Sign in to follow this  
Ianrivaldosmith

Graphics card for v5.

3 hours ago, Mgard78 said:

Gsync is not just about getting high fps, more than it is for smoothness.  Your 30 fps can drop down to 15 when gpu and monitor go out of sync...

I've never seen fps drop like that. I use Nvidia Control Panel to limit fps to 30 and everything is very smooth. My BenQ UHD monitor is not Gsync-enabled proving there's more than one way of skinning a cat.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 hours ago, Mgard78 said:

Your 30 fps can drop down to 15 when gpu and monitor go out of sync...

Only if you don't take the trouble to tune your PC set up properly which means Gsync is unnecessary imo. Untold threads in AVSim about setting up and testing your your PC and flight sim software to negate such issues.

Ray I agree with your comment about high res vs widescreen. Found 4K (with TiR) much better value imo for its vertical real estate esp TO and Landing. If I could afford the ultimate rig it would have 3x4K screens in portrait mode. (Given up on ever getting decent res and fov in VR coz I'm too old).

"maintain separation - stay safe"

A.Chryss - near YSCB

1. ASUS ROG STRIX X299 i9-7900X (delid - 4.9Ghz All Cores), EK 420x45 RAD, D5 Pump, EK monoblok, 32GBs GSkill 3600MHz ram 1T, Gig Aorus GTX1080Ti (2075Mhz), SSung 970 Evo 2TB & 1Tb & 960Evo 500GB NVMe, 2xSSDs. XBox controller for camera views. - Flight sims

2. ASUS ROG STRIX X570 Ryzen 3900X - 4.3Ghz (12 cores) Corsair H115i, Gig 2080Ti OC, 32MHz ram 2x 970EVO 1TBNVME  3x ssd etc.  P3D v4.5 & v5, XP11 & DCS. 43"-4k + 27"-2k monitors & tablets. Warthog controllers, Honeycomb Yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, TrackIR . - Games server

3 minutes ago, Uteman said:

Only if you don't take the trouble to tune your PC set up properly which means Gsync is unnecessary imo. Untold threads in AVSim about setting up and testing your your PC and flight sim software to negate such issues.

Ray I agree with your comment about high res vs widescreen. Found 4K (with TiR) much better value imo for its vertical real estate esp TO and Landing. If I could afford the ultimate rig it would have 3x4K screens in portrait mode. (Given up on ever getting decent res and fov in VR coz I'm too old).

I wouldn't criticise anyone for choosing widescreen over UHD. That's a personal choice and neither is right or wrong. With widescreen you compromise the vertical aspect for more width. And more width gives you the feeling of speed on take-off etc. I prefer the crispness of UHD.

There are no ultra-wide UHD monitors which I find odd. There must be a reason for that but I've never discovered it. When I look at my virtual cockpit in UHD and every sub-division in every gauge is distinct I never regret my choice.

Multiple displays still kill performance in P3D. I content myself with one and keep the sliders sensible. The biggest improvement I have made was using Affinity Mask settings to not use all cores for P3D which allows for greater smoothness at the penalty of longer loading times. You pays your money ...

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

37 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Multiple displays still kill performance in P3D.

You are absolutely correct of course, the other problem a friend of mine found was the VRAM limitation. He has 2x2080Ti in SLI he still couldn't ramp the textures up with 4k because of the 11GB limit though they ran beautifully otherwise; the 11GB was just another handbrake on his system. Now 24GB in a couple of Titans would be nice in an Ultimate rig. Again as you succinctly put it ... you pays yours money. Rumour has it the top nV 3000 model (non Titan) will have 16GBs we shall see.

A.Chryss - near YSCB

1. ASUS ROG STRIX X299 i9-7900X (delid - 4.9Ghz All Cores), EK 420x45 RAD, D5 Pump, EK monoblok, 32GBs GSkill 3600MHz ram 1T, Gig Aorus GTX1080Ti (2075Mhz), SSung 970 Evo 2TB & 1Tb & 960Evo 500GB NVMe, 2xSSDs. XBox controller for camera views. - Flight sims

2. ASUS ROG STRIX X570 Ryzen 3900X - 4.3Ghz (12 cores) Corsair H115i, Gig 2080Ti OC, 32MHz ram 2x 970EVO 1TBNVME  3x ssd etc.  P3D v4.5 & v5, XP11 & DCS. 43"-4k + 27"-2k monitors & tablets. Warthog controllers, Honeycomb Yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, TrackIR . - Games server

I have an NVLink 2080 setup, different to traditional SLI, on a 9980Xe 64GB and the all 4k setting and monitor uses 7.7GB per card and 0.2 of 31.9GB available shared. The two share bandwidth loading the sim and data faster and seem to be working pretty well perfectly in P3D.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

3 hours ago, Uteman said:

"maintain separation - stay safe"

No, if your PC for some reason cannot hold the FPS at 30, it will drop... That’s just the wat the electronics works... If it does, great, but they are not all super capable. 

