Sign in to follow this  
stratosfeerick

Have the Asobo team tried VR?

Does anybody know if the Asobo team have tried VR flying themselves? My feeling is that if they did, they would see how vr is clearly the future for flight sim. Of course, it’s early days yet, but even so, I would still never go back to a flat monitor.

• Upvote 2

They've worked with Microsoft on HoloLens for almost a decade.

They've said time and time again that they weren't planning on doing VR *initially* because they felt the current gen VR hardware and controls were lackluster.

Edited by LB777
  • Like 1

what LB777 said, Asobo created a Virtual Seattle for the Hololens and that looked so stunning good that Microsoft asked if they can create the whole world with this techique and the rest is History, it ended in the new Flightsim 😋

Edited by Nedo68
  • Like 2

100% VR flyer - Valve Index & RTX 2080 ti

Hololens is AR, not VR. The sense of scale is completely different. I have played with the Virtual Seattle for the Hololens. It's more like looking at a model of Seattle, but you don't feel "in" it as in VR.

On 12/13/2019 at 6:09 PM, LB777 said:

They've said time and time again that they weren't planning on doing VR *initially* because they felt the current gen VR hardware and controls were lackluster.

Really?? If they actually said that, they’re crazy. Current gen VR is a heck of a lot better than flatscreen, definitely the best way to fly in 2019/2020.

But I haven’t heard them say anything of the sort, so I’ll suggest that what you’re saying they’ve said “time and time again” is fake news.

This is what they actually said:

”This week’s interview suggests that in the months since then, the enthusiasm for VR support among the flight simulator team has grown even stronger. When asked where VR was in the priority list, “Very high! Asobo and I have years of experience with VR. We know what a lazy and a good implementation look like. We want to bring a good solution, for example by cutting off the cockpit from the rest of the world. Then you can move freely in it, and the world in the background does not start to shimmer. We have started with VR, but we want to do it right.”

TL;DR it’s nonsense to say that Asobo have said “time and time again” that current gen hardware/controls are lacklustre. What they have said is that they really like VR, but want to get their implementation right.

If you have evidence they’ve said what you claim, post your source.

• Like 2

Rob

Sim rig: i9900K @ 5GHz, 1080 Ti. Flying X-plane, P3D v4.5 and Aerofly FS2 in VR.

It's better to be on the ground wishing you were the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground. 

2 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

TL;DR it’s nonsense to say that Asobo have said “time and time again” that current gen hardware/controls are lacklustre. What they have said is that they really like VR, but want to get their implementation right.

Alright I'll rephrase it for you since re-reading it now I can see how it could be interpreted this way:

They've said time and time again that they weren't planning on doing VR *initially* for all sorts of reasons, one of them mentioned for 10 seconds during an interview a while ago was that they felt the current gen VR hardware and controls were lackluster.

I'm sorry I do not remember in what interview this little snippet of info appeared, so I don't blame you if you don't believe it. I never quoted them either so the words used were porbably less inflamatory than mine. Hopefully we can agree on the general premise that they just want to do it right, and having hardware available to be able to do it right is a big part of it.

7 hours ago, LB777 said:

Alright I'll rephrase it for you since re-reading it now I can see how it could be interpreted this way:

They've said time and time again that they weren't planning on doing VR *initially* for all sorts of reasons, one of them mentioned for 10 seconds during an interview a while ago was that they felt the current gen VR hardware and controls were lackluster.

I'm sorry I do not remember in what interview this little snippet of info appeared, so I don't blame you if you don't believe it. I never quoted them either so the words used were porbably less inflamatory than mine. Hopefully we can agree on the general premise that they just want to do it right, and having hardware available to be able to do it right is a big part of it.

Well, that’s better, but you’ll have to admit there’s a big difference between “time and time again” and “Once, during a ten second verbal comment, that I may well have imagined!” 😊

The reason that I care is that there’s far too much misinformation around Avsim suggesting VR isn’t ready/is lackluster.

I - like a bunch of others - gave away flat screen simming years ago, and are never going back to it. Since that time, the gear has improved remarkably, so it’s now easier than ever to fly this way.

So, as of late 2019, VR is ready and waiting for you, but it takes perseverance, excellent hardware and some flexibility in how you approach your flights.

Cheers, and happy Christmas all!

Rob

Sim rig: i9900K @ 5GHz, 1080 Ti. Flying X-plane, P3D v4.5 and Aerofly FS2 in VR.

It's better to be on the ground wishing you were the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.