Sign in to follow this  
KFXE

It's Official! My very first ever OOM error

AVSIM also has a CTD Guide and page 36 explains Out of Memory errors.  The cause of it is the fact you have a 32 bit application (FSX) and only allowed up to 4 GB's of virtual address space (VAS) by Microsoft Windows (and that is only if you have a 64 bit OS installed; if a 32 bit OS, then 3GB's is the limit).  Look in the description of the CTD Guide for the link to the CTD Guide as the AVSIM Tech is working on fixing the AVSIM link.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

4 hours ago, KFXE said:

Is there any way that the GPU or Graphics Card could cause this issue? 

FSX is highly CPU dependent, so my first guess wouldn't be the GPU, but honestly, anything is possible. 

I ran a 760Ti without issues and your 1060 is more than capable. 

The only alternative other than swapping out the card and seeing if the problem goes away is to install the latest drivers.   You could also try re-seating it.

What do your frame rates look like?

Ernest Pergrem

17 hours ago, airernie said:

FSX is highly CPU dependent, so my first guess wouldn't be the GPU, but honestly, anything is possible. 

I ran a 760Ti without issues and your 1060 is more than capable. 

The only alternative other than swapping out the card and seeing if the problem goes away is to install the latest drivers.   You could also try re-seating it.

What do your frame rates look like?

I haven't had any crashes or unexpected video issues, other than OOM a couple of times.   In between the simulation is silky smooth and with great graphics.

The frame rate target is set at 48 but I do not know how to get the actual frame rate.  To my eye it looks smooth as glass.

The VAS I believe is a number associate with virtual memory created by the PC and so does not indicate a problem with the GPU...at least that's what I gathered from my reading so far.

Still, I always end up down to 600,000KB to 300,000KB after the simulation has been running a while.   It usually starts around 1,200,000KB but drops fairly rapidly as I fly and nowhere close to the 2,500,000 some have suggested I should have.   And this is with ZERO add-ons other than FSUIPC4 (free)

As such, Add-Ons would be impossible for me to install I think.

Edited by KFXE

Doesn't SHIFT-Z bring up the framerate in the top left corner of the display in FSX?

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

17 hours ago, KFXE said:

It usually starts around 1,200,000KB but drops fairly rapidly as I fly and nowhere close to the 2,500,000 some have suggested I should have.   And this is with ZERO add-ons other than FSUIPC4 (free)

I never asked, can I assume that you are getting your VAS numbers from FSUIPC using the following values in the fsuipc.ini file?

[Monitor]
Display=5
Monitor0=0,024C,4,0

Edited by airernie

Ernest Pergrem

On 12/13/2019 at 7:36 PM, HighBypass said:

Doesn't SHIFT-Z bring up the framerate in the top left corner of the display in FSX?

I don't know, but I will give it a try.  Thanks

17 hours ago, airernie said:

I never asked, can I assume that you are getting your VAS numbers from FSUIPC using the following values in the fsuipc.ini file?

[Monitor]
Display=5
Monitor0=0,024C,4,0

Ernie,

Thanks so much for your assistance.

In FSUPIC4 (free version) I have 024C and U32

This was configured right in the logging menu.  I haven't edited the INI file.

It would be a huge relief to find I simply had not configured FSUIPC4 to give the correct numbers.

I will add that FSX seems to be working well.  I haven't had any OOM's or crashes in about 20 hours of flying in the last 5 days.

I have it installed on two totally different machines.  One is decidedly more capable.  But both give similar results.  For testing purposes, I've been running the same flight and the same settings on both machines just to see how much "better" my "better" machine plays the sim.  I've honestly been very disappointed.  There isn't much difference.

If I look hard, I can see slightly more effects with the 1060 GTX 6GB, but to be honest, it's a small difference that I have to look for.  Both machines run smooth frame rates and both are set with most settings nearly maxed out.   Note however that on Machine 1 the frame rate target is set to 48 vs 30 for Machine 2.  This surprises me as I would have expected MACHINE 1 to blow MACHINE 2 away.   But that is not the case.  To me, the simulation looks and feels nearly identical on both machines.  I'm clueless.