1 minute ago, SteveW said:

I have an NVLink 2080 setup, different to traditional SLI, on a 9980Xe 64GB and the all 4k setting and monitor uses 7.7GB per card and 0.2 of 31.9GB available shared. The two share bandwidth loading the sim and data faster and seem to be working pretty well perfectly in P3D.

That is helpful Steve but you have me puzzled. I have watched Rob's vids fairly closely since the release of the 2080Ti and mine handles 1x 4k screen ok on the 7900X (with the 2k screen doing the addons) I have texture set at 9 but if I try 10 the Vram tops out and then the world collapses (figuratively). In Rob's recent vid the Titan was hitting 18GBs of Vram at times and regularly at 12-13. That's what triggered my comment.

I have tried both the 2080Ti and a really good 1080Ti on the 7900X and the Ryzen 3900 rigs with the same outcome (which is always going to happen if the settings use more Vram than you available).

Are you referring to Ram when you list 31.9GB shared? NVlink allows faster transfer  than PCIE as I recall but with full use of Vram on both cards that would be 22GBs or did I miss something?

A.Chryss - near YSCB

5 minutes ago, Mgard78 said:

No, if your PC for some reason cannot hold the FPS at 30, it will drop... That’s just the wat the electronics works... If it does, great, but they are not all super capable. 

Frankly this just supports my statement earlier. One tunes their machine (regardless of spec) and the software to derive the best performance available in that configuration - people do it all the time here and elsewhere. Does not matter if it is an old laptop or a high end desktop the tuning principle is the same and has been espoused by hardware and software manufactures alike.

A.Chryss - near YSCB

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I've never seen fps drop like that. I use Nvidia Control Panel to limit fps to 30 and everything is very smooth. My BenQ UHD monitor is not Gsync-enabled proving there's more than one way of skinning a cat.

You can limit 8t all you want, but it’s not a question of limiting it. You can say “I wont ever go over 150 mph”, but if your car can only do 60...

(just in case, not saying it’s YOUR particular case, just talking in general). 

Fixed refresh rate monitors can only do the frequency they work at or sub multiples, therefore if at a certain point your PC cannot sustain the 30 fps, it *will* drop to 15 and you will see it as a more sluggish appearance. 

With Gsync you don’t need to limit anything, as it adapts to whatever fps your computer is outputting, be it 30, 29, 43, or whatever., so the experience is always smooth.

https://www.gamesradar.com/vsync-gsync-freesync-explained/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Uteman said:

Frankly this just supports my statement earlier. One tunes their machine (regardless of spec) and the software to derive the best performance available in that configuration - people do it all the time here and elsewhere. Does not matter if it is an old laptop or a high end desktop the tuning principle is the same and has been espoused by hardware and software manufactures alike.

Sometimes tuning is not enough if the PC just cannot handle, and again, fixed rate monitors only operate at that frequency (or submultiples). As typical monitors are 60Hz, if you cannot sustain that you will have some of the effects.  

Edited by Mgard78

@Mgard78, my monitor supports 30Hz as well as 60. I made sure of that before I bought it. And by using London Heathrow with a set number of Ai if I could get 30 there I could probably get it everywhere.

For those whose monitor doesn’t support 30Hz and is not GSync clearly they would need a different strategy.

What do you mean by “you can limit 8t all you like..”? What’s 8t?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

24 minutes ago, Uteman said:

Are you referring to Ram when you list 31.9GB shared? NVlink allows faster transfer  than PCIE as I recall but with full use of Vram on both cards that would be 22GBs or did I miss something?

"7.7GB per card and 0.2 of 31.9GB available shared"

Total available to each card is 43GB concurrently, 11+32. They have 11 each and access to 32 system. The aggregate speeds are very high but the sim won't load up twice as fast. That's no tweaks in the cfg but performance is massive. Single 4k monitor setup.

22 minutes ago, SteveW said:

"7.7GB per card and 0.2 of 31.9GB available shared"

Total available to each card is 43GB concurrently, 11+32. They have 11 each and access to 32 system. The aggregate speeds are very high but the sim won't load up twice as fast. That's no tweaks in the cfg but performance is massive. Single 4k monitor setup.

Thanks Steve that explains it - I need to do some research now.

• Like 1

A.Chryss - near YSCB

32 minutes ago, Uteman said:

Thanks Steve that explains it - I need to do some research now.

More memory on the actual cards would be better in the long run if you can wait.

Maybee DX12 also helps with the old "issiue" that NVIDIA is typicaly the better choice for P3D.  So we could by a "cheap" Radeon VII with 16 GB HBM2 instead of an RTX for 3000 EUR

• Like 1

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT