Sign in to follow this  
bic

can't insert image

I'm trying to insert an image from amazon photos.  Basically, I upload it to them and the click the share link.  It generates a pretty big url such as https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/QEaazLXBRvKfj9zzi35-og.WJQQ7me0IVGPY5DPn74GXi  and I insert the url, but it turns pink (what does that mean?).  I turned off virus scanner, identity protection etc.. and the plugin in chrome, but still no joy.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

hello

i had the same problem, that little screen that allows you to add image only accepts an URL that links directly to an image file (jpg, png, ...)

something like this will work : xxx.mysite.com/image.jpg

something like in your example will not work with the 'insert image from url' option because the link doesn't end with the file name of the image : xxx.mysite.com/images/shared/weroweiorw

usually when you upload file to a host it will give you the possibility to see the direct link to the picture, maybe it's not the case with amazon (not sure never used that for uploading images).

Edited by Bad_T
typos

I had been experimenting with this recently with google photos which also gave a massive url if I used the Insert Image from url button.

I found this method appears to work.     1)  In google photos right click on the required image and select  'copy image location'.  2) Go to the post reply box in the forum and left click where you want the image to appear.   3)  Right click and select paste.

The image will appear with a message bar underneath stating.  'Your link has been automatically embedded', while appearing as an image in the post.  The message bar also has the option to display the link instead, but this still seems to be the large url.

I did not go as far as submitting anything, but the process appears to fit with the Avsim rules that the image showing in the post is still hosted in google photos.

Perhaps a mod could confirm this is correct.

Edited by Biggles2010
corrn

John B

I have never tried it.  Does it give a BBCode of any kind?  That is usually used to embed an image into your post.

OK since I have an Amazon account, I used your link and tried it using a screenshot that I already have.  I didn't see an embed code to use, only the link.  If you click on the link you will see the shot.

I have erased my link for now!

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

31 minutes ago, charliearon said:

I have never tried it.  Does it give a BBCode of any kind?  That is usually used to embed an image into your post.

Thanks Charlie. The older hosting sites all seem to have the BB code option, but it looks like things may have moved on.

Google photos does not provide any means to select a BB code. But using the method I described it appears to happen automatically.

Using  Copy Image Location and pasting directly in the forum submission box produces the image, with the message bar showing that the location has been embedded in the post, allowing the image to show. Seems to suggest a BB code has been generated automatically and the Insert image from url button is not needed in this case.

Just checked by doing simple  Copy Image from google photos and pasting to forum submission box.  As expected it just shows as an image without the 'Link embedded' message bar, so the above method is clearly doing something different.

John B

@charliearon im having problems to see avatars and i cannot save after uploading mine.

AVSIM tech is aware of the problem with the site and is working on it.  Please be patient

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

been down / not working ( Unread content ) since 6am, its now 14:15, just FYI

Luke Pype