Sign in to follow this  

FSL a321

Hello Fellow Simmers!

I'm looking to get another addon aircraft such as the QW787, however another bird has caught my eye, the FSLabs A321. I have the A320 base package and thoroughly love it, however i'm not really sure what to think of the 321. I'm aware there are large systematical differences such as the fuel system (and its DEFINITELY NOT a longer 320), but is it better to get a new aircraft first? I mean, surely a lot of the features will integrate into the 320+319 as well through updates? 

I'm aware that a lot of airlines operate the 321 instead of the 320 like Arkia as well. On the flip side, it's beautiful, and FSL will give an upgrade to MSFS most likely at a discount, so not all will be lost.

I didn't post this on the FSL forums as it would just be pro 321.

Oh, and I don't have GSX Level 2 so the cabin view doesn't really matter that much.

• Upvote 1

With you already having the base FSL 320 I'd go for the FSL321 plus you'd be saving $20 on the QW787, as the FSL has $10 off at the moment.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

The Qw 78 is a very well done aircraft probably one of the nicest looking aircraft there is. I have it but its not installed now. Why?

Well as you know the FSL is in a league of its own. But your asking what the A321 brings? Its brings a nice Bus to hand fly and land and is probably why pilots enjoy the 321 the most, its very good on flare and landing. The PBR is really nice. I cannot bring myself to fly anything but the FSL or PMDG NGu. I do love the bigger size and as normal its done to a degree no one else can come close to. So atm I am flying the A321 in the family the most.

But if you want to spend money and given the only 3 products you talk about QW 78, FSL A321 and you say you don't have GSXv2.

Then with out question you should buy GSXv2. This with the FSL is so good I would not want to go back to anything else. So imo the best bang for your bucks will be to buy GSXv2. That and the FSL is a perfect marriage. Then add the 321 if you wish later but please get GSXv2 its fantastic with the FSL A320

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Really depends on what you are looking for. As a real world pilot, I love all types of planes. I purchased a lot of aircraft and some of them I never fly. Some days, I love kicking around in a 777 and other days I like the MD80(all time favorite). I never cared much for airbuses as a pilot, but since buying the FSL 320/321 and the 330 pro, they are growing on me and I fly them often. I prefer planes that are realistically modeled and match the real world performance. I also like flying planes that are on the front edge of technology. I remember when I flew our first G550. Coming from G3s and G5s, stepping into the cockpit left me in awe. I thought going from DC10s to GVs was a big bump in technology. The 550 spoiled me with its four massive flat screens, xm weather downlink and embedded charts with moving maps. Those cameras are great and gave you the ability to be able to watch the gear retract, thrust reversers pop open and track the gear and wing tips in tight taxi areas. Then, buying the Qw787 gave me the same feeling in the sim world. So, it depends on what you are after. My advice, get them all! I love my TFDI 717 just as much as I love taking a hop in the PMDG 747. I need a good DC10 or MD11 in P3D. Good luck on your choice, I'd buy them both.     

System and procedure wise 321 is really not that different than 320 and 319, they are common type anyway (BYW the jet pump center tank can be found on some A320 and A319 now).

It's just based on if you really want something new to fly.

Hi All, thanks so much for your replies. The FSL website charges me just £3 less than the QW at the current price. Also, surely things like the CPDLC will integrate into the 320?

Oh, and lastly could this fly London-New York with a decent load?

Thanks again!

2 hours ago, Canine Crew said:

I think you'll need A318 then...

3 hours ago, Canine Crew said:

Hi All, thanks so much for your replies. The FSL website charges me just £3 less than the QW at the current price. Also, surely things like the CPDLC will integrate into the 320?

Thanks again!

I think I read in testing Norman did even longer flights than that. You can add extra tanks BTW.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Or, you could make a stop in MK's delicious new Keflavik scenery!

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

On 3/12/2020 at 7:37 PM, Canine Crew said:

its DEFINITELY NOT a longer 320

Actually, it basically is. Here are a couple of pics of a (real world) A320/A321/A330 manual which I produced for MyTravel, and Viking airlines, which eventually merged with First to become the recently defunct Thomas Cook (that's why TC flight numbers had a MT code).

As you can see, it's a common type rating book which was issued to pilots/put in the cockpit of the planes, which has three tabbed sections, one for each type, and there are literally only three extra pages inserted in the ring binder for the A321 section!

The difference mainly focuses on the smaller approach angle tail strike warning and the increased turning circle clearance for ground maneuvers. That's about it.

7kIRgEP.jpg

wVLxQhy.jpg

I have the FSL A320 (bought it twice actually, once for FSX and once for P3D), but when it came to wanting an A321, because there were so many similarities between the two types, I decided to buy the Aerosoft A320 series instead of the broadly similar to what I already had FSL one, because the Aerosoft package included the A318/319.320/321. That way I'd get a pretty good A321, but also the A318, which is significantly different from the bigger variants in that it is certified for steep approaches (5-6 degree approach angle) and has a different F/O overhead panel with switchology related to that. Buying from different developers 'spreads the love a bit' money-wise. So personally, if you want an A321 and you already have the FSL, I'd say go for the Aerosoft one, and maybe get the 318 too, since as noted, that genuinely is different in terms of what you can do with it landing-wise.

There is a third choice too, which is cheaper still, and that's the Black Box Simulations A321, which is okay, but the Aerosoft one is better.

Coincidentally, I was training on various versions of the Airbus today, putting a JBT Aerotech loading platform on them (BA and Aer Lingus airliners), since it is very tight, especially on the front of the 319 where your vehicle is right near the starboard engine, and you have to line it up perfectly or you'll never get the ULDs onto the aeroplane. You'll be pleased to know I got signed off on operating that thing and managed to avoid twatting the plane. 😊

Here's a comparison vid of the FSL, Aerosoft and Black Box A320s which I did. Might help you decide on the visual front which you prefer on your own virtual ramp. Each has its merits as you can see:

Edited by Chock
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

As chock mentioned, planes like the 320 and 321 are virtually the same from a pilots perspective. They are mostly flown and managed the same way with all of their commonality. Systems may differ, but same approach to operating. Take the Gulfstream 5 vs the Gulfstream 550. It's just a G5 with a major avionics upgrade. Instead of 6 display tubes, you have 4 big flat screens. Sitting in the cockpit, it all looks the same with some differences in switches and cursor control devices that look like side sticks on the airbus. Either way, they are flown the same with advances in approach capability and navigation. The systems are very different. Instead of the huge Autopilot and autothrottle boxes hidden behind the wall in the baggage compartment, the 550 has the equivalent of 3 desk top computers called MAUs. Two on the left and one on the right behind the veneer fancy wood paneling on either side of the flight deck aisle. Each has PCI card slots that are filled with PCI cards that make up the avionics. The autopilot and autothrottle system is mainly software loaded to PCI cards that tell them to perform those duties. Only the FMS and GPWS cards have memory modules on them for the databases. The 550 has more range and is a little more slippery in the flare. You pull the power at 100ft in the 550 vs the 50ft in the 5. There are some differences in the 320 vs the 321, but from a pilot perspective, they are basically the rest of the iceberg hidden beneath the water.