Sign in to follow this  
CavalierDuck

Iceland 2020: North Coast

I realised that trying to get round the all airports I wanted to cover in one flight would be a bit ambitious, so I've split it into two rather more leisurely plans. The second flight will take us to the Reykjavik/Keflavik area, but this week we start in the small northern coastal town of Siglufjordur (BISI).  First we take a trip out to the island of Grimsey (BIGR), which is the only part of Iceland that actually lies inside the Arctic Circle. Then we go back to the mainland with stops at Husavik (BIHU), famous for its whale-watching, and Reykjahlid (BIRL) in the volcanic highlands.  Next we go to Iceland's second city, Akureyri (BIAR). I have set up a waypoint at the start of the approach from the south, which is offset and runs down a valley before a left turn onto short final for runway 01.  We leave Akureyri heading to the north west fjords, landing at Alexander (BIKR) and Holmavik (BIHK) on the way.  Our destination is Isafjordur (BIIS), famous for its tight circling approach to runway 08.  I have included two waypoints to set you up for the approach, but once you make the final turn into the fjord you're on your own!  Watch how it's done below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv_c6vA8DXE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QbWCB8AzLA

Flightplans

Download your flight plans here in PLN and GFP formats.  The GFP plan starts in Akureyri as Siglufjordur isn't in the GTN database.

Aircraft

We've got 289nm to do so anything that can cruise above 150kts should be fine, which gives us plenty of choice.  Comanche, Bonanza, C421 (or just about any twin) are a few GA options that spring to mind, or you might think of a small airliner like the Twin Otter or Dove. Air Iceland used to fly a DC-3 around here too.  As always, fly what you like.

Scenery

Orbx: Orbx did a full makeover of Iceland as a demo for their Global packages, which included textures, landclass and vector data.  They also improved all the airports in the country.  The demo was included in the Orbx EU landclass product, so if you have that you're good to go.  You may also want Vector switched on for this one, to make sure coastlines align with airports.  If you do not have Orbx EU landclass, then you can install the Iceland demo:

https://orbxdirect.com/product/ftxglobal-demo

MK-Studios Keflavik: this flight has been somewhat designed around the recently-released Keflavik package by MK-Studios.  It is completely optional and not needed.  As well as a very nicely done Keflavik, the package also includes upgrades to Akureyri, Isafjordur and Grimsey, with photoscenery+autogen around each and an improved rendition of BIAR itself.   The only problem I have with the package is the weather!

https://secure.simmarket.com/mk-studios-keflavik-p3d4.phtml

Timing

I set the start of the flight for 1000 local on 2 July 2019.  This gives decent historical weather and I find that the photoscenery areas mentioned above look best in strong light.

Particulars

Date and time: Saturday, 11th April, 2020, 1800 UTC.
Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel
Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com
Cross-Platform Multiplayer: JoinFS. (FSX, FSX-SE, and P3D).

If you want to help others enjoy the multiplayer experience, don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer spreadsheet (linked here). Your courtesy will save others a lot of time and effort. Thanks! 

• Upvote 3

I recall very well (a miracle in itself) us flying into that airport. I remember I made an absolutely perfect approach and landing. I can still your round of applause. :smile:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Setting yourself up there Ron, we'll all be watching very closely when you come in.... 😛

You'll have no trouble spotting me as I come round the bay

vbg5.jpg

I know it's well out of it's area of operations but I've spent too much time on it not to use it!

More pics HERE

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Great flight Nick - THANKS!
A little news with the morning coffee:

BEWARE - According to posts over at the Outhouse, the gifted SWS F-4B/N "may" give you a headache with your dll.xml. It seems they replace it with their own version but were kind enough to make a backup. (??) Best to just make a backup of your own or pull your favorite out of your back pocket prior to installing. Merge entries after.

In my sim, finally fixed BIHU, BIAR & BIKF, ready for the Iceland prologue. 😎 It was nothing but original left over .bgls in scenery/world scenery from the original Iceland_X release. Seem to remember some kind of hub-hub when ORBX included it with EUR landclass. Guess I just never finished the cleanup job.

Took some polaroids of the flight, you can see them here.. What a group we had yesterday!

Welcome back Jock! 👍

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Great shots as ever Roman to go with another superb flight. Thanks Nick for flight plan.

stay safe in these troubling times,

regards.

Indeed great flight Nick and thanks for pics. 

Missed Gunter's flight in France today - as we were running an Easter "drive by" drop off to our kids (and grands), then an Easter gathering online meeting with various family via ZOOM.! (Man technology sure has changed - and just what is necessary in this self isolating global pandemic!) So the visiting is over for us today.

Still lots of time for us here in this day so I'm now going to fly your France flight Gunter! Mes OUI!.

Happy Easter All.