MACHINE 1

OS - Windows 10 Pro, Processor    AMD A10-9700 3094Mhz  10 Cores 6C + 4G,   RAM 16GB, GPU - PNY 1060 GTX 6GB, MAINBOARD - AsRock AB350M Pro4 (Release Date February 2017)

MACHINE 2

OS - Windows 7 Ultimate, Processor    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+ 2600Mhz,   RAM 2GB, GPU - Nvidia Quadro 2000, MAINBOARD - FoxxConn A78AX (release Date - January 10, 2011 )

Why on Earth aren't these two machines showing a massively different FSX experience?  Again, the sim looks and feels nearly identical on the two.

9 hours ago, KFXE said:

In FSUPIC4 (free version) I have 024C and U32

This was configured right in the logging menu.  I haven't edited the INI file.

It would be a huge relief to find I simply had not configured FSUIPC4 to give the correct numbers.

As long as you're seeing the VAS numbers then it's configured correctly. For illustration purposes it's quicker for me to pull up the fsuipc.ini entry than open FSX, open FSUIPC, etc. 

9 hours ago, KFXE said:

both are set with most settings nearly maxed out.

If you're settings are maxed out then seeing the low VAS numbers is to be expected.  Especially if you're also running high AI traffic numbers.  Even modern CPUs can choke.

• Like 1

Ernest Pergrem

Actually, the more powerful your computer, the faster you will run out of VAS with high FSX settings.  I have UTLive and it has one configuration for both FSX and P3D.  No problems with P3DV4 since it is a 64 bit app but I can literally sit on the runway at Seattle with FSX and watch the sim crash and run out of memory as the UTLive AI loads.  It takes less than 30 seconds.  So, to compromise, I have to lower my UTLive AI settings to 30% for Airline Density so I can use FSX.  Even at 30% I have to get out of Seattle fast.  It would be great to disable FSX in UTLive and use the default AI program but UTLive only has one setting that fits all sims.

In P3DV3 (also a 32-bit program like FSX), I turned Autogen up to the max and flew the F35 from Richmond to Wash DC, just 75 miles.  Upon arrival at Wash DC, my sim ran out of memory.  Lockheed Martin has since optimized Autogen and it is difficult to do that today for those who still own P3Dv3.  In FSX, this program can no longer be upgraded unless you move up to P3D (an upgraded version of FSX).  P3DV4 is a 64-bit upgrade to FSX and 64-bit programs just do not run out of memory.

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

1 hour ago, airernie said:

As long as you're seeing the VAS numbers then it's configured correctly. For illustration purposes it's quicker for me to pull up the fsuipc.ini entry than open FSX, open FSUIPC, etc. 

If you're settings are maxed out then seeing the low VAS numbers is to be expected.  Especially if you're also running high AI traffic numbers.  Even modern CPUs can choke.

In one of my posts above I mentioned that lowering the settings to all the way left didn't make a whole lot of difference.   Some, but I never got anywhere near the 2,500,000 free VAS others report.  Maybe picked up 100,000 free VAS?

I have installed FreeMeshX USA Beta on Machine 2

OS - Windows 7 Ultimate, Processor    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+ 2600Mhz,   RAM 2GB, GPU - Nvidia Quadro 2000, MAINBOARD - FoxxConn A78AX (release Date - January 10, 2011 )

Amazingly it's running fairly smooth but free VAS has dipped to 200,000KB once and the warning beeper started.   That was with all settings maxed out.   I then backed off AutoGen to NONE and it's back up to 318,000KB.

I'm impressed how well an older, seemingly very inadequate machine runs the sim even with 52GB  of add on scenery.   Haven't tried it on my "better" machine yet with the 16GB RAM and Nvidia 1060 GTX 6GB GPU.

But I will say MAJOR KUDOS to FreeMeshX USA Beta !  👍👍👍

Wow!   Around KFXE and KFTY it's the first time ever flying FSX or any flight sim that it actually starting to look recognizable and real as far as ground scenery.!

And amazingly.....it's FREE.  Thanks MUCH FreeMeshX team.  🙏

Spoiler:  This is the first add-on I've ever added to FS other than FSUIPC4

• Like 1

Yes! I don't have the beta, but I do have FMX installed for the rest of the world, apart from a couple of custom meshes here and there, IIRC.

(Actually I currently have OFX mega mesh for the USA)

It really is quite satisfying when you can recognise your local topography (and famous landscape features elsewhere!) when virtually flying VFR. :cool:

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)