Sign in to follow this  
BlueSwurl

P3D, lots of lag when in a discord call?

So when flying to Copenhagen from Vienna with my friend today, i noticed some pretty bad FPS drops and stutters, but only when in a discord call. When i landed in Copenhagen, it dropped to a horrendous 5 fps inside the cockpit (FSLabs), and around 10-15 outside, but when i disconnected from the call all was okay again.

I have tried to disable hardware acceleration and high packet priority in discord, and i'm still looking for any possible fix or cause that might help my situation here.

Christopher Bourke

Still rocking P3DV4.5 | I7-9700KF @ 3.6GHz, RTX 2060 6GB, 16GB Vengeance LPX 2666 MHz RAM

Try running discord and p3d on different cores.  For example if 6 core - 4-5 cores for p3d and last core just for discord.

It also could be audio device is conflicting with p3d and discord.  Just a theory, I usually have discord running on my end, but I never have the call feature on.

• Upvote 1

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

1 minute ago, Skywolf said:

Try running discord and p3d on different cores.  For example if 6 core - 4-5 cores for p3d and last core just for discord.

It also could be audio device is conflicting with p3d and discord.  Just a theory, I usually have discord running on my end, but I never have the call feature on.

How would i go about making discord run on one core? 

Christopher Bourke

Still rocking P3DV4.5 | I7-9700KF @ 3.6GHz, RTX 2060 6GB, 16GB Vengeance LPX 2666 MHz RAM

13 minutes ago, BlueSwurl said:

How would i go about making discord run on one core? 

Once discord is running.  Open up windows Task Manager - go to Details - Find Discord app - Right click on it; choose Set Affinity - here you can uncheck the cores you don't need and only allocate what core you want

After that then run P3D (you can set its core settings via the config file).

See if this solution works for you.

I am hoping other members have better suggestions for you (which skips the core settings all together).

Edited by Skywolf

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

58 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

Once discord is running.  Open up windows Task Manager - go to Details - Find Discord app - Right click on it; choose Set Affinity - here you can uncheck the cores you don't need and only allocate what core you want

After that then run P3D (you can set its core settings via the config file).

See if this solution works for you.

I am hoping other members have better suggestions for you (which skips the core settings all together).

I've tried your suggestion out, and unfortunately it's to no avail. Hopefully there are some out here with a possible fix, as you have mentioned. But thank you for the suggestion anyways! :smile:

Christopher Bourke

I haven't used Discord for ages, but I remember it being rather heavy on the resources. If resources are sparse, then any considerable load will present itself in this manner.

8 hours ago, BlueSwurl said:

I've tried your suggestion out, and unfortunately it's to no avail. Hopefully there are some out here with a possible fix, as you have mentioned. But thank you for the suggestion anyways! :smile:

I use Process Lasso to pull everything off of the first P3D core.  I don't let it touch P3D, but it moves every other process off Core 0.

Before you go through that trouble, you may want to just verify which core is your main P3D core (it will usually be Core 0) by using the resource monitor, which can be accessed from the bottom of the Performance tab in the Task Manager (on Win 10 at least).  Then, use task manager as Skywolf said, to remove just Core 0 (or your main P3D Core) from Discord, but let it use the rest of the cores.

If that doesn't help, that's odd because it means it is using another resource OR that there is an additional process somewhere besides the main app that is taking up resource.  To try and find it, you could take a look at the Processes tab in the task manager with and without discord running and see what looks different.  Sort by CPU, Memory, Disk and GPU one at a time both with and without Discord running and see where the drain is.  In fact, maybe do this part first...

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I'd be interested in what you find if you try these steps.

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

11 hours ago, BlueSwurl said:

So when flying to Copenhagen from Vienna with my friend today, i noticed some pretty bad FPS drops and stutters, but only when in a discord call. When i landed in Copenhagen, it dropped to a horrendous 5 fps inside the cockpit (FSLabs), and around 10-15 outside, but when i disconnected from the call all was okay again.

I have tried to disable hardware acceleration and high packet priority in discord, and i'm still looking for any possible fix or cause that might help my situation here.

Are you using the motherboard's audio, or do you have a separate sound card? For some time I was using my motherboard's sound output and was experiencing the exact same issue you are seeing. When I was flying alone, everything was fine, but when I would try to communicate on Discord, I would get terrible stutters. I installed a separate sound card, and everything has been perfectly smooth since. I've known about on-board sound issues for years, but the on-board sound was so good, I didn't see the need for a separate sound card. If I recall, it has something to do with conflicts with memory addresses, IRQ's, or something like that. Hope this helps.

• Like 1