Sign in to follow this  
RudyB24

Flightsim Navigation with NDB, VOR, DME, GPS

Microsoft Flight Simulator 11 Intercept an NDB Bearing

The video shows how to intercept a specific bearing to an NDB. We’ll be flying the Cessna 172 with gauges from the MSFS Deluxe version, which has a Bendix King KR87 ADF in the cockpit. We’ll see how to operate this unit, which also features a flight timer and a stopwatch, which we’ll use to time the flightplan legs.

Link to the video.

Link to the article.

41390331jj.jpg

• Like 1

Always have fun --0-- Flight Sim Navigation

Microsoft Flight Simulator 12 NDB & ADF with Garmin G1000

We're flying the Cessna 172 with the Garmin G1000 ‘glass cockpit’ and our challenge this time is to intercept the 98 bearing flying away from the Santander NDB to the Bilbao NDB. We’ll have a look at how to tune the ADF radio in the G1000 and how to show the ADF needles.

Link to the video.

Link to the article.

41417428ey.jpg

• Like 1

On 05.04.2020 at 14:43, RudyB24 said:

Застряв дома благодаря вирусу Corona, я начал серию сообщений в блогах и видео о полетной навигации с помощью NDB, VOR, DME, GPS, которые могут быть интересны тем, кто любит запускать IFR на инструментах. Первые сообщения размещены в сети, за ними еще предстоит следить.

Flight Sim Navigation 01: Введение, NDB, VOR, ILS, GPS

Absolutely fantastic. Thank you Rudy. Your tutorials are spot on. I really appreciate your measured delivery and detailed explanations. Perhaps you would consider expanding your instruction to include basic flight aspects like takeoffs, landings, approach patterns, ATC, etc. You have an easy manner and voice of what I would conjure up as my ideal college professor.

On 6/9/2021 at 5:21 PM, RudyB24 said:

Microsoft Flight Simulator 11 Intercept an NDB Bearing

The video shows how to intercept a specific bearing to an NDB. We’ll be flying the Cessna 172 with gauges from the MSFS Deluxe version, which has a Bendix King KR87 ADF in the cockpit. We’ll see how to operate this unit, which also features a flight timer and a stopwatch, which we’ll use to time the flightplan legs.

Link to the work time video.

Link to the article.

30 minutes ago, Leo_Opolain said:

Absolutely fantastic. Thank you Rudy. Your tutorials are spot on. I really appreciate your measured delivery and detailed explanations. Perhaps you would consider expanding your instruction to include basic flight aspects like takeoffs, landings, approach patterns, ATC, etc. You have an easy manner and voice of what I would conjure up as my ideal college professor.

While watching this video, I really remembered my college teachers. Thanks, RudyB24 . It was really very helpful.😀

Thanks for the feedback guys ... it's appreciated.

The intention is to create more videos, it's just that I lacked the time lately and the coming months I'll be in the middle of a move to new house. It'll probably be January 2022 before new videos can be added.

13 VOR Navigation: fly to / from

Besides the NDB's (Non Directional Beacons) from video 12, there's another set of navigational aids scattered around the globe: VOR's, Very High Frequency Omni Directional Range (or Radio). In this video we'll see how we can tune into a VOR and how to fly to it, or away from it. We'll fly a Cessna 172.

Link to the video.

Link to the blog article.

42228571bn.jpg

• Like 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator 15 ILS Instrument Landing System

Many airports utilize an Instrument Landing System. The ILS is a special kind of VOR in the sense that it has just one radial, the one that lines us up with the runway. In addition there's a second radio beam that guides us vertically so we can fly the perfect glideslope down to the runway.

Link to the video.

42728562iz.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/30/2021 at 1:38 PM, RudyB24 said:

Microsoft Flight Simulator 15 ILS Instrument Landing System

Many airports utilize an Instrument Landing System. The ILS is a special kind of VOR in the sense that it has just one radial, the one that lines us up with the runway. In addition there's a second radio beam that guides us vertically so we can fly the perfect glideslope down to the runway.

Link to the video.

Hi,

There's a lot of great resources in this thread and thank you for providing it. I'm not sure if it contains the answer to the problem I have though. It may be in one of the videos and if so I'd be grateful if you could point me how to find it. It's possible that my question only arises because I don't do navigation according to a proper system. Essentially I like to fly GA primarily VFR but with some VOR/NDB to assist when it's easy to get lost either due to weather or just losing situational awareness. I don't do long high flights, more 30 minutes or so and fairly local so I don't tend to make turns exactly at navaids or at waymarks. I had basically decided I was doing it "wrong" when I came across this snippet which pretty much describes what I do. So to my question - what sort of flight planning tool will allow me to create these turning points ('X' in the picture below) at specific mid points? Any help very much appreciated.

Oh, and I like to fly vintage aircraft often without DME, so as the text says below "without a DME the pilot must pre-plan radials or ADF bearings"

Thanks

Phil

spacer.png

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

The tool I use is Littlenavmap.

To find point X is easy. Fly away on heading 350 with SCH 109.8 tuned in radio 1, with the OBS dialed on 350.

You also already tuned ARI 112.4 in radio 2 and dialed its OBS to 275 (the text says 265, but on the picture it looks like it's over 270, anyhow, Littlenavmap will tell you exactly what it is.) No DME needed here ... you make the turn just before the radio 2 needle is centered.

To find Y is not accurately possible without DME if there are no other VOR's or NDB's in range that can be used to line you up with the new heading. You may use a stopwatch and time the leg, while keeping a steady speed. Not super accurate, but it's the least you can do. You can look on the map for visual clues that could help you find the right spot. Or maybe the runway is already in sight.

Edited by RudyB24

15 minutes ago, Alex Wanson said:

Nice topic !

That's it??  Nothing about what a nice day it is outside?  🤔 :ph34r:

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

@Alex Wanson, your signature block is just showing a large blank area. You need to edit it to show something useful please.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Microsoft Flight Simulator 16 Intercept VOR and ILS

Let's plan and fly a short flight in the South of Corsica, during which we twice intercept a VOR radial and finally we intercept the ILS to line us up with the runway, after which we'll land using the ILS direction and glideslope needles.

Link to the video.

spacer.png

• Like 1

A new video is out: ILS in 4 minutes.

Many airports are equipped with an Instrument Landing system. ILS guides the airplane horizontally to the runway, in a similar way as a VOR, and it also guides the airplane vertically on the glidescope to the runway touchdown spot. This video shows how to find the ILS frequency, tune it in the radio, use the CDI (Course Deviation Indicator) needles to reach the glideslope and stay on it, keeping both CDI/ILS needles centered.

This is the link to the ILS in 4 minutes video

44306097dn.jpg

Lovely set of videos Rudy. Well done. I must admit I often in the Deep Winter set myself up in P3Dd in a light aircraft with OBS and RMI and use the slew function to move "somewhere" in the UK. I set weather to an overcast so i can't "see" anything, proper IFR and properly lose myself. Then start tuning aids till I can get a location, then steer towards and airport and let down with appropriate basic aids to a Non Precision approach. Really scrambles the grey matter and prepares me for the SIM when I go back to work.....

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!