to mention one thing, just in case you are not aware. When you install the new version of Win 10, make sure its the same version you currently have, Home, Pro, etc. When installing Windows 10, when it asks for your serial or registration number, don't enter one, and proceed without entering a number. It will continue the install. 

Thanks for that heads-up,Rick. I have only ever had Windows 7 x64 Professional before, and upgraded in 2016 to the exact in Windows 10 x64 Pro, so following you tip, should be fairly straight forwards.

Edited by vc10man
Bad grammar

On 12/4/2019 at 4:50 PM, vc10man said:

I am virtually in the same boat, Jude. Okay, new CPU(i7-8086K), motherboard, AIO, graphics card, but same OS SSD and existing HDDs holding add-ons.

Tried to locate one of your posts where you had listed a CPU thermal paste but could not find it, so ended up ordering Arctic MX-4. Not sure if it is vastly superior than the Arctic Silver I have used previously.

Thanks for the link.

I also got the  Arctic MX-4 

Jude Bradley

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

12 minutes ago, Jude Bradley said:

I also got the  Arctic MX-4 

Thanks for endorsing that, Jude. Am about to make a nervous start outside-the-case 'testing' that the CPU, the Asus mobo, RAM and the AIO all function okay before embarking on case build. Intrigued is that an older system you have listed under your signature?

With all the trouble of reinstalling windows, I didn't get time to update my signature, until now, that is:)
I had to run this on my "new" system and then run the wizzard and activate the new machine with my previous machine identifier. 

Jude Bradley

Please bear with me Jude, as I am a tad confused by that YouTube you posted.

So, current old rig, Windows 10 x64 Pro. New rig, I want to re-install the current Windows 10 x64 Pro.

Thus, using the steps listed here in previous posts, as this was a free Upgrade from the then Windows 7 x64 Pro in 2016, I re-install Windows 7 x64 Pro on the new rig using that Windows 7 x64 Pro Product Key, Upgrade it to Windows 10 x64 Pro, and then I can then re-activate Windows 10 x64 Pro after having followed that video clip you posted?

.. I u installed all the drivers, boot to a safe mode, it came up & then I reboot WIN10 came up, & I started to update the drivers, it wotked