Sign in to follow this  
Luca6731

How to disable p factor on P46?

Just bought the Piper p46 g1000 and am really struggling to to even take off because of the planes p factor. Since i do not own rudder pedals i find it really hard to counteract it.

Is there any way to disable the p-factor on this aircraft so i can fly it properly?

Thanks.

There's a slider in realism settings that'll let you decrease or eliminate P-factor yaw.  AFAIK there's no way of doing it for a single acft short of some complex editing of the .air file.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

2 minutes ago, w6kd said:

There's a slider in realism settings that'll let you decrease or eliminate P-factor yaw.  AFAIK there's no way of doing it for a single acft short of some complex editing of the .air file.

Thanks for your swift reply. Unfortunately this slider does not affect carenado aircraft as they already have the p factor coded into the aircraft. (read about it online) I was more looking for an answer where i could modify lines of the aircraft.cfg to disable it. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Luca6731 said:

Just bought the Piper p46 g1000 and am really struggling to to even take off because of the planes p factor. Since i do not own rudder pedals i find it really hard to counteract it.

Is there any way to disable the p-factor on this aircraft so i can fly it properly?

Thanks.

There's an easy way to fix this in the aircraft.cfg file. I'm not on my FS computer right now to look it up, I'll post it later unless someone else gets to it first.

-Bob

4 hours ago, Luca6731 said:

Unfortunately this slider does not affect carenado aircraft as they already have the p factor coded into the aircraft. (read about it online) 

Don't know where you've got this info from. Have you actually tried moving the slider?

The p-factor etc. is always 'coded' into the aircraft and Carenado/Alabeo are designed strictly in line with the SDK.

With the slider, as Bob mentioned, you can reduce/eliminate this effect.

You didn't specify which PA46 you have, but alternatively, regardless of the model you can reduce all the values below to zero if you don't have pedals or a twist grip joystick.

[flight_tuning]
hi_alpha_on_yaw          = 1.0   
p_factor_on_yaw          = 0.5      
torque_on_roll           = 0.5         
gyro_precession_on_yaw   = 0.5          
gyro_precession_on_pitch = 0.5     
gyro_precession_on_roll  = 0.5  

Edited by FDEdev

Thank you all for your replies. 

I have tried moving the slider and this has worked on the default 172 but not on the pa46.

I changed the value of the "p factor on yaw" to 0 and hopefully this will work. Will try later.

Unfortunately, changing the p factor to 0 in the cfg did not towrk. i then changed all the other values you stated to 0. This did not work either.

Let me describe the problem to you in a bit more detail:

On takeoff roll with full power, the aircraft pulls to the right of centerline in a circular motion. What i mean by that is if i left the aircraft on full power, it would go round in circles. When having taken off, the aircraft banks to the right. When on an ils final, i take the AP out at 200ft ready for a smooth centerline landing, the plane banks right and completely botches up the landing.

Its really quite annoying and i would like to fix the issue.

FDEdev posted the cfg values I was thinking of, thanks Bernt.  If that didn't work Luca, I'm guessing you have other issues. Hate to state the obvious, reload the model, check control calibration, etc. You probably did that already. FWIW, I own every Carenado version of the PA-46 and none of them exhibit the the problem you describe. Good luck!

-Bob

8 hours ago, Luca6731 said:

When on an ils final, i take the AP out at 200ft ready for a smooth centerline landing, the plane banks right and completely botches up the landing.

At a low power setting like during approach p-factor doesn't have any noticeable effect and why would you want to correct bank with the rudder?

Have you check the fuel load? The PA46 turns to the left with power applied, not to the right.

Edited by FDEdev

A crosswind will also cause a number of Carenado's aircraft to veer to the side during takeoff.  This is actually realistic, but you need rudder control to compensate for crosswind and torque.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Thanks all for your replies.

Fuel load is equal on both sides when i load up and i have no active crosswinds set but the plane still banks right.

Maybe its not p factor?

none of my other aircraft do this so its very strange why only the pa46 does this.

(Steady) wind doesn't have any impact on an aircraft in flight.

If you disengage the AP during the approach, how fast does she bank to the right?

Again, which PA46 are you talking about? There are three different Carenado PA46 versions.

I have the garmin G1000 PA46.

am not able to go on my fs computer right now but I will upload a clip which will show my problem 

Ok, that's the PA46TP Malibu Meridian. (They have the PA46T Malibu Jetprop and the PA46 Malibu Mirage as well)

Can you check the loadout screen if there are any additional passengers except the forward one?